Gibson Brands Forums

Sheryl Crow Tuners

Harmonics101

Okay guys, I've been a happy Gibson owner for quite some time and look forward to posting here on the Gibson forum.

I am really enjoying my Sheryl Crow and come from the school that if it aint broke, don't fix it.

That's my general attitude to replacing corian with bone for nut and or saddle and any other sort of unnecessary tweaking.

Hopefully, there are others out there with that opinion as well, but differing opinions aint bad and can generate lots of good discussion.

Anyway, let me cut to the chase and just ask what others have done with the original tuners on the Sheryl Crow model.

I mean, they aren't broke, but they are pretty stiff and quickly tune up or down whether you are loosening or tightening.

Are you patiently putting up with this situation or have you swapped out your tuners for something else ?

Are there any drop in options available ?

I am guessing these are Gotoh tuners ?

Its great to finally join this forum and try to contribute some of my experiences with some excellent guitars Gibson has to offer !

Cheers,

Harmonics101

Okay guys, I've been a happy Gibson owner for quite some time and look forward to posting here on the Gibson forum.

I am really enjoying my Sheryl Crow and come from the school that if it aint broke, don't fix it.

That's my general attitude to replacing corian with bone for nut and or saddle and any other sort of unnecessary tweaking.

Hopefully, there are others out there with that opinion as well, but differing opinions aint bad and can generate lots of good discussion.

Anyway, let me cut to the chase and just ask what others have done with the original tuners on the Sheryl Crow model.

I mean, they aren't broke, but they are pretty stiff and quickly tune up or down whether you are loosening or tightening.

Are you patiently putting up with this situation or have you swapped out your tuners for something else ?

Its great to finally join this forum and try to contribute some of my experiences with some excellent guitars Gibson has to offer !

Cheers,

Harmonics101

How about a picture, so we can see what you've got?

Cheers,

Harmonics101

Mine is a 2001 model, I think, and I've just left them be.

sc3.jpg

They seem to work fine, so no worries!

Fred

Hey J45Nick, they are stock so they are like that photo below of that J1854Me kindly provided.

I actually like the white ovals so I'd like to keep it original looking.

Hey J1854Me, do you feel the stickiness and a bit of extra elbow grease you need to turn the tuners ?

How long have you had your Sheryl ?

I've had mine for 2 1/2 years now and absolutely no problems whatsoever, so I am sort of leaning towards your stance.

Thanks for your responses guys !

Harmonics101

(added : oooops, i see you said you've had your Sheryl since 2001. Lots of years of good playing i bet [thumbup]

J45Nick, I'll have to experiment with posting pics on this forum. I'm a newbie so cut me some slack for the time being B)

How splendid with a Sheryl Crow owner – terrific guitar. (Didn't know J-1854Me had one too - love that tanned hue).

Give the tuners a blop of grease and keep them on. They belong there.

And welcome inside these halls – look forward to hear from you.

Hey J45Nick, they are stock so they are like that photo below of that J1854Me kindly provided.

I actually like the white ovals so I'd like to keep it original looking.

Hey J1854Me, do you feel the stickiness and a bit of extra elbow grease you need to turn the tuners ?

How long have you had your Sheryl ?

I've had mine for 2 1/2 years now and absolutely no problems whatsoever, so I am sort of leaning towards your stance.

Thanks for your responses guys !

Harmonics101

(added : oooops, i see you said you've had your Sheryl since 2001. Lots of years of good playing i bet [thumbup]

J45Nick, I'll have to experiment with posting pics on this forum. I'm a newbie so cut me some slack for the time being B)

Tuners backside:

IMGP1415.jpg

and front:

IMGP4901.jpg

On the earlier SC models, they went pretty heavy on the 'aging toner'. Later on in the run, they lightened up on the Sheryl-tan lotion, and so now they are a little lighter looking.

With a lighter background in this pic, you can see the sort of 'pumpkin-hue' top colouration:

IMGP4902.jpg

Fred

Oh sorry, Harmonics101, I forgot your question on the tuners' action. They are all smooth as can be, no problems whatsoever.

I don't know if those klusonoid-type tuners are Gotohs or what they are.

Are you sure you don't have some burrs in the nut slots that are sticking, perhaps?

Fred

Hey Eminor-7, thank you for that warm welcome.

Its been wayyyy overdue that i joined this forum [unsure]

Yeah, i'm always reluctant to put ANYTHING on my guitar.

Heck, I stopped polishing my guitar when i found out about the silicon scare :lol:

I did however, buy some of that expensive lube from the bicycle shop that i might sparingly apply.

I have NEVER applied any sort of lube to any of my tuners on my guitars but maybe this one needs a just a smidge.

Harmonics101

Hey J1854Me, next time i get the strings off, I'll take a brush to the nut and clean things out.

I've got number 987 so not sure what year it is. The first digit in the serial is a zero so maybe its a 2000 model ?

I think it was hangin' on the wall for quite some time when i bought it.

Its got the darker hue and plays WONDERFULLY sweet.

Currently keeping my Hummingbird G.A.S. at bay cuz otherwise, i'd be in the market for a Hummingbird fer sure if i didn't have my Sheryl in hand [thumbup]

Harmonics101

hi harmonics ,

if you're looking help with a gibson you won't regret joing this lot , i'm only here a month or two and i've learnt i heap

i am a dont fix it kinda guy too .no interest in bone saddles n brass pins and such voodoo

but.....

my j45 has exactly the same tuners as the pics and i have ordered new ones / partly because i had to pick a christmas present , partly because i love the look of open back tuners. there's nothing wrong with the tuners but maybe i would never have thought of changing if something in my head said these arent the best tuners in the world .

i chose grover statites , ordered off stewmac and not expensive . not here yet but i'll let u know how they are working out when i fit them if you're interested

Hey BlindBoy, you are absolutely correct this forum will no doubt teach me LOTS of things. Heck, sooner than i posted, a Sheryl Crow video popped up which was awesome and lots of helpful advice with regards to my tuner kvetches.

Even if my new tuners for the Sheryl would be drop in ready, I'd still bring it into the guitar tech to sort out. That's how inept i am as it relates to tech stuff.

Heck, I went to my car dealership to change the wipers on my car even [lol] Now i know better to ask to swap 'em out at the next oil change.

I'm strictly looking for period correct so oval close back tuners would need to be the replacements on my Sheryl.

She looks awesome just the way she is !! B)

Harmonics101

Hey J1854Me, next time i get the strings off, I'll take a brush to the nut and clean things out.

I've got number 987 so not sure what year it is. The first digit in the serial is a zero so maybe its a 2000 model ?

I think it was hangin' on the wall for quite some time when i bought it.

Its got the darker hue and plays WONDERFULLY sweet.

Currently keeping my Hummingbird G.A.S. at bay cuz otherwise, i'd be in the market for a Hummingbird fer sure if i didn't have my Sheryl in hand [thumbup]

Harmonics101

H101 -- mine is #355/400", and it is a 2001 model, so you can see they chamged their mind about limiting the edition to only 400 pieces. It's probably not as popular as Martin's Eric Clapton model, which I think is over 10,000 now (?), but it is a good model for Gibson.

Your serial number 0xxx_xxx should tell you the year, based on the first and fifth digits.

Fred

Thanks J1854-Me, that fifth position has a 5 so i guess mine is a 2005 model.

Harmonics101

Added : Though i thought i read somewhere that the fifth digit is the month ? So mine would be 2000 May ?

In any case, its an awesome guitar with the slight inconvenience of the tuners.

All six of them OneWileyFool [biggrin]

Harmonics101

Hey Harmonics, good to see you at the Gibby forum, joining the mass migration away from the AGF (although that would be mainly Taylor boys). Im GibbyPrague up there.

Anyway, you are either going to love or hate what I did with my Country Western. I have, or had ... a 69' model.

Then two things happened, I bought an Aaron Lewis SJ and decided I prefer the Hummingibrid tone to the Counry Western. Found the CW to be a bit too sparkly, lacking warmth.

So, this is what I did, I took of the original butter bean tuners from the CW and placed them on the AL SJ, as I absoulutely hated the white as white new tuners compared to the 'vintage' look of the finish such as binding, inlays etc ... these original tuners fit in much better.

Then on the CW I bought Tulip, HB style tuners and also a thicker pickgutar, and basically gave the CW a sex change and made her into a Hummingbird. And, the tone also changes as I for a long time had a theory that the HB sounded warmer and more mellow from the CW mainly because of hte thick guard, and I believe Ive been proved correct. Prefer much more the tone now after the thicker guard has beein installed, anywayh, heres a few before and afters.

IMG_4024.jpg

IMG_3650.jpg

IMG_3662.jpg

Hey EuroAussie, glad to meeting you on the Gibson side.

Interesting that coincidence with regards to Taylor starting a new guitar forum. I basically got tired of scrolling to page 6 to read posts that interested me.

Here on the Gibson forum, things move a bit slower and that is my liking.

What can i say, I'm just not as fast as i used to be :o)

Like you modifications EuroAussie, sounds like you are pretty skilled at doing some swaps there.

Those whites look pretty good on that AJ and I imagine the Sheryl would look just fine with tulip tuners as well.

I really like the tulip tuners that Gibson has on their J100, i think that's the only model i have with the tulips.

Tulips would probably be my 2nd choice but i really like to keep the appearance period correct, which would be the round oval.

I know i've seen Waverly product line and they have the white ovals, but i am sure they are not drop in.

I'll probably endure the originals for as long as they aint broke, cuz they are doing just fine.

Its just i'm doing lots of down tuning before tuning up to proper pitch.

Maybe some 3 in 1 bicycle graphite oil will correct that situation.

All this talk about tuners is reminding me of some of those pics the other members have posted of Sheryl [woot]

Harmnonics101

Archived