Gibson Brands Forums

Alnico Humbucker Pole Adjustment Screws

lemonhead

Unscrewing teh pole piece won't raise it back up? If so, you'll need to lift the PU (loosen the strings and unscrew the 4 corner screws on the PU ring). Then you can push the screw up from the bottom.

Plain strings are louder than wound strings, and thick strings are louder than thin ones, which means that the D string has the least volume, and the G string has the most. Adjust you pole piece heights accordingly.

Hey Blueman, thanks for the reply. Yeah, unscrewing it won't raise it back up. I actually saw a bit of wax (I think it was wax at least) come up around the pole piece. It seemed like it was stripped or something. Next time I take the strings off, I'll try pushing it back up from the bottom. This is good news, I was afraid the bottom might be closed off. I kind of had the feeling that I should have just left it alone.

Went into Guitar Center this morning to resolve a separate issue regarding the fretboard on my SG. While I was there I had a guy look at the pole that seemed stripped and he unscrewed it right up. I don't know why I couldn't do the same, but it is back up even with the rest now. I doubt I'll mess with any of them again, instead I'll just use the two main screws on the outsides.

Archived