Gibson Brands Forums

Changing strings....

iwalktheline

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I see players (Tommy Emmanuel, for example) grab the headstock and bend the neck as a tonal effect, I'm reminded of just how strong guitars are, and how a neck will go right back to where it was. Some people might gasp in horror at such a thing, thinking it might break the guitar. But it won't.

I think I might pass on trying to bend the neck using the headstock on a guitar with a 17 degree headstock angle. I've seen too many Gibsons with busted neck/headstock transitions. I know, I know, it's from the shockload from falling over. But still.....

I change strings one at a time, not out of fear of damaging a guitar, but because I find it easier: I can tune the new string to an adjacent string. Once or twice a year, I remove them all and clean the fretboard with some fretboard oil (StewMac)and 0000 steel wool.

As for changing strings immediately before a performance, Tommy Emmanuel does this. He also changes strings between sets. He just stretches them really well.

once or twice a year !!!

you miserable sod :-p

All at once kinda guy here. NEVER had ANY set-up problems after a change. You can do it any way you like, cat skinning at it's finest, but if you tell me it causes problems or damage by removing all the strings at once then you are wrong. I've changed strings, I would guess, 500-600 times on my guitars alone. Nary one problem. PROVEN Conclusion: it's ok to do!

Changing gauges changes the whole set-up, neck tension, nut slots etc. It's a separate issue. I know lots of folks who change one at a time and lots who change 'em all at once. There IS no "right" way, just your way!

• 1 month later...

I just got my Winter 2012 issue of Taylor's "Wood and Steel" and there is a reply to this question of "one string at a time" versus "all at once" from Bob Taylor. I know this is a Gibson forum, but Bob's advice is seldom, if ever, wrong and is helpful to all guitar owners and players.

Here is part of Bob's answer to the question:

"A guitar neck actually isn’t that complex. It’s a piece of wood that holds strings. There’s a truss rod in most necks that is tightened to counteract string tension, and because of that, with no strings on the neck, the neck will bow backwards a bit until you restring it. That’s pretty much the extent of it. The whole neck is springy, and it settles in like springs on your car. If you lift your car at the garage and relieve the weight on the springs, they settle right back where they started when you put the car down. We like removing all the strings because it gives us a chance to clean the fretboard, peghead, and all the areas of the guitar that lie under the strings. Put the strings back on, tune them to pitch, and you’ll be good to go."

I must say I agree with him.

I just got my Winter 2012 issue of Taylor's "Wood and Steel" and there is a reply to this question of "one string at a time" versus "all at once" from Bob Taylor. I know this is a Gibson forum, but Bob's advice is seldom, if ever, wrong and is helpful to all guitar owners and players.

Sorry Bob. It's not just the neck - the string tension affects anything connected to the strings, including the saddle, bridge and top. To focus concern on the neck is an over simplification of what's going on.

Hey, maybe that's the whole basis of Taylor's sound: a springy neck and a rock solid top that doesn't move. . B)

Sorry Bob. It's not just the neck - the string tension affects anything connected to the strings, including the saddle, bridge and top. To focus concern on the neck is an over simplification of what's going on.

Hey, maybe that's the whole basis of Taylor's sound: a springy neck and a rock solid top that doesn't move. . B)

I have a "guitar setup" instructional DVD from Gibson's "Learn and Master" guitar series. The tech making the video is Greg Voros of Gruhn's. He's pretty well known in the industry as a master tech. Although he ironically uses a Martin flat top in the flat top setup section (he uses a Gibson arch top for that section), he takes off all...the...strings...at...once.

Lighten up BK! [biggrin] Bob Taylor DOES know how a guitar works. This is just a simple one paragraph response to a letter to his newsletter column.

I like the sound of a lot of Taylor guitars. They have one thing Gibsons don't; consistent quality. Saying that, I've never played a Taylor that sounded better than any of the best Gibsons I've played.

Archived