Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone think GIbson will ever use Brazilian RW again ?

JuanCarlosVejar

Hard to see how the species could become un-endangered in as little as 50 years, so I'd predict there won't be any more in that time frame.

If anyone has and old or recent BRW gibby please post a pic :D ! .

Here's the interesting side (for purposes of this discussion) my 2002 AJ.

aj-back-out.jpg

aj-back-close-out.jpg

I wonder if it matters. Does the use of Brazilian vs Indian rosewood make a discernable difference in the tone of a rosewood guitar? Certainly the Brazilian is usually much more figured and can be very beautiful visually, but does it make a tonal difference that anyone can actually hear? I suspect not. The clamor for Brazilian is much like the clamor for anything else that becomes rare: tell the people they can't have it anymore and the demand goes off the charts for no other reason than that: they can't have it anymore.

Can anyone here define tonaly what Brazilian brings to a guitar, opposed to the same guitar built with Indian?

I wonder if it matters. Does the use of Brazilian vs Indian rosewood make a discernable difference in the tone of a rosewood guitar? Certainly the Brazilian is usually much more figured and can be very beautiful visually, but does it make a tonal difference that anyone can actually hear? I suspect not. The clamor for Brazilian is much like the clamor for anything else that becomes rare: tell the people they can't have it anymore and the demand goes off the charts for no other reason than that: they can't have it anymore.

Can anyone here define tonaly what Brazilian brings to a guitar, opposed to the same guitar built with Indian?

thanks Buc :) . I really see thing differetly now !

Many believe they can tell the difference between Ivory bridge pins and plastic. So the answer is yes.

There are two Brazilian Gibsons at Music Vill. A '91 A.J amd a '94 Ray Whitley. You will be able to tell the differenc between Indian and Brazilian. Especially with your fine tuned ears. I'm sorry Buc I just had to do it. If you ever drop a piece of Brazilian on a cement floor it will startle you. It sounds like you are dropping glass.

The owner of Gibson is on the "Rainforest Alliance" board and he has publically stated that he will never use Brazilian again. He is a srtict conservationist and when he quit using it in 2003 it was forever.

The wood on the AJ at Music Villa isn't as pretty as RAR's guitar but it is a very nice guitar and it is very reasonably priced. It is probably gone now but it was there a couple of days ago. I can't imagine a very low priced Brazilian AJ lasting more than a couple of days. The seller is motivated.

By the way. The "Ray Whitley" absolutly crushes a J-200 in every way and this guitar is at a firesale price. It's one of the very few 17 inch Jumbo guitars made of Brazilian and IF it's still there when I get back to Bozeman I will try to buy it. I may have to turn around tomorrow and go back.

I certainly wouldn't want to weigh in on tonal differences, since I don't have a clue. I suspect Brazilian was used because of its sometimes remarkable grain patterns, which can be really dramatic in a bookmatched back.

About 40 years ago, I had a lovely little 1860's or 70's (no serial numbers back then) Martin "New Yorker", with incredibly convoluted grain in the Brazilian rosewood back and sides. When I had it put back together, the luthier must have done at least 30 small splices to repair open cracks in the wild grain. He did a beautiful job, but it was painstaking, expensive work. It made me appreciate the straight-grain Honduras mahogany of my J-45 even more.

Martin at the time had refused to touch the guitar, saying it was "beyond practical repair". I had hand-delivered it to Nazareth for evaluation. That was when I came to appreciate the original Martin two-piece bird's-beak neck/headstock joint, which the luthier simply glued back together. Does anyone here know when Martin stopped using that, and just went to a one-piece neck that simply visually replicates the old two-piece construction?

thanks Buc :) . I really see thing differetly now !

The report from Brazilian is immediate and the note seperation is amazing. Each note when played becomes an individual. They tend to go on forever and when a big chord is played you can go to the kitchen get a beer and when you come back the guitar will still be playing. Brazilian guitars are unforgiving as every note is distinct and any mistakes can't be slurred over. There is no softness and no warmth. Brazilian is all about power and clarity. If you want to crush a banjo get a Brazilian AJ.

Brazilian rosewood does impart a tone different from EIR. But, I think that it's a subtle difference. I've got three guitars with Brazikian rosewood backs and sides. Here are two of them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mqs_zfndJGo&sns=em

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQlQ96AqvbU&sns=em

Historically, the most treasured Brazilian rosewood has been the perfectly quartered, straight grained stuff. So, it did not become the favored tone wood of Martin and others because of its appearance.

Many believe they can tell the difference between Ivory bridge pins and plastic.

I'm sorry Buc I just had to do it.

Really? <_<

Seems to me the promotion of Brazilian rosewood, a natural material from an endangered species, in guitar construction is akin to the promotion of elephant ivory for saddles, nuts and pins.....yes? Sorry, Hogeye, I just had to do it. Don't start none and there won't be none.

The report from Brazilian is immediate and the note seperation is amazing. Each note when played becomes an individual. They tend to go on forever and when a big chord is played you can go to the kitchen get a beer and when you come back the guitar will still be playing. Brazilian guitars are unforgiving as every note is distinct and any mistakes can't be slurred over. There is no softness and no warmth. Brazilian is all about power and clarity. If you want to crush a banjo get a Brazilian AJ.

So True...

Hard to see how the species could become un-endangered in as little as 50 years, so I'd predict there won't be any more in that time frame.

Here's the interesting side (for purposes of this discussion) my 2002 AJ.

aj-back-out.jpg

aj-back-close-out.jpg

Wow...that is one gorgeous back! Love that bookmatch.

thanks I've never played a BRW so I am really learning what to expect from alot of the folks here :D

I have a pair of photos of a J2000 Brazilian..Quilted Spruce top.. the photos are not very clear... This was a Sweet Guitar...

DSCF0366.jpg

I do have a couple more some where of the AJ I had done as well as a couple SJ200s..

As Far as I see it... Brazilain is a thing of the past for Gibson and other Manufactures.. I would only guess the only way youll see any others done will be by independant Custom Guitar makers ... if that...

I have a pair of photos of a J2000 Brazilian..Quilted Spruce top.. the photos are not very clear... This was a Sweet Guitar...

DSCF0366.jpg

I do have a couple more some where of the AJ I had done as well as a couple SJ200s..

As Far as I see it... Brazilain is a thing of the past for Gibson and other Manufactures.. I would only guess the only way youll see any others done will be by independant Custom Guitar makers ... if that...

Certainly a beautiful guitar. If it played and sounded so good, why would you part with it, especially knowing BRW would become more and more scarce?

57Classic.. Brazilian maybe in terms is scarce. and just cannot be Used... when this J2000 and a couple others were done.. The Custom Shop was still going... Now Not..... looking back .. it would of been nice to still have these... but they Got traded off for Vintage pieces. its the way it goes..

Really? <_<

Seems to me the promotion of Brazilian rosewood, a natural material from an endangered species, in guitar construction is akin to the promotion of elephant ivory for saddles, nuts and pins.....yes? Sorry, Hogeye, I just had to do it. Don't start none and there won't be none.

I can understand that logic Buc. It does seem to be akin on the surface. I don't promote the Brazilian and neither does Gibson. There was a question and I tried to answer it. Brazilian was not banned when Gibson was using it. It's still legal to build a guitar with Brazilian just don't try to take it across an international border without a CITIES release.

It's all a little confusing and I know that the tree was a living breathing thing but is it really the same a slaughtering an elephant and sawing his tusks off and leaving the rest to rot? No winners here only the poachers. As the worlds resources dwindle many grandkids will only be able to see a picture of an elephant or a Brazilian Rosewood tree. It's a pity for all the future generations. You win and I will shut up and play my guitar.

Does anyone know what species of RW Gibson are using now?

From previous posts I'm under the impression some of the last guitars using the Indian RW where made a few months back? is this correct?

The Hummingbird I acquired sometime ago was 2007 model and I think would have been indian for fingerboard?

My new Bird built Nov' this year has a lot 'tighter' grain on the finger board ( I like it more: I know rosewood can be all 'over the place' thanks to this forum :))

Interested to know where gibson now source the RW

thanks

Does anyone know what species of RW Gibson are using now?

From previous posts I'm under the impression some of the last guitars using the Indian RW where made a few months back? is this correct?

The Hummingbird I acquired sometime ago was 2007 model and I think would have been indian for fingerboard?

My new Bird built Nov' this year has a lot 'tighter' grain on the finger board ( I like it more: I know rosewood can be all 'over the place' thanks to this forum :))

Interested to know where gibson now source the RW

thanks

Can't say what your 2007 model was but my same year hummer is Madagascan rosewood fretboard and bridge - kind of a touchy ongoing legal thing. :unsure: Chances are that it was the same for your last one. Don't know what they're using now.

Archived