Gibson Brands Forums

ES 339 - COA?

BigGreggo

I recently bought a used ES 339 from Guitar Center. It's an '08 with the OHSC and not a mark on it. It looks and sounds great and I got a good deal but... it did not come with the original COA from the factory. I called Gibson to inquire about a replacement but they stated that since I was not the original purchaser, they would not replace the COA. This makes no sense to me, since I purchased it used from an authorized Gibson dealer and have a receipt with serial number to prove I purchased the guitar.

Can anyone explain Gibson's policy to me? The guy I spoke with honestly didn't seem to interested in my plight. Also, what if any impact would a missing COA have on resale value down the road? I don't plan on selling it since I've bonded with it pretty heavily over the last few weeks, but there's always the dreaded "financial crises"...

A replacement COA is only issued to the original purchaser with proof of purchase from an authorized dealer and the guitar must be returned to Gibson to verify it is authentic. Gibson actually spends big bucks replacing COA's each year. The policy was started to try to get the dealers and customers to value the COA and keep track of it.

A replacement COA is only issued to the original purchaser with proof of purchase from an authorized dealer and the guitar must be returned to Gibson to verify it is authentic. Gibson actually spends big bucks replacing COA's each year. The policy was started to try to get the dealers and customers to value the COA and keep track of it.

correct

I guess I should clarify my question. I know what the policy is, I just don't understand why the policy exists. IMHO, if I purchase a used Gibson Custom guitar from an authorized Gibson dealer (in this case, Guitar Center) and I am willing to ship the guitar to Gibson along with proof of purchase of said guitar, it makes no sense to me that Gibson would not then authenticate the guitar and replace the COA. The Gibson rep I spoke to was not able to explain why Gibson wouldn't replace the COA, only that they wouldn't because I am not the original purchaser and that is their policy.

The policy makes sense to me if I could not provide proof of purchase of the guitar from an authorized dealer, but since I can, it just seems silly that Gibson will not replace the COA. Hell, I would even be willing to pay a small fee for the COA, as well as pay for the shipping of the guitar to and from Gibson.

It doesn't matter if you bought a used Gibson from "authorized dealer" or not. It's still used - previously owned. The fact is you are not the "original purchaser" of the guitar and have no warranty standing with Gibson. Gibson kindly allows everyone access to their Customer Service people to answer questions. However I can certainly understand them not wanting to shoulder the cost of replacing lost COA documents to every owner requesting one - limiting replacements to the original purchasers. OTOH I wonder if charging second-hand owners for a replacement COA would be a feasible solution.

It doesn't matter if you bought a used Gibson from "authorized dealer" or not. It's still used - previously owned. The fact is you are not the "original purchaser" of the guitar and have no warranty standing with Gibson. Gibson kindly allows everyone access to their Customer Service people to answer questions. However I can certainly understand them not wanting to shoulder the cost of replacing lost COA documents to every owner requesting one - limiting replacements to the original purchasers. OTOH I wonder if charging second-hand owners for a replacement COA would be a feasible solution.

Charging for COAs would do nothing but flood the market with COAs and thereby de-value their significance.

Charging for COAs would do nothing but flood the market with COAs and thereby de-value their significance.

How so? Is Gibson afraid that if there are multiple COA's for the same serial numbert, that someone may create a counterfeit guitar and put the COA with it to dupe some unsuspecting buyer? If that's the case, that cat is already out of the bag. COA's can be counterfeited, just like Gibson guitars can be counterfeited.

I understand Gibson wanting to authenticate the guitar before replacing the COA. I understand Gibson requiring proof of purchase of the guitar from and authrorized Gibson dealer. I even understand Gibson requiring the guitar's owner to pay for shipping to and from the factory for authentication. What I don't understand is the "original purchaser" requirement. I feel that if I can provide proof of purchase from an authirized dealer and am willing to float the shipping cost to/from the factory for authentication, it's rather silly that Gibson won't provide a replacement COA.

No need to beat the dead horse. I guess I've just grown tired of the whole "that's our policy, sir" from customer service (not just from Gibson, but from damned near everybody these days) with no real explanation or acknowledgement of the situation from the customer's POV. Oh well.

How so? Is Gibson afraid that if there are multiple COA's for the same serial numbert, that someone may create a counterfeit guitar and put the COA with it to dupe some unsuspecting buyer? If that's the case, that cat is already out of the bag. COA's can be counterfeited, just like Gibson guitars can be counterfeited.

I understand Gibson wanting to authenticate the guitar before replacing the COA. I understand Gibson requiring proof of purchase of the guitar from and authrorized Gibson dealer. I even understand Gibson requiring the guitar's owner to pay for shipping to and from the factory for authentication. What I don't understand is the "original purchaser" requirement. I feel that if I can provide proof of purchase from an authirized dealer and am willing to float the shipping cost to/from the factory for authentication, it's rather silly that Gibson won't provide a replacement COA.

No need to beat the dead horse. I guess I've just grown tired of the whole "that's our policy, sir" from customer service (not just from Gibson, but from damned near everybody these days) with no real explanation or acknowledgement of the situation from the customer's POV. Oh well.

Welcome to Gibson. :)

I love Gibson guitars, but the company doesn't much care for consumers and they're not afraid to show it. They're often rude and disrespectful on the phone as well. I've had my dealings with them. Honestly, they could learn a few lessons from companies like PRS. The problem with Gibson is that they really don't care if you've bought one of their products. They don't view the consumer as the very essence that keeps them in business. It's flat out crazy to me, but it seems to be true. However, I don't want to sit here and bash them too much. They do make the greatest guitars on Earth. They just need to improve their business model with it comes to customer support. I wish you luck on working with them.

It is the original owner's responsibility to take care of the certificate.

It's kind of like buying a car without having the guy sign over the title. If the COA is important to you, then make sure the guy who sells the guitar gives you the certificate.

I know everybody wants a COA, but whaddya gonna do? You can't change Gibson's policies by complaining on the bulletin board.

The Gibson guys told you why they don't replace the certificates. Then you said you understood that, but that you were just asking why they don't replace the certificates. :rolleyes:

The other thing is, it's not a big deal to buy a used Gibson without a COA. It really has no added value. Its' just glorified case candy.

I can see the customer's POV. I can see Gibson's POV. Don't think your complaints aren't being heard. They are. That doesn't mean we can make an exception for you, or anyone else. And it doesn't mean that the Gibson policy will change tonight, or ever. But I do think that just because that doesn't happen, consumers think they aren't being heard. That is incorrect.

Archived