Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Factory Bronze Strings

Markus W.

I want to ask if somebody knows where I can get these Gibson bronze strings they put on new guitars?

Had tried Dadario 80/20, 80/20 EXP, John Pearse Bronze, Martin SP 80/20, DR Sunbeams PB but for my taste, none of them are as good as these factory bronze strings...

A happy and good 2012,

Markus

there was a thread i remember with same question about these factory fitted strings , i think someone who knows stuff said that the strings fitted in the factory are not on sale to the public . the ones bluesking gave the link to are as close as you. an get . i'm fairly sure this person saud that the factory fitted ones will hopefully be a publicly available product this coming year

i can't wait because my gibson was second hand and i havent played these strings . but everybody asks about them , they must be a hell of a string

someone correct me or back me up on this all

If youre referring to the Gibson Maserbuilt PB strings I dont find them to be anything special. To me they sound great for a few days but really go dull quickly. Same with the J-200's.

there was a thread i remember with same question about these factory fitted strings , i think someone who knows stuff said that the strings fitted in the factory are not on sale to the public . the ones bluesking gave the link to are as close as you. an get . i'm fairly sure this person saud that the factory fitted ones will hopefully be a publicly available product this coming year

i can't wait because my gibson was second hand and i havent played these strings . but everybody asks about them , they must be a hell of a string

someone correct me or back me up on this all

If youre referring to the Gibson Maserbuilt PB strings I dont find them to be anything special. To me they sound great for a few days but really go dull quickly. Same with the J-200's.

no, it's a different string. those are PB. the factory fits 80/20 now. I think they will be available in the future, but aren't right now.

no, it's a different string. those are PB. the factory fits 80/20 now. I think they will be available in the future, but aren't right now.

Modoc,

I can't find that old thread. What was the string that is said to be the closest currently-available string to the 80/20 that are now the factory strings? Couldn't guys like you pressure the factory to "hurry up" making those strings available to the rest of us?

You know how we like to mess with strings here.

Edit: I did find the thread after all. The Gibson GM say the closest commercially-available strings are D'Addario 80/20 lights. I still wish dealers would put the pressure on Gibson to make the actual ones available, just because......

Edit: I did find the thread after all. The Gibson GM say the closest commercially-available strings are D'Addario 80/20 lights. I still wish dealers would put the pressure on Gibson to make the actual ones available, just because......

I tried the D'Addario 80/20 but they aren't close enough... Its a different string. You can see and hear it. Hope we can buy them in the near future!

Modoc,

I can't find that old thread. What was the string that is said to be the closest currently-available string to the 80/20 that are now the factory strings? Couldn't guys like you pressure the factory to "hurry up" making those strings available to the rest of us?

You know how we like to mess with strings here.

we could, but there is are a few problems..........

first, Montana doesn't make the strings. I have the most influence with the guys up there. Strings are part of the "Gear" division...which no one seems to have much pull with.

second, Gibson strings never sell as well as anything else. they always cost more, and for some reason people just don't seem to have a good opinion of them. so, it doesn't make sense for us to fight for them to make something we can't sell

third, the boys in Montana don't like them! lol. they were happier when they fitted the masterbuilt PB strings and would rather go back. That's where the corporate boys come in I guess. :(

I cant imagine 80/20's on a Gibson mahogany or maple, it would make them sound like Taylors, way too bright ! [thumbdn]

Yeah, I've got a set on my J45 now and they a way too jangly .... I'm going back to the straight phospher bronze.

I cant imagine 80/20's on a Gibson mahogany or maple, it would make them sound like Taylors, way too bright ! [thumbdn]

Just for heresay I'm currently using D'Adds 80/20 12's on my hummer. It brings out the depth of the sweet mahogany air and thump best so far for inside picking... I wouldn't generalise that PB's are warmer than bronze. On the contrary, I thought bronze was a 'warmer' string for a while. Now I just go by brand and guage to suit each guitar for tonal preference - get the best set of strings that brings out the tonal qualities of your acustic you hear and like. Interestingly I was weirdly surprised to hear the most minimal difference I have ever heard in a fresh string change of the same D'Adds on the hummer. It was as if I had never put the new set on.

I tried the D'Addario 80/20 but they aren't close enough... Its a different string. You can see and hear it. Hope we can buy them in the near future!

Very interesting...may I ask what was the main difference you heard between the Bozeman factory set and the D'Adds? - just in general layman terms...oh and was it by any chance on your hummer?

Only on rosewood I like bright strings to counter the rosewood chocolate.

On mahogany I like bright PB strings which is still a lot warmer that 80/20's

I thought Martin SP's PB on my D28 brought out it's "rosewood chocolate" - I tend to think of it more as 'sour lemons' just for a general sounding adjective. My other martin hog prefered SP 80/20 for a more vintage warmer tone. Gotta love the differring thoughts makes for great topic discussion!

Just for heresay I'm currently using D'Adds 80/20 12's on my hummer. It brings out the depth of the sweet mahogany air and thump best so far for inside picking... I wouldn't generalise that PB's are warmer than bronze. On the contrary, I thought bronze was a 'warmer' string for a while. Now I just go by brand and guage to suit each guitar for tonal preference - get the best set of strings that brings out the tonal qualities of your acustic you hear and like. Interestingly I was weirdly surprised to hear the most minimal difference I have ever heard in a fresh string change of the same D'Adds on the hummer. It was as if I had never put the new set on.

Very interesting...may I ask what was the main difference you heard between the Bozeman factory set and the D'Adds? - just in general layman terms...oh and was it by any chance on your hummer?

They sound warmer and richer with more punch on the low end. It feels softer, the strings vibrate more and I think they have less tension than the D'Adds. And I think they are 54-12's.

The winding on the low E String seems different to the Add's.

They sound warmer and richer with more punch on the low end. It feels softer, the strings vibrate more and I think they have less tension than the D'Adds. And I think they are 54-12's.

The winding on the low E String seems different to the Add's.

Thanks Markus

sounds like there worth a shot if they become commercially available or Bozeman's supplier has it out already - but I think I read on some post that they're not...I think the D'Adds are round core and the bottom E is 53 off by memory which might account for some of the difference, not sure about the winding though. My hummer is going to be 6yrs young in May and has recently had a mature spurt which I think is due to this winter and less humidity in the air with central heating. I find that she is perhaps now a little too warm and missing a little sparkle lustre in the high end. I'm not complaining too much though it just seems the 'rock and roll' in her has subdued a little and the notes are blending together more - a little less string to string definition in high mids. Like an old J50 or something like that. Funny how things come around after having her set up with Thomas Infeld spectrum 12's - the least most bright sounding string I could find at the time...My current thinking is to put on just the B and high E spectrums and keep the rest D'Adds:-k The quest continues to develop her sweet mahogany airy thump purring along and in all fairness she's developing nicely B)

I agree with a previous poster, Masterbuilt phosphor bronze lose their edge quickly.

I found that out after 25 years of buying Gibson brand, I still have like 12 sets left and i can't get rid of 'em or use them up.

Personally, I think Martin has the market on phosphor bronze (though i will admit i haven't tried any other brands besides D adds , Martin and Gibson)

But why abandon a good thing ?

Those statements made on the Masterbuilt strings ? At least the ones I remember reading about 10 years ago, stating that the only way your Gibson acoustic will 'age' correctly is with Gibson strings ? Well, I'm thinking that was a bit of a marketing gimick.

Heck, that might actually be a topic for a thread but i am sure there aren't many that remember that statement being advertised ?

Anyway, don't fear putting Martin PB on Gibsons, I've witnessed personally that the screaming and the nashing of teeth is not that bad and you'll get used to the sound(s) :)

Harmonics101

Archived