Gibson Brands Forums

stop bar height

scmglotr

Hello again,

I would like to expand on my original at #26 if ok please.

From the replies that followed my understanding is that there are two types of bridge and depending on the design the saddles may face opposite directions although they can be installed in either direction depending on a players personal preference. Thank you.

Second I notice that on my LP neither the bridge nor the tail make direct contact with the surface of the guitar.

It just does not look right to me. Both are elevated and make contact solely thru the posts at the bridge and screws at the tail. Is that really the design intent with this type of bridge and tailpiece? It just seems to me there would be a better sound if both were in contact. I must add that I have put them in contact to see if there is a sound affect.

I'm ok with technical answers. Thanks very much.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
...I think there's a problem with my wallet unlikely to be solved soon...

Just for having some fun in the meantime...

Hi Cap, my friend.

Sorry I missed your reply. The offer will stand anytime you fancy a trip.

Yes; who amongst us hasn't enjoyed the tinkle of the 'small strings' plucked with a plectrum when we were youngsters?

But, nevertheless, I still stand by my words in my earlier post (#33);

...I would accept that a very finely tuned scientific apparatus might detect some transference of vibration in the rear-most area but it's importance in the 'Real-World' is absolutely "Nil"...

For these purposes I consider the numan ear to be sufficiently 'finely-tuned'.

[smile]

P.

• 3 weeks later...

I have owned two Les Paul Traditionals, the newest being a 2014 that I bought a couple of weeks ago. With each guitar, I gave no mind to the two "E" strings touching the back of the bridge (Nashville), and I thought that the strings touching couldn't possibly have an effect. I then read this post a day or so ago and started rethinking that issue. I played plugged and unplugged and struggled to hear any loss of sustain or diminished tone. However, last night I raised the strings off the back of the bridge and to my great surprise the two "E" strings rang out like I had had never heard before. The sustain and tone were remarkably improved. It wasn't imagination. The improvement was quite evident. I think that I only had to crank the tailpiece up about 1 1/2 turns. I think I will now consider a top wrap as the tail-in-the-air look of the tailpiece looks like a freak of nature.

I have owned two Les Paul Traditionals, the newest being a 2014 that I bought a couple of weeks ago. With each guitar, I gave no mind to the two "E" strings touching the back of the bridge (Nashville), and I thought that the strings touching couldn't possibly have an effect. I then read this post a day or so ago and started rethinking that issue. I played plugged and unplugged and struggled to hear any loss of sustain or diminished tone. However, last night I raised the strings off the back of the bridge and to my great surprise the two "E" strings rang out like I had had never heard before. The sustain and tone were remarkably improved. It wasn't imagination. The improvement was quite evident. I think that I only had to crank the tailpiece up about 1 1/2 turns. I think I will now consider a top wrap as the tail-in-the-air look of the tailpiece looks like a freak of nature.

YES!!! I wholeheartily agree. The strings should not touch the edge of the bridge. A master luthier showed me that 'trick' 25 years ago. You must have a good ear! I too can tell the difference.

Actually, there are a few other minor things one can do to optimize the characteristics of a LP. I am in the process of doing some things. I plan to post everything I've learned and maybe it will be useful to others.

I also need to get pics of my Studio up here -- but not until I'm finished! I kinda like seeing the threads below the tailpiece. Top-wrapping is cool, but I love that nice shiny chrome unobstructed.

Just my preference, of course.

Does anybody know the factory specs on tailpiece height? Also what do you guys recommend on a les paul? Any suggestions are appreciated. Just trying out different set up options in search of that magical moment when the guitar feels "just right" in my hands and I become one with the guitar.

The factory spec for both ABR and Nashville bridges is to set the stop bar height so that the break angle over the saddles is equal to the break angle over the nut - about 15 degrees. The stopbar should be set higher on the low E side so that all the strings are parallel between the bridge and the stopbar when you look at them them from the playing position. The factory doesn't crank down the stopbar all the way.

Check to make sure that no strings touch the back of the bridge as they angle down to the stopbar.

That's the factory spec. Some people like to crank the stopbar down all the way down so it hits the top of the guitar but I think that's mostly weightlifters and hoodlums. Just kidding. [laugh]

Archived