Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Les Paul PlusTop PRO/FX

kristof_w

Hi everyone,

I really like the Epiphone Les Paul PlusTop PRO/FX, and I will probably buy one this summer, but now I'm starting to get a little bit concerned. [unsure]

I've found some reviews and comments online where people say: "Hurry up and get one, because it seems to be a limited edition!". Is this really a limited edition guitar, and if it is: how long will they still be made? Because I'm saving up right now to buy it in the summer and I'm already kind of hooked on this guitar [rolleyes]

I hope you guys have some good news for me [thumbup]

Thanks

Hi Kristof, welcome to the forums, there's a great bunch of geet geeks around here, I hope you like the place.

The Custom Shop and Limited Edition monikers usually don't mean a lot in the Epi world, if it sells well, they'll normally keep making them.

As RaSTuS says, Epiphone Limited means, well, not much...........Limited Edition Epis can, and are often, made for many years in a row........

ie, I have a "Limited Edition" Epi LP Studio I bought over two years ago........They still make them.........

As RaSTuS says, Epiphone Limited means, well, not much...........Limited Edition Epis can, and are often, made for many years in a row........

ie, I have a "Limited Edition" Epi LP Studio I bought over two years ago........They still make them.........

[thumbup] thanks guys. Well whatever happens, I'll have to wait until I've worked this summer to buy one, and I'll just have to find one that's available <_< . If they don't have them anymore, I think I'll try the Epiphone Les Paul Tribute™ Plus, it's got coil tapping, the same tuners etc. I wasn't really planning on using the tremolo anyway. [biggrin]

Hello kristof, welcome aboard. I was curious what piqued your interest in the Pro/FX if you were not planning on using the trem anyway. I'm another that would endorse the Tribute Plus or even the Trad Pro as a better choice. Both of these models have beautiful tones right out of the box. It's just a preference thing you understand, and in the end YOU are the most qualified person to decide which guitar is right for you. [smile]

Hello kristof, welcome aboard. I was curious what piqued your interest in the Pro/FX if you were not planning on using the trem anyway. I'm another that would endorse the Tribute Plus or even the Trad Pro as a better choice. Both of these models have beautiful tones right out of the box. It's just a preference thing you understand, and in the end YOU are the most qualified person to decide which guitar is right for you. [smile]

I'm almost convinced that the LP 1960's Tribute Plus is the best guitar for me, and it's still somewhat affordable. A store near me sells it for 680 USD, with a hard case included.

Here are some links of stuff I would like to learn:

As you see, I'm not much of a metal/shredding kind of guy [biggrin]

Do you guys think it's suitable for these kinds of things?

If you don't plan on using the Tremolo, why buy a Floyd guitar? The Floyd is just an annoyance. It prevents you from using different tunings, destroys the LP's beautiful sustain (which you will want for Blues), and it requires a lot of maintenance in comparison to a fixed bridge.

I wanted a Tribute Plus for a long time, I just couldn't afford it. Definitely recommended, Floyds and LPs don't go well together.

If you don't plan on using the Tremolo, why buy a Floyd guitar? The Floyd is just an annoyance. It prevents you from using different tunings, destroys the LP's beautiful sustain (which you will want for Blues), and it requires a lot of maintenance in comparison to a fixed bridge.

I wanted a Tribute Plus for a long time, I just couldn't afford it. Definitely recommended, Floyds and LPs don't go well together.

I'll probably go with the Tribute Plus, it looks great, got everything I possibly want in a guitar (that I know of, I'm still far from calling myself a real guitar player) and it seems to have better pickups than the others. Right now I've started learning bar chords, and the dreaded F chord as well.

So hopefully by this summer, I'll be able to play some great songs so I can justify buying an expensive electric guitar. [biggrin] I want to make sure I got the basics down on the classical guitar first.(I play it just like an acoustic, so no fingerpicking [tongue] )

I've also found a shop near where I live, that sells the Tribute Plus for €530 | 680USD | £440, and from what I've heard they do a complete set-up at the shop without extra charge, and it comes with a hard-case. So the only thing left for me to do now is choose a simple (but good) amp [biggrin]

I'm almost convinced that the LP 1960's Tribute Plus is the best guitar for me, and it's still somewhat affordable. A store near me sells it for 680 USD, with a hard case included.

Here are some links of stuff I would like to learn:

As you see, I'm not much of a metal/shredding kind of guy [biggrin]

Do you guys think it's suitable for these kinds of things?

It would be a good guitar for the first three, but the last two would sound better on a Fender Tele. That's IMO of course. [smile]

It would be a good guitar for the first three, but the last two would sound better on a Fender Tele. That's IMO of course. [smile]

Maybe the Ultra III could be a good choice as well, the Nanomag is quite capable of those country sounds when overdriven... And I think it retails to about the same price as the Tribute...

The first three would sound terrible on a tele anyway [wink]

Maybe the Ultra III could be a good choice as well, the Nanomag is quite capable of those country sounds when overdriven... And I think it retails to about the same price as the Tribute...

The first three would sound terrible on a tele anyway [wink]

For versatility of sound the Ultra is hard to beat.

The Custom Shop and Limited Edition monikers usually don't mean a lot in the Epi world, if it sells well, they'll normally keep making them.

The 'Limited' stamp on an Epi means it's limited to only a few hundred thousand made.

Per year.

[rolleyes]

The 'Limited' stamp on an Epi means it's limited to only a few hundred thousand made.

Per year.

[rolleyes]

Haha, that's a good one. [laugh]

And I'm basically just looking for a versatile guitar, I really can't buy a different guitar for every style I like. I always thought I didn't like country, until I came across that guy ^ [biggrin]

PS: the Ultra III sells for €50 less than the Tribute here, but it doesn't have Gibson pickups, I think that's the only (but a big) difference.

The Ultra III comes with Epi's new "Probuckers", which are a copy of Gibson's original "Burstbuckers". IMO they're at least one notch above all other epi stock pickups I've heard. I currently prefer their sound to much more expensive Seymour Duncans that I have on my other guitar, and they're very versatile. They're not "tried and true", but I bet people around here who have a guitar that came fitted with them will tell you that they are great pups. I probably won't ever replace them. I don't know how they compare to Gibsons, but you could play them and find out.

If you ask me, the big difference is the Nanomag, really... (Ultra III)

And the asymmetric neck profile, which I really want... (Tribute)

As for a hard case, I bought one for 30 euros :-# (Thomann)

Your choice. Each guitar has its pros and cons, that's always the case. My recommendation is, if a store has them, try them both.

I agree that you should always play anything first before you buy. Sometimes this isn't possible and you have to take a chance. One more note about the Tribute Plus. It's set up for series/parallel switching with push/pull tone pots.This would be very easy to modify to coil splitting which can give you a Fenderish sound with the single coil mode. That's something else to think about when considering versatility.

I agree that you should always play anything first before you buy. Sometimes this isn't possible and you have to take a chance. One more note about the Tribute Plus. It's set up for series/parallel switching with push/pull tone pots.This would be very easy to modify to coil splitting which can give you a Fenderish sound with the single coil mode. That's something else to think about when considering versatility.

I just had a look at the new catalog, and the Pro/FX is still in there. I'm not going to buy anything online, because I just don't trust it <_< When I go to the store I'm going to try the Tribute Plus, the PlusTop Pro/FX and the Ultra III and see which one I like best. But as of right now, I think I prefer the Tribute Plus.

Only you can decide what you want and yo really won't know until you have played all that you are considering. But I will add:

I plugged my Ultra III's probuckers through a Digitech(mostly phase shifter, delay) into my Marshal MG50DFX and ran the NanoMag seperately into a Carvin Tube amp with a little chorus thrown in. Played a little Zeppelin riff. Result - Guitar nirvana!

Also playing all 3 Pups in mono with overdrive produces a real fat sound. Playing clean is very bright.

Pro Buckers, bridge, neck or both in clean or overdrive modes produces some nice sounds too.

While the acoustic qualities of the NanoMag alone seem a little short of expectations, I hink an acoustic pre-amp would cure that.

people say: "Hurry up and get one, because it seems to be a limited edition!". Is this really a limited edition guitar, and if it is: how long will they still be made? Because I'm saving up right now to buy it in the summer and I'm already kind of hooked on this guitar [rolleyes]

Best news is that after it's been out a while, you can usually pick up a nice used one for a great price, which is what I like to do when there's a limited edition I want. I just got a P-90 SG Special for $230 (they sell new for $399). Be patient and look for deals.

With the money you save on a used LP, put it towards upgrading the PU's, which will do more to improve the tone than everything else put together. PAF's are magic in LP's, and Duncan makes some of the best (Seth, '59, PG, & A2P).

While the acoustic qualities of the NanoMag alone seem a little short of expectations, I hink an acoustic pre-amp would cure that.

They have a pre-amp already built in, the NanoMag sounds much more convincing using caged chords, barre chords and such will stifle the sound.

Les Pauls and trems are just wrong, IMO

+1. I have to agree with this, although it's purely a matter of taste. To me, LP's are all about tasty blues string bends and vibrato. Tune-o-matics and stop bars. I must admit I've seen some Pro/FX's with beautiful tops though.

They have a pre-amp already built in, the NanoMag sounds much more convincing using caged chords, barre chords and such will stifle the sound.

The adjustments are pretty limited. Bass, treble and gain. All with little travel.

Well I don't know what happened to the U-IIIs, the U-IIs had plenty of adjustment in the pre-amp.

Looks to be about the same on both models. There is however a disqualifier to any evaluation I make........................I suck! LOL

Archived