Gibson Brands Forums

Problems with tuning...

grandmaster

Hey, I have a Epiphone G400 which won't hold its tune for even a jam. If i tune it all up, and played to a song, its almost garunteed that the G and B strings especially have gone way out of tune and sometimes the others do aswell. If I tune it afterwards, and leave it over night, it will still go out of tune. Any solutions? Many thanks.

Sounds like the oft mentioned 'nut' issue

Tight nut grooves 'catching' one or more strings, which then move under playing conditions

Initially graphite lube may help

Or a guitar tech might carefully widen the nut grooves to free up tuning movement....

V

:-({|=

Hey, I have a Epiphone G400 which won't hold its tune for even a jam.

Everything that Versatile said....just a few additional thoughts.

Tight slots can cause tuning problems. Hopefully taking V's advise will solve your problem.

Also to be considered.....(as the tuners on G-400s are usually quite adequate.)

Are your strings strung properly?....(not slipping)

When did you last check your intonation?

How are you tuning? Use a tuner or by ear?

Are you out all over the neck or mostly on the first few frets? (Can be caused by high strings at the nut)

Willy

Everything that Versatile said....just a few additional thoughts.

Tight slots can cause tuning problems. Hopefully taking V's advise will solve your problem.

Also to be considered.....(as the tuners on G-400s are usually quite adequate.)

Are your strings strung properly?....(not slipping)

When did you last check your intonation?

How are you tuning? Use a tuner or by ear?

Are you out all over the neck or mostly on the first few frets? (Can be caused by high strings at the nut)

Willy

That about covers it [thumbup] Speaking only from my experiences with my and friends' guitars - as crappy as factory nuts can be, improper string winding is typically the culprit....but, again, as I said, speaking only from my experiences.... factory nuts usually "ain't something to write home about" (dang, if that ain't an old-timers expression...LOL [biggrin] )...could well be tight nut slots ... intonation would be a constant, yes??? and I wouldn't think it to cause it to "go out of tune" after being in tune (well, perhaps if the bridge is defective - sloppy saddle play or something???....dunno - but that's perhaps opening another can o' worms...heh)

Sounds like the oft mentioned 'nut' issue

Tight nut grooves 'catching' one or more strings, which then move under playing conditions

Initially graphite lube may help

+1. Almost all 'tuner' problems are actually nut problems, and most of them are solved by using graphite (the kind used on padlocks). When I started using graphite on all my nut slots, my 'tuner' problems disappered.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned: Are the strings getting tarnished and/or do they feel rough to play?

•  
  • Fresh strings that are properly wound on their posts and fully stretched are essential for stable tuning.
  • Poor intonation will result in the guitar not being in tune with itself along the whole length of the neck.
  • A poorly cut or poorly lubricated nut will cause little pinging sounds when tuning up or down due to 'binding', especially on the G and B strings.

Archived