Gibson Brands Forums

Sore Fingers?

BluesKing777

My manicurist always complains about the strange calluses with the grooves in them on the fingers of my left hand. She also doesn't understand why the fingernails on my left hand are complety filed down, and why I have these creepy long nails on all the fingers on my right hand except my pinky. [biggrin]

With the wonderful little digit protectors, I'll never have to worry again.

What I want to know is what these things are made of that wouldn't wear through in about five seconds? What happens if they.....fail...while you're using them? Will you have to stop playing while you change a fingertip, like breaking a string? "We'll have to take a break here while the gutiarist changes a finger condom". Or will finger condom failure lead to unwanted blisters? [unsure]

I wear the grooves in my fingertips as badges of honor.

Alas, for some strange reason, this post reminded me of a song. A distant memory, that was written and performed by the late and great(RIP) Hoyt Axton. Entitled "Boney Fingers". A song that stuck with me through my musical journey..

Please give it a listen. You may end up humming it later...

RRod

At least you could protect your guitar from all those unsightly fingerprints that you have to wipe off constantly.

I think they would probably hide fingerprints if someone was to nick one of your beautiful guitars! (The Black Fox in particularat this stage!)

Kidding!

BluesKing777.

Alas, for some strange reason, this post reminded me of a song. A distant memory, that was written and performed by the late and great(RIP) Hoyt Axton. Entitled "Boney Fingers". A song that stuck with me through my musical journey..

Please give it a listen. You may end up humming it later...

RRod

Yep!

Already stuck...

'Work those fingers to the bone and what do you get - Bony Fingers!'

More pleasant than Wily's suggestion, anyway. I hope Wily is not a doctor - he would be a touch scary...

BluesKing777.

Yep!

Already stuck...

'Work those fingers to the bone and what do you get - Bony Fingers!'

More pleasant than Wily's suggestion, anyway. I hope Wily is not a doctor - he would be a touch scary...

BluesKing777.

[thumbup][scared]

Yeah, I'd cut the new guys some slack.

Remember when we all started to play and had this problem ? [unsure]

Boy was I glad when I didn't have to worry about that issue anymore.

Even nowadays, with mediums, you can get pretty sore after playing for 4 to 5 hours [unsure]

But those gadgets ? Those things reminded me of those new running shoes they have that fit your individual toes.

Insanity I tell you !

I sure wouldn't want my girlfriend catching me wearing those things !! [lol]

Harmonics101

The individual toe shoes may actually have merit ( I have heard arguments from both sides). As for the gloves it seems backwards to me. I was proud when I first got my callouses. I was proud when I cut my fingers from playing; what's more I still enjoy the different texture on my left hand (and to a lesser extent my right). Maybe I am crazy but I love the idea that I have been physically changed as a result of doing something I care about. Even if it is as small as a difference in my finger tips it means something to me that my practice resulted in something tangible. I could just be grasping at straws though.

Finger condoms. Who'd a thunk it?

Actually, they're called finger cots. They're used in offices to help one page through stacks of papers instead of the 'Lick-turn" method #-o I CAN NOT STAND people who lick-turn, expecially when they had me a paper they have just licked!

The 4 fingered gloves is a new variation.

Archived