Gibson Brands Forums

what stands do you guys use?

Del Nilppeznaf

At the moment i have my box sitting on a stand with hooked arms which the guitar sits in and just back rest, the A shaped type

... rubber foam covered with cotton socks.

Been trying to source a cheapish stand with flat arms and neck holder with lock.... but one suitable for nitro

I'm in Europe and can not seem to find suitable model...

do i have to stay with the socks [crying] any good ideas for covering the foam/rubber on most stands?

+1

at home i just use the little A frame one like you , but for gigs has to be a hercules to protect from stumbling drunks

The little A frame is very sturdy..i use it gigging... looks to be more sturdy than the Hercules models I've looked at on web.....?

Lots of photo's i see posted here, seem to use a certain type of stand... just wondering if they are made for nitro finishes. Obviously leaving a nitro finished guitar on a stand with rubber/foam padding for a any amount of time can cause problems.

Once left a Yamaha sg2000 on a stand for a week and it caused some bad clouding.. which seems to have cleared up, after a few weeks,once put it back in case.

Yeah, I learned my lesson a long time ago about leaving a guitar on a stand for any length of time, especially in the summer. I never just leave my guitars on a stand for a long time. Im either playing them, put them on the stand for a few minutes, or they are in their cases.

Regardless of what the manufacturer claims, I use cotton cloth to cover the contact points. I haven't seen to many complaints on the Acoustic subforum about stand damage from foam/rubber incompatibility with nitro, but they show up in the electric forums occasionally. Some are pretty bad - completely melted finish in the contact area.

I use Hercules stands, but I also don't leave guitars on them for an extended period of time. I'll often switch between guitars in an evening practice session, so one will on a stand while another is being played. It would be a rare thing for one of my guitars to be on a stand for more than an hour a day.

Yeah, i recently moved to the Hercules lock stand that holds your guitar, a bit pricier but worth it as it secures the guitar properly.

Important to note that if you use a stand where the back of the guitar rests against it be very careful, especially it it has a rubber coating, nitro finishes hate it as I found out ..

I use a Hercules stand and never had a problem with it.

100% Hercules.

My Herc neck-swinger stand has seen 800 gigs over five years and is solid as a rock...brilliant engineering and design for a good price. If it went AWOL I'd buy another in a heartbeat, real 'industy standard' stuff.

I once read on another forum(Rickenbacker, I think), that surgical tubing would be an ideal replacement for the rubber/foam backing. They're also silicone free. Same diameter mind you. Never tried it myself tho...

Teer

Konig Mayer collapsing triangular stands.

Not the heavies for your electrics but the light weight ones that can fit in your gig bag to go.

Not for persons with kids or dogs around the house but truly portable and easy to use.

Harmonics101

Archived