Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar tech scratched my guitar what do I do?

Hey sorry for misspelling your name.

I didn't misspell your name on purpose and I didn't mean for the accidental misspell to seem disrespectful to you so I apologize for that.

If your post was in anyway referring to Kurt Cobain you clearly don't respect the dead or respect an American icon of music from my generation.

Real grunge is dead? wtf?

Is rock dead when Elvis Presley died? Is pop dead when Micheal Jackson died?.....

My point is, that what they did when they were alive still exist and will always live on.

Just because it is your style or it isn't popular now does't mean that it is dead and not alive to other people.

When the Lynyard Skynard band were around (R.I.P), they were called "Southern rock" along with other bands like the Allman Brothers (R.I.P Duane).

My music is underground and not out to many people. I personally don't want it to be for personal reasons.

I write my own songs and have been writing since I was 13. I have played the guitar since I was 6 and I'm self thought.

My style of song writing is about my own life's experiences and influences that I have gotten all my life.

My music is influenced by grunge from when I was a kid and that is the style of music I play myself.

Grunge is basically based from alternative rock and it got the label in like the late 80's and early 90's.

Southern rock got its label and southern Metal is a label Pantera is a southern metal band.

I'm from Mississippi and I label my music as southern grunge.

Another thing, you don't have to be from the south to play southern music genres it just has to originate there.

It is really about styles. Music is like a religion to me, I live by it.

Many people think that people from the south are stupid and that is simply not true at all.

[lol]

Forget it, dont ban him hes good for shits and giggles.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey sorry for misspelling your name.

I didn't misspell your name on purpose and I didn't mean for the accidental misspell to seem disrespectful to you so I apologize for that.

If your post was in anyway referring to Kurt Cobain you clearly don't respect the dead or respect an American icon of music from my generation.

Real grunge is dead? wtf?

Is rock dead when Elvis Presley died? Is pop dead when Micheal Jackson died?.....

My point is, that what they did when they were alive still exist and will always live on.

Just because it is your style or it isn't popular now does't mean that it is dead and not alive to other people.

When the Lynyard Skynard band were around (R.I.P), they were called "Southern rock" along with other bands like the Allman Brothers (R.I.P Duane).

My music is underground and not out to many people. I personally don't want it to be for personal reasons.

I write my own songs and have been writing since I was 13. I have played the guitar since I was 6 and I'm self thought.

My style of song writing is about my own life's experiences and influences that I have gotten all my life.

My music is influenced by grunge from when I was a kid and that is the style of music I play myself.

Grunge is basically based from alternative rock and it got the label in like the late 80's and early 90's.

Southern rock got its label and southern Metal is a label Pantera is a southern metal band.

I'm from Mississippi and I label my music as southern grunge.

Another thing, you don't have to be from the south to play southern music genres it just has to originate there.

It is really about styles. Music is like a religion to me, I live by it.

Many people think that people from the south are stupid and that is simply not true at all.

Note, I'm a fan of Nirvana. Grunge is dead for a reason. Yes, it was good music, but it was like the 60s. It was a revolution within a generation. You don't see people making psychedelic music anymore, do you? And if you do, it's most likely a poor emulation of what once was great. I've been writing my own songs, and I'd share them as soon as I had the studio equipment to do so. You should share them, otherwise you'll have no proof and just be the same guy, lying on the internet. Most of what you say seems to be in the thought process of "I bet they'd think this is cool..." but we don't. Just be your god damned self.

You might want to get to know some of us better before you start adding a bunch of BS on your post. Everyone here has a good sense of humor and once we get to know you and understand your sense of humor then we will know when you are kidding or being sarcastic.

So back to your original post... Agreed that the "tech" regardless of relationship should be more careful. Agree it was good he admitted it. Agree it is good that they are fixing it. From what I see it is an easy fix and you might end up with a nice buff job for that guitar which it is badly in need of.

By the way not all rubbing compounds are appropriate for the scratch you are trying to remove. Especially on a guitar with black finish as you can just create a bunch of swirl marks with it. From the looks of your guitar I would say that the whole thing needs to be wet sanded with some 1500 grit and completely re-buffed.

Best of luck,

Andy

You might want to get to know some of us better before you start adding a bunch of BS on your post. Everyone here has a good sense of humor and once we get to know you and understand your sense of humor then we will know when you are kidding or being sarcastic.

So back to your original post... Agreed that the "tech" regardless of relationship should be more careful. Agree it was good he admitted it. Agree it is good that they are fixing it. From what I see it is an easy fix and you might end up with a nice buff job for that guitar which it is badly in need of.

By the way not all rubbing compounds are appropriate for the scratch you are trying to remove. Especially on a guitar with black finish as you can just create a bunch of swirl marks with it. From the looks of your guitar I would say that the whole thing needs to be wet sanded with some 1500 grit and completely re-buffed.

Best of luck,

Andy

(8>z}... Please be more careful with your language, Andy. Those are NOT scratches or swirl marks but the signature of passionate and skillful playing which has caused the instrument to become marred by its reentry into Eath's atmosphere subsequent to its meteoric journey to the apex of the sun and back, in the magic, lotioned hands of Cap'n Jake himself....

[WOOF PUPPY! ... Roll 'em / smoke 'em! WOOF! WOOF!]

J/w

I'm new here and have enjoyed many aspects of the forum so far but threads like this just aren't fun, informative or even entertaining. I hope my future posts will at least have something worthwhile to contribute.

Cheers!

Thats not even a Gibson, I thought you said it was a Studio? Also how can you see the scratches due to the scratches already there?

Tbh, it looked like a Blacktop Jag. I was going to get one in a similar color. Those aren't worth too much time when it comes to minor repairs.

Hopefully your young and you'll grow out of that guitars are just things when they start meaning that much too you it's something to worry about.

I am 24 and have owned several guitars. 6 Gibsons (2 les paul standards, 1 69 reissue sg, 1 1984 explorer, one sg special and 1 les paul studio), 3 Fender strat's (two american, one Japanese(the best by far)) 1 Gretsch Malcolm Young, one epiphone sg, one Yamaha acoustic, A jackson Randy Rhoads and my first, a squire strat.

I did a lot of buying and selling at first to find some keepers. Due to circumstances, I've been forced to scale my collection back to one guitar from my two les pauls and my acoustic. The only guitar I currently own is the les paul I've had since I was 17. It was a gift from my mother, it was my first real guitar. I have used it at every gig I have ever played (nigh on 400). I have used it on every recording. A few came close, but this one is the only one that was just perfect in every way for me. I will never sell it no matter the circumstances. Perhaps that explains my attachment to it?

Sometimes I'll catch myself drooling over others and I'll probably pick up a few more over the years (including a japanese made Tokai I've been eyeing up), but to quote the late, great Phil Lynott, "I'll come running back to you again."

Why is this thread of excrement still alive?

Partly, Jeff, because folks like you - and idiots like me - keep on adding answers! If nobody bumped the thread it would sink to the bottom ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Aw.........Shoot.

DANG! Just did it again!

LOL!

P.

I can't seem to believe that some take me so seriously.... Btw, My real name is NOT Jake Ludwig, it is Angus Young and I play a Gibson Sg in a band called AC/DC. [flapper]

I know I don't get out that often, but, who's Angus Young and WHY would I care about him? Is AC/DC even a real band? [confused] Kind of like all these "new" young movie stars that I ask my wife about. The ones I wouldn't pay 10 cent to go see in a show or even watch on free Netflix streaming. Oh yeah, and the big questions like "who the He-- is Rachael Ray and why would I want her stupid orange cookware. Well, at least it's Harley Davidson Orange I guess. [biggrin]

Aster

I am 24 and have owned several guitars. 6 Gibsons (2 les paul standards, 1 69 reissue sg, 1 1984 explorer, one sg special and 1 les paul studio), 3 Fender strat's (two american, one Japanese(the best by far)) 1 Gretsch Malcolm Young, one epiphone sg, one Yamaha acoustic, A jackson Randy Rhoads and my first, a squire strat.

I did a lot of buying and selling at first to find some keepers. Due to circumstances, I've been forced to scale my collection back to one guitar from my two les pauls and my acoustic. The only guitar I currently own is the les paul I've had since I was 17. It was a gift from my mother, it was my first real guitar. I have used it at every gig I have ever played (nigh on 400). I have used it on every recording. A few came close, but this one is the only one that was just perfect in every way for me. I will never sell it no matter the circumstances. Perhaps that explains my attachment to it?

Sometimes I'll catch myself drooling over others and I'll probably pick up a few more over the years (including a japanese made Tokai I've been eyeing up), but to quote the late, great Phil Lynott, "I'll come running back to you again."

Yep I see where your coming from now, And I totally understand your comments now but 24 is young and someday you'll understand what I meant. It's great to love a guitar and it's even great to say you'll never sell it, no matter what the circumstances are. And hopefully your life will be truly blessed enough to make that possible. But age and experience teaches you lessons about life and after enough of them you'll understand that a guitar is still just a piece of wood and some strings and that they are all replaceable. When I was just a year or so older than you I sold two guitars that meant the world to me that I said I would never sell no matter what. But I sold those two guitars without a second thought because I had a sick child with a severe lung infection that needed medical care that we just could not afford at that time, so my two precious guitars were sold for quite a bit less than they were worth because I needed money fast. The funny thing is out of all the hundreds of guitars Ive bought and sold over the years and out of the large number of high end guitars that I own today. Probably those two guitars are the only two that I never regretted selling, not even for a minute all because a healthy and happy baby that could breathe again made me realize that no guitar means that much to me.

bummer. personally, i just care about sound. i've inflicted enough damage on my guitar's finish. i doubt i'd even notice a scratch. if it bothers you so much, you should have a talk with the guy about how to rectify the situation....

Yep I see where your coming from now, And I totally understand your comments now but 24 is young and someday you'll understand what I meant. It's great to love a guitar and it's even great to say you'll never sell it, no matter what the circumstances are. And hopefully your life will be truly blessed enough to make that possible. But age and experience teaches you lessons about life and after enough of them you'll understand that a guitar is still just a piece of wood and some strings and that they are all replaceable. When I was just a year or so older than you I sold two guitars that meant the world to me that I said I would never sell no matter what. But I sold those two guitars without a second thought because I had a sick child with a severe lung infection that needed medical care that we just could not afford at that time, so my two precious guitars were sold for quite a bit less than they were worth because I needed money fast. The funny thing is out of all the hundreds of guitars Ive bought and sold over the years and out of the large number of high end guitars that I own today. Probably those two guitars are the only two that I never regretted selling, not even for a minute all because a healthy and happy baby that could breathe again made me realize that no guitar means that much to me.

Having experienced homelessness, I can safely say I will never sell that guitar. I didn't sell it that time, so I can't imagine anything ever coming up that would force me to sell it. We can go round and round in circles here, but I'll never sell it.

Archived