Gibson Brands Forums

Americana music/guitar

brannon67

I know it is blindingly obvious to some here, but the newer and younger forum members may not have watched the movie that did a great deal to bring back roots music: 'O Brother Where Art Thou'.

Just thought I would mention it.....

And I intend to get a DVD of the movie when I can.

BluesKing777.

Here's a couple of clips - I got to get this movie again! Didn't find Gw, but there somewhere.

BluesKing777.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From my viewpoint, the term Americana is a pejorative term, not being too complimentary.

I'd associate Americana with things of ridicule, such as disco or rap. Any genre that might generate some negative opinions.

Now, if you meant to use the term tradition, then i would associate positive things associated with American culture, such as bluegrass, delta blues, drive ins etc.

So to answer your question directly, Americana music to me would include any pop contemporary bands that don't have an original or traditional theme (some Americana music would include most artists that are appearing on network TV, REM would be another Americana icon in my opinion, Kid Rock would again be another prime example of Americana music).

Americana NOT GOOD !!!

Tradition GOOD !! :)

Harmonics101

Americana NOT GOOD !!!

Tradition GOOD !! :)

Harmonics101

I think you're missing the point here. There's nothing negative about the term "Americana". American roots music is a huge part of Americana, however you define it. "Americana" is the collection of things--art, culture, music--that could come from nowhere else. No matter where the musical tradition originated--the Scots/Irish/English ballads that were the genesis of the Appalachian music that begat country music and beyond, or African rhythms and musical structures that begat the blues, jazz and beyond--all these traditions were melded and seasoned through hundreds of years in the great American melting pot to form that unique thing we call "Americana". The earlier references to "O Brother, Where Art Thou" were spot-on. That's a simple introduction to real Americana.

J45Nick, thank you for your response.

I tend to use hyperbole in lots of my posts, making blanket statement or in my way of expressing my opinion, i make generalized statements that may not all be actually correct.

I was just trying to get my point across that to me, Americana is not associated with all good things.

But I agree AMERICAN TRADITION would imply all the good things that come from American culture, which i believe the original poster meant.

I was just inserting some tongue in cheek personal opinions i had with that particular term :)

Play on ladies and gents,

Harmonics101

I respect your opinion, but to me disco, and rap are not what I think about when I think about Americana. I think about mayby POP Culture or something like that, something that is popular in a certain decade or something along those lines when it comes to disco or rap. Although rap has taken hold in recent years, sad to say.

A little bit of pre Uncle Tupelo, Whiskey Town, Green on Red etc 'Americana' and well after origins of American rural music if you like...

Any gibsonites here knows of the history of the dove in the vid? A bit like a bad tattoo removal[confused]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOfkpu6749w&feature=player_detailpage

Heres another vid with a few more shots of the dove in question

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myo9wXrNUP4&feature=player_detailpage

The Band are most often associated with that epithet, but Robbie Robertson's favourite acoustics are supposed to be Martins (lots of concert photos from the late '60s of him holding a big D, ....

True about that -- too bad The Band is mostly Canadian, all 'cept Levon.

So maybe that would be Canadimericana.....? [crying]

Fred

Lots of bands in that vein. Won't try to give names, but isn't it the ones who kinda sums up Indians, cowboys, forts, mountains, pines, gold-diggers, eagles, rivers, jumping salmon, canoes, coffee on fire, crooks, Crockett headgear, Winchesters, saloons, card-games, smoking guns, canon-powder, blue and gray uniforms, stovepipe hats, Lincolns beard, ragtime pianos, suddenly black Ford T's, smoking factories and a little Charleston. . .

TherecordingBand-2.jpgI asked about The Bands acoustics half a years ago. Mojorule mentions Mart. D's – Thanks.

Above what seems to be a Guild.

When I was younger the term Americana seemed to stand for a kind of music different from most of whats mentioned above.

It seemed to me to represent particular sound... hard to classify... but heavily categorized by a particular, electric guitar, sound. Two examples I can think of would be.

https://www.youtube....h?v=UAOxCqSxRD0

As mentioned it seems all relative to the individual.

I think it's more of a marketing term.

2cent

["Americana" is the collection of things--art, culture, music--that could come from nowhere else. No matter where the musical tradition originated--the Scots/Irish/English ballads that were the genesis of the Appalachian music that begat country music and beyond, or African rhythms and musical structures that begat the blues, jazz and beyond/quote]

and don't forget the Spanish influence. Always makes for a sweet tune in the mix

[Not easily described, but certainly attached to American Roots.... Lot's of folks around here correlate the term with 'The Austin Sound' as the prefered local alternative to today's commercial 'Nashville Sound'/quote]

Yes indeed. Someone once gave me a line about Austin - "..the beer is weak and the women are strong"

I See the Cactus Cafe still kicking with Butch coming up..

Lots of bands in that vein. Won't try to give names, but isn't it the ones who kinda sums up Indians, cowboys, forts, mountains, pines, gold-diggers, eagles, rivers, jumping salmon, canoes, coffee on fire, crooks, Crockett headgear, Winchesters, saloons, card-games, smoking guns, canon-powder, blue and gray uniforms, stovepipe hats, Lincolns beard, ragtime pianos, suddenly black Ford T's, smoking factories and a little Charleston. . .

TherecordingBand-2.jpgI asked about The Bands acoustics half a years ago. Mojorule mentions Mart. D's – Thanks.

Em7....Your descriptive layering works for me and is much of what I think "Americana" is.... [thumbup] green light to ya!

Another marketing niche for radio, I think. Maybe half-exAmericana, unless its more Blues inclusive than I'm aware of. Oth, that marker led me to Chatham County and Yonder Nt String Bands, so its not all bad

RE the 4 cornerstones. Giants all, but all learned off records. As you intimated, they stood on the shoulders of other giants: Carter Family, Woody Guthrie, Charley Patton. Nothing personal Wily, not a snipe but to urge listeners to dig deepr. Consider Robt Johnson: he recorded late, was a synthesis of styles, and was a minor figure in his time. While its not common to think of Gary Davis in the same breath as Johnson (he was still live and kicking in the 60s) but he was playing songs that came out before poor Robt was born.

Americana for me, the 4 corner stones, would be:

Blues: Robert Johnson

Folk: Bob Dylan

Rock: Elvis Presley

Not necessarily the earliest,

I think this has been a pretty cool thread about what everyone preceives Americana music to be. I guess it just a perspective of who you are, where you live,and what kind of music you listened to either growing up or now.

[Not easily described, but certainly attached to American Roots.... Lot's of folks around here correlate the term with 'The Austin Sound' as the prefered local alternative to today's commercial 'Nashville Sound'/quote]

Yes indeed. Someone once gave me a line about Austin - "..the beer is weak and the women are strong"

I See the Cactus Cafe still kicking with Butch coming up..

The 'Austin Scene' gained a reputation with Austin City Limits leading to the moniker: 'Live Music Capital of the World'. The Tex Americana movement grew in popularity and gained steam when Nashville went Commercial.

Lots of Tex Americana singer/songwriters owe their 'start' to the Cactus Cafe. Per their website:

Lyle Lovett, Robert Earl Keen, Lucinda Williams, Shawn Colvin, Nanci Griffith and Ani DiFranco are among the singer-songwriters who frequently graced the Cactus stage early in their careers. Over the last twenty-five years many well-known artists performed at the Cactus Cafe, many to return time and time again. Cactus stage. Among them: Alison Krauss, Jimmie Dale Gilmore, Butch Hancock, Townes Van Zandt, Loudon Wainwright III, Bill Monroe, Richard Thompson, Guy Clark, the Dixie Chicks, John Hiatt, Iris Dement, Ralph Stanley, Suzanne Vega, Gillian Welch, Patty Griffin and the list goes on...

The latest push is coming down from the Dallas/Fort Worth area with Troubadour Texas http://troubadourtx.com/ now being recognized as an avenue to break into the 'Austin Connection'. One nice thing about living here is that the area is filled with promising talent musicians playing in just about every conceivable location. Playing Gruene Hall means you've made it: GrahamCidJimKerryVisitApril2011015.jpg

Somewhat routine for Willie Nelson or Jerry Jeff Walker etc. to walk in on a Saturday evening, grab a cold brew and pick a tune during someone's break.

Yes, looks like a nice Guild, and good to see one in their mix.

Here is Robbie Robertson at Woodstock in 1969:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Vou51-755I

True about that -- too bad The Band is mostly Canadian, all 'cept Levon.

So maybe that would be Canadimericana.....? [crying]

Fred

I'm so British, Fred! To me Canada is all American too, if not All-American... [wink]

The 'Austin Scene' gained a reputation with Austin City Limits leading to the moniker: 'Live Music Capital of the World'. The Tex Americana movement grew in popularity and gained steam when Nashville went Commercial.

Lots of Tex Americana singer/songwriters owe their 'start' to the Cactus Cafe. Per their website:

Lyle Lovett, Robert Earl Keen, Lucinda Williams, Shawn Colvin, Nanci Griffith and Ani DiFranco are among the singer-songwriters who frequently graced the Cactus stage early in their careers. Over the last twenty-five years many well-known artists performed at the Cactus Cafe, many to return time and time again. Cactus stage. Among them: Alison Krauss, Jimmie Dale Gilmore, Butch Hancock, Townes Van Zandt, Loudon Wainwright III, Bill Monroe, Richard Thompson, Guy Clark, the Dixie Chicks, John Hiatt, Iris Dement, Ralph Stanley, Suzanne Vega, Gillian Welch, Patty Griffin and the list goes on...

The latest push is coming down from the Dallas/Fort Worth area with Troubadour Texas http://troubadourtx.com/ now being recognized as an avenue to break into the 'Austin Connection'. One nice thing about living here is that the area is filled with promising talent musicians playing in just about every conceivable location. Playing Gruene Hall means you've made it: GrahamCidJimKerryVisitApril2011015.jpg

Somewhat routine for Willie Nelson or Jerry Jeff Walker etc. to walk in on a Saturday evening, grab a cold brew and pick a tune during someone's break.

I've always had an affinity with Austin just from reading CD sleeve notes and seeing shows. A special place of music I've enjoyed and appreciated over the years . Your 'Troubadour' would be a bit like the equivalent of http://www.whelanslive.com/ here I'd guess. There is also a festival over here which is 'Americana' themed - http://www.kilkennyroots.com/ where some acts have shed stage sweat in Austin (one example would be Alejandro Escovedo and his string quartet amongst others). There's also this one too http://www.johnnykee...om/concerts.htm I can only guess such like music travels well when it's from the heart. Keep blowin' and pickin'!

I've always had an affinity with Austin just from reading CD sleeve notes and seeing shows. A special place of music I've enjoyed and appreciated over the years . Your 'Troubadour' would be a bit like the equivalent of http://www.whelanslive.com/ here I'd guess. There is also a festival over here which is 'Americana' themed - http://www.johnnykeenan.com/concerts.htm where some acts have shed stage sweat in Austin (one example would be Alejandro Escovedo and his string quartet amongst others). There's also this one too http://www.johnnykee...om/concerts.htm I can only guess such like music travels well when it's from the heart. Keep blowin' and pickin'!

Back at ya RoughDiamond... Really enjoyed your links; love to visit Ireland one day. My wife's ancestors are originally from Glasgow, Scotland and we often dream of vacationing throughout that lovely part of the world...

Back at ya RoughDiamond... Really enjoyed your links; love to visit Ireland one day. My wife's ancestors are originally from Glasgow, Scotland and we often dream of vacationing throughout that lovely part of the world...

at your good self[smile] sorry just amended one of the links, this 'insert link' thing does my head in![cursing] So your mrs relo's could be Johnny Cash's kin[tongue]

Archived