Gibson Brands Forums

Are you, or have you outgrown "Rock & Roll?"

charlie brown

Ever blast Jazz and people give you weird looks? I feel out of place 24/7, but ive learned not to give a ****.

Yeah, quite often! And, I too, have been out of place, for most of my life, adult life, anyway.

I don't concern myself with what other people think, or say, that way...but, there are times, when

I feel almost "stifled," by Rock's limitations, and self-perpetuating vicious circle. Like, no

matter how it may seem to change, it's always (more or less) the same!

(Don't mind me, too much...I'm in a "weird" mood/state of mind!) [tongue][biggrin]

CB

No, I feel like I have gone full circle, I started with the NWOBHM, got into the main 70's bands got into the hard rock of the 80's then Thrash Metal then when grunge was around for a couple of years I did not quite get into it so I looked for something deeper and found the blues, it seemed like the earlier the blues the deeper. I also got into a lot of classic bands that I only had brushed in the past. Nowadays I still prefer my Hard Rock, Heavy Metal and Thrash Metal.

I actually feel better than ever about my music taste...now I have to work on my playing and damned I need to find somebody to play either Blues or Hard rock, right now I am playing 90's music with friends, that's all they know.

I can remember going through a serious classical (mostly baroque) phase in college. I walked around campus with my giant cassette Walkman listening to chamber music. I also went through an intense bluegrass phrase. You get some strange looks on a college campus with bluegrass blaring from your VW!

I guess my overall philosophy is that it's all just music... there are only 12 notes!

I go through phases, probably like a lot of people. It's easier for me to play the rock music I like, but I prefer jazz, and it is much harder for me to play well the jazz I like. I'm still learning. My ambition is to play like guitar like Bird Parker and Wayne Shorter play sax and Bill Evans plays piano.

Do any of you feel like that?! Old or younger members...

Do you ever feel "out of place" (era or time wise), playing

what you do?

I have to say, I do...at times. And, those times/feelings,

seem to come about more often, these days, for some reason???

CB

Well rock was my life. I was a drummer in many bands in S Florida and as a teen I used to gig a lot and do studio work until 1992 (21 yrs old) when I moved from US to Pananma and completely stoped playing. But two years ago, I started again, and I feel like my life just begun. However, my taste in music did change a lot.

I do regret not playing for so long and I guess that´s why my playing is still in the 80´s.

By the way, how old are you?

Well rock was my life. I was a drummer in many bands in S Florida and as a teen I used to gig a lot and do studio work until 1992 (21 yrs old) when I moved from US to Pananma and completely stoped playing. But two years ago, I started again, and I feel like my life just begun. However, my taste in music did change a lot.

I do regret not playing for so long and I guess that´s why my playing is still in the 80´s.

By the way, how old are you?

OLD, as dirt! I started playing in the early-mid 60's. Took a 30+ year hiatus,

and got back into it, in 2000. I love it, hate it, elated by it, frustrated by

it, all the "rock & roll" emotions, you can have. LOL And...I go though this

"what's it all mean?" phase, every so often. More so, now, than ever, I suppose?

But, thanks (all) for the replies...keep 'em coming. I'm always interested in

other's points of view, and feelings, in this regard.

[biggrin]

CB

Well, I guess all those emotions can become great music!!!

Hope you find nothing but joy!!!!

Keep rockin´[thumbup]

OLD, as dirt! I started playing in the early-mid 60's. Took a 30+ year hiatus,

and got back into it, in 2000. I love it, hate it, elated by it, frustrated by

it, all the "rock & roll" emotions, you can have. LOL And...I go though this

"what's it all mean?" phase, every so often. More so, now, than ever, I suppose?

But, thanks (all) for the replies...keep 'em coming. I'm always interested in

other's points of view, and feelings, in this regard.

[biggrin]

CB

Well, I guess all those emotions can become great music!!!

Hope you find nothing but joy!!!!

Keep rockin´[thumbup]

[biggrin] Thanks. Yeah, I've got hundreds of song lyrics/poems, written

already. And, even a bunch of chord progressions, that could easily become

completed songs. But, I feel like I've lived long enough now, that nothing

sounds "original," anymore. Like they would just be "bad" versions, of

something better, done much earlier. LOL And, who needs that?! [tongue][unsure]

CB

In a a world where my generation listens to nothing but hip hop, rap, dubstep, techno, and pop, I feel out of place every single day. But I honestly don't give a $hit. Let them listen to their garbage and I'll listen to my Rock N' Roll and Blues. msp_cool.gif

Really hoping that 60's and 70's style Rock N' Roll is going to make a huge comeback in the near future. As in, before I die.

Not even close.

Just last night whilst cooking dinner I had my MP3 on. There's an extremely wide range of music on it but when "Whole Lotta Rosie" started up....

The expression on my wife's face when she entered the kitchen....................[huh]

LOL!

P.

Not even close.

Just last night whilst cooking dinner I had my MP3 on. There's an extremely wide range of music on it but when "Whole Lotta Rosie" started up....

The expression on my wife's face when she entered the kitchen....................[huh]

LOL!

P.

Ah...the light hearted misogyny of it all....Rock On !!

V

:-({|=

r and r.. damn right,.

the drive to play and disect comes and goes but the love for music will always be there.. i dont find my self turning away from rock, actually i find the opposite, the older i get the more i drop the thrash and metal and the more i move into blues and rock.

Rock is part of the youth culture. It's not about bald guys who worry about their pension plans and house payments.

But I guess there's a lot of money to be made selling old guys guitars and remastered box sets... [lol]

IMO people should act their age. Let's be honest: Isn't it more fitting for someone in his 60's to be puttering around in the garden rather than jamming to this song?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVglLs3uA8Y&feature=related

You do!!!! At least for me there is nothing more satisfying than listening to a song that I´ve ceeated. And I know that I may sound like somebody else, but we all have our musical influence. But it´s your creation and your words that are important.

[biggrin] Thanks. Yeah, I've got hundreds of song lyrics/poems, written

already. And, even a bunch of chord progressions, that could easily become

completed songs. But, I feel like I've lived long enough now, that nothing

sounds "original," anymore. Like they would just be "bad" versions, of

something better, done much earlier. LOL And, who needs that?! [tongue][unsure]

CB

Rock is part of the youth culture. It's not about bald guys who worry about their pension plans and house payments.

But I guess there's a lot of money to be made selling old guys guitars and remastered box sets... [lol]

IMO people should act their age. Let's be honest: Isn't it more fitting for someone in his 60's to be puttering around in the garden rather than jamming to this song?

Get off my lawn, sonny boy!

I'm in my 60s and still am into the 60s/70s rock. Once in a while I'll hear something I haven't heard in 40 years and sit down and try to play it. Sometimes sucessful, sometimes stymied. I wonder if my inner self is still trying to live my youth. Also enjoy blues. Don't get into country much, especially the newer stuff, nor bluegrass. Big problem is finding others to play with, most of the time its by myself.

Yes, but it has it's advantages. I introduced my oldest son to the Eagles and Sinatra. He introduced me to John Mayer. I introduced my youngest son to Ray Charles and he introduced me to Corey Smith. It's been kind of a win-win.

Speaking of feeling old (and Corey Smith)... listen to this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVglLs3uA8Y&feature=related

Hate to bust your bubble, but who's youth culture do you think it was that brought rock to the forefront? Guess what, we are now in our 60s and we remember when it all started. I remember in the early 60s my dad (a hardcore country guy) called it garbage and it was just a passing fad that would soon disappear. A lot of artists are now doing remakes of 60s/70s rock songs and a lot of bands from that era are still playing it. I'll continue to sit on my porch or deck and play 60s/70s rock songs, which are part of my being and an influence on who I am today, until I can no longer pick up a guitar.

Not even close.

LOL!

P.

What [confused] she has never listened to AC/DC before [-X You need to get her out more often

Archived