Gibson Brands Forums

Is your SG bass too muddy?

Lungimsam

Glad to hear you like the Model 1. I ordered one today from MF for my SG. I love the sound of the stock TB humbucker, but because the TB's have an annoying 60 cycle hum in a couple of the rooms that I play, I have to use something different. I've replaced the pups in 2 of my Les Paul basses with Lace Alumitones, and I love 'em; hope I'm as happy with the DiMarzio in the SG. Most of the reviews I've seen look good, so we'll see. [unsure]

I had a '76 EB-3 for some years and after a while I decided to go with a Model 1. I don't know what the new pickup in the SG sounds like now, but back then I was trying to clean up a real mudbucker, and I must say it did that. Almost to a fault - it was certainly cleaner, but I thought of it as getting more like a P than a clear Gibson. That was the tradeoff for me - the EB-3 lost some of its character. After a while I decided to go back to the original and I stayed there. As much as I wanted the clean/clear I decided it wasn't the nature of the beast.

I imagine the new SG pickup has been modernized and already cleaned up to some extent. In that case the Model 1 should serve well, not so drastic a change. It's a different flavor though, that's for sure. One thing - in dropping it into the old EB the pole spacing wasn't quite right, close but not quite. The pickup location was off by just a hair and there was no moving it and no string adjustment. Hope yours is centered better.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a '76 EB-3 for some years and after a while I decided to go with a Model 1. I don't know what the new pickup in the SG sounds like now, but back then I was trying to clean up a real mudbucker, and I must say it did that. Almost to a fault - it was certainly cleaner, but I thought of it as getting more like a P than a clear Gibson. That was the tradeoff for me - the EB-3 lost some of its character. After a while I decided to go back to the original and I stayed there. As much as I wanted the clean/clear I decided it wasn't the nature of the beast.

I imagine the new SG pickup has been modernized and already cleaned up to some extent. In that case the Model 1 should serve well, not so drastic a change. It's a different flavor though, that's for sure. One thing - in dropping it into the old EB the pole spacing wasn't quite right, close but not quite. The pickup location was off by just a hair and there was no moving it and no string adjustment. Hope yours is centered better.

I'm hoping to get the Model 1 by Friday so I can use it Saturday; I'll let you know how it works out. The TB humbucker is a very good sounding pup - nice and deep, but defined; I don't expect the DiMarzio to sound just like the TB, but I hope it doesn't change the "character' of the bass too much. [scared]

• 2 weeks later...

I put the Model-1 in the '05 SG-RI last week, but it wasn't a drop-in replacement. I had to shave the sides of the cavity and the pickguard a bit to get it in there, so it was slightly more work than I'd imagined. The string spacing is perfect. I am a little disappointed in the sound of the Model-1, and I'd have to say It's not a good replacement for the new TB+ humbucker as a stand-alone pup. The DiMarzio is only an improvement in that it allows me to actually use the bass anywhere - the noise problem is solved. The Model-1 puts out tons of lows & low-mids, but is not very defined. With that said, I am happy with the sound of the Lace Alumitone and the Model-1 blended together. The Lace has a great tone all by itself, and adds the much needed clarity and punch to the DiMarzio's big bottom-end. All in all I'm happy with the results. It's a lot of fun to play, and I got quite a few compliments on the sound of the little bass Saturday night.

Bottom line: The Dimarzio works very well with the Alumitone, but is disappointing by itself. Too bad it's black. The TB+ is an excellent pickup - If you don't have a noise problem, leave it alone.

SG-full.jpg

Mods to date on this one: 1) replaced the Mini-humbucker with a full-size Lace Alumitone humbucker. 2) added Hipshot Super-Tone bridge. 3) added bone nut. 4) replaced the TB+ with the DiMarzio Model-1.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived