Gibson Brands Forums

Cutaway or Non

brannon67

Do you guys prefer cutaway model guitars or non cutaway models when it comes to your Gibson acoustics(or acoustics in general)? If so, why? If not, why? I usually prefer non cutaways, but I have at least one cutaway in the fold now.

I understand. I went for a while without a cutaway, then one day I was finding myself needing the extra frets, so I looked around for a cutaway, and found the Songwriter Special. But when it comes down to it, I do prefer a non cutaway , A slope shoulder body mostly.

I definitely prefer non-cutaway, to me that is the quintessential Gibson (and Martin) look.

Having said that I specifically bought the SWD with gigging in mind where I could have both a great pickup and also play up the neck. I think having one cut away guitar is good, to give you that option up the neck, but generally speaking non cutaway is the go I reckon.

For me, non-cutaway all the ding-dang live-long doo-dah-day.

I've never been able to get my head around an acoustic guitar with a cutaway. I used to own a very nice Takamine ENV360SC Nashville Series mini-jumbo. It was expensive, was dripping in bling and sounded bright-yet-pricey, akin to a massive crystal chandelier being thrown off a cliff.

I just kept looking at the poor thing in the manner that a regular dog looks at a three-legged dog..."What's missing here...? Looks like a dog, but isn't quite the full quota...".

I'd rock a Songwriter Deluxe Cutaway as I reckon they're a killer workhorse guitar, but I'd rather play my AJ.

Definitely none cutaway for me - I have no use for access to frets that high anyway...

+1

Cutaway is plain ugly .

I usually don't go much beyond the 12th fret; sometimes up to the 14 or 15th.

There's nothing prettier than a full body, good looking guitar [thumbup]

I like both but enjoy playing with a cutaway more. The fret access is key for me. Whereas I don't play out, I wish I could get one without a pickup. Gibson levees a significant up charge to order a guitar they don't cut a hole in and don't provide or install said pickup in. They don't want to have to follow custom orders around the production line. I get it but it's too bad from the consumer side.

I'am a tradition type guy so I like the full bodied guitar, but I have played several cut aways it,s easer to play notes at the 12th fret and higher that way, but it all in the mind set of the player my dot 335 is a double cutaway so their you have it. Use the right Guitar for the Job !!!

If I only have 1 acoustic, it is a cutaway, all the way. Reasoning....."why not". Some say you lose a little of the highs with a cutaway, but when I had mine built, I got advise to have the upper bout cutaway part thickness increased. This way it would give greater reflection for the highs. So I agreed to this mod. Now I don't have calipers or even would know if Gibson really did this, but there is no lacking in the highs with my cutaway and I Love it.

Archived