Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar tech scratched my guitar what do I do?

Guest farnsbarns

No offence, but I read your post. If your homeless and you have a guitar where do you keep the guitar?

It has to stay out of the weather and rain and stuff and not be damaged. Just saying...

Sounds like you doubt him. Acorns, oak trees and glass houses all come to mind.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep I see where your coming from now, And I totally understand your comments now but 24 is young and someday you'll understand what I meant. It's great to love a guitar and it's even great to say you'll never sell it, no matter what the circumstances are. And hopefully your life will be truly blessed enough to make that possible. But age and experience teaches you lessons about life and after enough of them you'll understand that a guitar is still just a piece of wood and some strings and that they are all replaceable. When I was just a year or so older than you I sold two guitars that meant the world to me that I said I would never sell no matter what. But I sold those two guitars without a second thought because I had a sick child with a severe lung infection that needed medical care that we just could not afford at that time, so my two precious guitars were sold for quite a bit less than they were worth because I needed money fast. The funny thing is out of all the hundreds of guitars Ive bought and sold over the years and out of the large number of high end guitars that I own today. Probably those two guitars are the only two that I never regretted selling, not even for a minute all because a healthy and happy baby that could breathe again made me realize that no guitar means that much to me.

Age gives you an understanding of societal mechanics, not life. Nirvana doesn't discriminate. Some of the narrowest minds in the world belong to people of old age.

Really you would not part with one, all things considered its a log with strings and you would not give that up for eternal happiness. Most guitar collections do not increase in value, except in sentimental value.

Personally I would do anything I needed to do help any of my family members.

Hey Guitarest look at it like this I wouldn't part with my Alembic Series II, Status Kingbass, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Fender Mark Knopfler Strat and Gretsch 6120 but when I wake up in the morning the dream's over... try as he might you just can't part with a collection of imaginary guitars. [scared]

No offence, but I read your post. If your homeless and you have a guitar where do you keep the guitar?

It has to stay out of the weather and rain and stuff and not be damaged. Just saying...

One of my friend's kept it for me. I was homeless for around six weeks. I didn't really believe my mum was going to kick me out of her house. She gave me a few months notice. I didn't believe her at the time until one night she told me I was leaving the next day. I could have sold the les paul and got myself a place to live. I didn't. I slept in some parks and occasionally couch surfed a little. After six weeks or so, I got some money that was owed to me and moved into my own place.

I still have the guitar and my health and I have no regrets.

Jake, I'm legally considered homeless. My mom lost her house due to a corrupt landlord and now we live with my grandma, pretty much off the grid too, considering the schools don't know my real address. I can tell you that if we had no where to stay, I'd sell off my halfstack, head, PA system, and keep at least one of my precious guitars and my mini Marshall. It's a tough thought, but I have thought about it before. I'm sure you'd do the same if you were in a similar situation, because no guitar or amp is going to shelter you, unless you're damn small and can fit into a halfstack.

Really you would not part with one, all things considered its a log with strings and you would not give that up for eternal happiness. Most guitar collections do not increase in value, except in sentimental value.

Personally I would do anything I needed to do help any of my family members.

As would I. But no one is holding a gun to my head at the moment; my guitar isn't going anywhere.

A guitar by nature, is not a "log with strings," it's a guitar.

If I had to make a decision between a family member and a guitar, the log with strings is out the door faster than I replied to this.

Totally, for all the enjoyment I derive from guitars and music, there always seems to be a better guitar around the corner*. Family, friends and people are patently irreplaceable.

*= until you dont have it, of course, like the traded in guitar, it soon becomes a mythical instrument of excellence, a melodic excalibur, the fish that got away, the sure fire sighted ufo, the unbought winning lottery ticket, etc

I think it's really cool some of these younger players feel so strongly about their guitars and how important they are to them. It's naive but still cool as hell, and it's also all about perspective and where your at in life. Some of the newer members here probably don't know some of us veterans on the forum so it get's confusing sometimes in a short post. If anybody felt I was being a jerk and don't know me very well I'm sorry I wasn't slamming anybody about how important they may feel there guitars are. Ive been lucky and worked hard in life so now I have a few extra guitars lying around, which honestly probably does lessen the value I feel towards any specific guitar somewhat. There are 20 or so I would really not want to part with in my collection, but there's only 3, That I would consider irreplaceable so that might change my perspective. But none of them are worth more than the people I truly love in my life. And if my house was on fire and i only had a few minutes to grab stuff none of my guitars would be at the top of that list.

I know were going slightly off-topic here, but;

Having experienced homelessness, I can safely say I will never sell that guitar. I didn't sell it that time, so I can't imagine anything ever coming up that would force me to sell it. We can go round and round in circles here, but I'll never sell it.

With all due respect, SlashPerryBurst, if you ever get around to marrying (or not) and having children your priorities will almost certainly change. Until that time comes it's perfectly understandable that you can assert "I can't imagine anything ever coming up that would force me to sell it."

Until father/motherhood actually happens it's impossible to understand how profoundly your life will change. Up to that point the most important person in your life is You. After that happens the most important people in your life will become Your Family. You might not think so just now but just you wait and see.......

Homelessness is undeniably unpleasant but if it came down to being able to stave off your family being homeless just by selling your guitar it will be the easiest decision in the world.

P.

Guys, this is THE Jake Ludwig we are talking about here..

Show some Respect.

this thread is incredible, thank you for the AMAZING read this morning...

"honey come to bed"

"i cant, some one is wrong on the internet!"

Love that sig

With all due respect, SlashPerryBurst, if you ever get around to marrying (or not) and having children your priorities will almost certainly change. Until that time comes it's perfectly understandable that you can assert "I can't imagine anything ever coming up that would force me to sell it."

Until father/motherhood actually happens it's impossible to understand how profoundly your life will change. Up to that point the most important person in your life is You. After that happens the most important people in your life will become Your Family. You might not think so just now but just you wait and see.......

Homelessness is undeniably unpleasant but if it came down to being able to stave off your family being homeless just by selling your guitar it will be the easiest decision in the world.

P.

As it happens, I am getting married in March. I am well aware of the commitments that lie ahead, but I have a sensible head on my shoulders. Obviously, if I had a child who was starving and the only way I could feed him or her was to sell the guitar then I'd part with it. But that's a pretty big "what if".

Allow me to re write what I had said before. I will never sell that guitar unless it is a complete and utter emergency. However, during my aforementioned homeless period, I did stoop as low as raiding supermarket bins at night. As luck would have it, I stand to inherit a large sum of money at some point, so I do have that in my favour.

P.

Excellent point pippy,

Being recently married, but pre child, i am busting my butt to get all the gear in place I need to play out reliably, because once the kids come along money becomes a big issue.

I remember being full of Pi$$ and Vinegar as a younger man swearing I would DIE before before some skirt took it all away.

I would dump a girl no matter how much she meant if she tried to take that away when I was younger.

Good thing my wife is a understanding soul, she realises just how important and part of my personality that music is and will never try to take that away.

now it is all about compromise.

Guest farnsbarns

A Gf or a Bf isn't a family member, although u can have children or marry.

I said what I mean. If dating someone meant losing a guitar I will discontinue the relationship.

Marriage can also take a risk in losing a guitar through a divorce.

As far as eternal happiness we're all finished at our birth.

A lot of people in this world live a happy life alone.

I simply can not find the right person for me.

I personally get lonely myself sometimes wishing I had someone to talk to.

I've tried dating site and the works, but I pretty much suck anyways so who cares.

I'm a loser for lack of words, but I'm going through the worst part of my life.

I find comfort in a way with my music, my instruments and being online.

There must be an ignore user option around here somewhere.

I think it's really cool some of these younger players feel so strongly about their guitars and how important they are to them. It's naive but still cool as hell, and it's also all about perspective and where your at in life. Some of the newer members here probably don't know some of us veterans on the forum so it get's confusing sometimes in a short post. If anybody felt I was being a jerk and don't know me very well I'm sorry I wasn't slamming anybody about how important they may feel there guitars are. Ive been lucky and worked hard in life so now I have a few extra guitars lying around, which honestly probably does lessen the value I feel towards any specific guitar somewhat. There are 20 or so I would really not want to part with in my collection, but there's only 3, That I would consider irreplaceable so that might change my perspective. But none of them are worth more than the people I truly love in my life. And if my house was on fire and i only had a few minutes to grab stuff none of my guitars would be at the top of that list.

Agreed...

I have seen so many guitars and amps come and go. I went from having about 30 guitars at one point to having nothing but a cheap acoustic for a few years. I finally got to the point in life where I felt too ashamed to ask my mother for help when I was short on rent etc... and one by one they went.

I have only in the past few years started building my collection again but would part with everyone of them if I had to.

Andy

A Gf or a Bf isn't a family member, although u can have children or marry.

I said what I mean. If dating someone meant losing a guitar I will discontinue the relationship.

Marriage can also take a risk in losing a guitar through a divorce.

As far as eternal happiness we're all finished at our birth.

A lot of people in this world live a happy life alone.

I simply can not find the right person for me.

I personally get lonely myself sometimes wishing I had someone to talk to.

I've tried dating site and the works, but I pretty much suck anyways so who cares.

I'm a loser for lack of words, but I'm going through the worst part of my life.

I find comfort in a way with my music, my instruments and being online.

1) If getting married and having children isn't your understanding of the concept of 'family' then what is?

2) When has it been necessary to lose a guitar simply because you are dating?

3) Get a pre-nuptial agreement; ring-fencing your guitar(s).

4) Utter Rubbish.

5) This bit is the only truism in your post.

6) "Keep trying" is my advice.

7) See #6.

8) Try to get some self-respect first. Then others might follow suit.

9) This stage will pass but the greater part of the effort must come from You.

10) That's fine up to a point but cannot take the place of interaction in the real world. If you need help then go get some and sooner rather than later.

P.

Archived