Gibson Brands Forums

Woody Guthrie SJ

Joe M

My woody model is actually away back to the retailer, bit of a creaking top issue at the minute.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaC07RCesyE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Love this guitar, my most played guitar since I've owned it. Hoping to have it back creak free soon ;)

You've got me worried now. Can't have your Woody all creaky. Hope Thomann get it sorted soon and with minimal alteration. Any idea as to the cause? Loose bracing or something? According to Bob Taylor, everybody should want their guitar to boing - it's the desirable property of adirondack, but you can induce it in sitka if you only brace with adi. Perhaps he's been experimenting with your guitar, trying to turn it into a new Taylor slope-shoulder model.

Since this thread has been resurrected, thought I'd chime in....the Woody that I talked about back in January was still in the shop so the owner cut me a grat deal and I bought it last week. I was worried that it would sound too much like my J45 but, the contrary, it compliments it. Plus, the neck is noticeably smaller than on the 45, something that I hadn't felt when I first played it. In fact, the neck's profile reminds me a lot of a Taylor neck, not a bad thing for me. Plus, the sticker was still there (I thought for sure someone would take it)...... [biggrin]

You've got me worried now. Can't have your Woody all creaky. Hope Thomann get it sorted soon and with minimal alteration. Any idea as to the cause? Loose bracing or something? According to Bob Taylor, everybody should want their guitar to boing - it's the desirable property of adirondack, but you can induce it in sitka if you only brace with adi. Perhaps he's been experimenting with your guitar, trying to turn it into a new Taylor slope-shoulder model.

No idea, hopefully not a brace, it doesn't get bashed about so I know of no reason it should be a brace, it shouldn't be too moist or too dry either... when strumming or gigging it's not a problem but any picking/damping stuff and it shows up acoustically, makes the guitar unrecordable at the minute. To be fair to Mr T, there was no quibbles, we're 8 months down the road, I sent them the video, they sent UPS to my door to collect it so they can assess it. Fingers crossed it's nothing serious.

No idea, hopefully not a brace, it doesn't get bashed about so I know of no reason it should be a brace, it shouldn't be too moist or too dry either... when strumming or gigging it's not a problem but any picking/damping stuff and it shows up acoustically, makes the guitar unrecordable at the minute. To be fair to Mr T, there was no quibbles, we're 8 months down the road, I sent them the video, they sent UPS to my door to collect it so they can assess it. Fingers crossed it's nothing serious.

Hope it works out ok for you. I'm out of town right now, but you better believe as soon as I get home, I'm gonna check mine out for creaks. Be sure to let us know what was found.

Archived