Gibson Brands Forums

Incoming 1934 L12

TM

I'm expecting Terry to jump back in here soon with news that his L-12 has arrived.....so we can get back on topic!

Hope its a good one.

Not off topic. I like to hear about what people play. In the clip above that is me on Harmonica, I can play that, I couldn't play the guitar part and I can't sing. Guitar was a second instrument after Harmonica, but still be at it for a long time, just not a natural.

When I play out I have no problem playing the Harmonica, I can also do a decent job on the Dobro (lap style). When folks are around I will do some back up on country/bluegrass stuff on guitar or try to take a lead. At home I do play fingerstyle, blues, rags. I sort of do my own tune since I can't seem to duplicate other songs.

A friend came over a couple of years ago playing western swing chords on his guitar and I loved it. I got a couple of DVD and learned those 3 finger chords. With no one else around I will put on the Harmonica rack and accompany myself which sounds OK. The jazzer stuff is limited on the 10 hole harmonica, but it can do a melody line.

I really enjoy the chord playing.

BREAKING NEWS!!!!!

the L12 did arrive today. Came in with electric strings and Les Paul action. Just spent a little time at lunch. Looks much better than the pictues, original red lined case. It is a keeper, more details and a "couch" shot.

Terry

Changed to medium strings, but left the Les Paul action just to check it out. I had a similar waverly tuner, looks correct from the front. OHSC with red line and dark red interior, worn on the edges, missing handle, but overall OK,

No breaks, cracks, repairs. Fingerboard is not potholed, fret wear under e and b, but does not hurt yet. Bridge is about a turn before it is competely down and the action is elecric like. Something still to adjust. Previous owner, Tony, left some residue from name stickers on top bottom treble side, hard to see may clean up. Nicks and scratches, but not too bad and don't bother me. Label intact and legible FON.

Soft V neck, the L10 neck is rounded and actually bigger, fatter. Lighter weight than the L10, but that feels all in the L10 ebony board and bigger neck. I like that shallow V neck.

Guitars sound very different. I doubt that any adjustments in bridge, strings, would make a difference. The L12 is a lighter, brighter sound. The L10 is deep, more dark probably louder. I never liked playing open string chords on an archtop, they just sounded thin and tinny. The L10 performs pretty well with open string cords and could pass for a flat top or get by, if that makes any sense. Glad they sound different. Interesting question is why?

The guitar cost $1799.99 with $30 three day shipping. At that money my archtop lust is satisfied for the time being.

I do like the fancy trim on the L12 and the great sunburst top, quite a contrast with the black L10

Pictures are delayed due to camera and light issues, coming soon.

Terry

Archived