Gibson Brands Forums

Are you, or have you outgrown "Rock & Roll?"

charlie brown

Rock is part of the youth culture. It's not about bald guys who worry about their pension plans and house payments.

But I guess there's a lot of money to be made selling old guys guitars and remastered box sets... [lol]

IMO people should act their age. Let's be honest: Isn't it more fitting for someone in his 60's to be puttering around in the garden rather than jamming to this song?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVglLs3uA8Y&feature=related

Just saw Ted play this a few months ago. I doubt most 28 year olds could have kept pace with the old man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHDA5nHlDrQ

I can't guess I'll ever out grow the rock and roll.

My buddies used to get on my case when they'd come by my place and ask if I had any music from the last decade.Now things have gone full circles where the rest of the guys my age are getting on the nostalgia trip again while I go for comtemporary alternative music such as Nada Surf,Midlake,Matthew Sweet etc.When I get out gigging again though I am going to go totally for British Invasion era music but will play US groups such as the Beau Brummels,Paul Revere and the Raiders etc.because even younger adults are getting into the music that their parents used to listen to.

I'm guessing I'm the oldest "regular," at least in the Lounge, and no, I ain't never gonna outgrow "rock."

Yes, I think it'll "stick" around more or less like swing classics are still around.

The advantage to the era of roughly '55 through '70 or so is that what we call "rock" was incredibly flexible. Ditto "country." It ran from updates from the 20s through reinterpretations of blues to Brit music hall stuff. Just as I'm frequently surprised by a lesser-known tune from the late 30s or early 40s, I think young musicians today will find things they consider hidden gems in the earlier rock era.

Alone nowadays I tend to do jazz versions of some doowop, etc. But I'm also happy with a bit of bluegrass, baroque, swing, blues, folk, jazz, 50s pop...

One thing about today's music scene that I think is probably good is that "good" music is likely to go over in most venues. Unfortunately there are fewer venues.

But would I feel silly on stage doin' Link Wray's Rumble at max volume in black jeans, T shirt and leather jacket? Nope. On the other hand, I'm not sure the gray hair would make it into a DA with lotza butchwax - although I'm lucky enough still to have some hair to consider it...

m

What [confused] she has never listened to AC/DC before [-X You need to get her out more often

Ahh....obviously I didn't explain it very well.

It was an i-pod type personal-mp3-player and I was listening with the headphones on.

It wasn't any music that surprised her - she couldn't even hear that; it was the sight of me careening all around the kitchen with my air-guitar which did the trick.......

Puppy.

Get off my lawn, sonny boy!

LOL! [biggrin]

Hate to bust your bubble, but who's youth culture do you think it was that brought rock to the forefront? Guess what, we are now in our 60s and we remember when it all started. I remember in the early 60s my dad (a hardcore country guy) called it garbage and it was just a passing fad that would soon disappear. A lot of artists are now doing remakes of 60s/70s rock songs and a lot of bands from that era are still playing it. I'll continue to sit on my porch or deck and play 60s/70s rock songs, which are part of my being and an influence on who I am today, until I can no longer pick up a guitar.

Listen to whatever makes you happy...Sir! 8-[

Just saw Ted play this a few months ago. I doubt most 28 year olds could have kept pace with the old man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHDA5nHlDrQ

I realize that guys in their 60's can still play guitar.

All I'm saying is that Rock is more convincing when it's coming from guys who don't have to dye their hair...

That multiquote stuff is confusing! ](*,)'

I find that if it's great music it will always grab my attention! For example big band music like B Goodman's In the mood [thumbup] ,Flatt-SCruggs , now there's some awesome pick'in! Some classical, orchestral music can be very interesting.Don't get me wrong the things that rock and blues did will always be great in my mind! What I have found is that some of the great rock from the 60s that I found so fantastic at that time,has had the sheen wore off from the last 30 years of fm radio's playing those limited few, OVER AND OVER again and again! [thumbdn] The good part is there is a lot from then, that really didn't get over played or even remembered. So when hearing it now, sounds as it did the 1st time .:wub: Love all my HUMBLE PIE,MOUNTAIN,SAVOY BROWN. etc. I also find that the blues that we got as kids and it was some what limited. It really left a big mark on my psyche. From the old bluesmen to the likes of the newer ones like Joe Bonamassa,Walter Trout,Hamilton Loomis,Derek Trucks! There is a lot great things still happening ,we just don't find it on the radio. :angry: :angry: It appears to me that our personalities /likes-dislikes that we have do have some sort of continuity! that's what I see,from the other side of the hill! (as in over the hill) +:-@ Still lov'in rock and the blues at 58 years old! :D/ With no end in sight!

Grampa... you nailed it there.

Also I kinda resent young kids who think they invented the rock-and-roll attitude complaining about gray or no hair. The "stick in in your ear" of a "rebel without a cause" ain't dead either.

Life's interesting. Young "rockers" wanna be like old rockers were when they were young but now don't think old rockers should still be rockin'? Sheesh.

m

Rock is part of the youth culture. It's not about bald guys who worry about their pension plans and house payments.

But I guess there's a lot of money to be made selling old guys guitars and remastered box sets... [lol]

IMO people should act their age. Let's be honest: Isn't it more fitting for someone in his 60's to be puttering around in the garden rather than jamming to this song?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVglLs3uA8Y&feature=related

"Youth is wasted on the young." - George Bernard Shaw

Wow! ](*,) I can only say that as one of those "old guys", music is still a very important part of my life. I've been playing semi-pro for 40 years. I'm not quite 60 and I have no plans for a garden just yet...... Age (or hair) has nothing to do with talent or love of music. As shocking as it may seem, most of us actually improve with age if we keep learning and working at our trade. So I'll keep playing and learning until I can't move my amp - when that happens, I'll be in the garden listening to Rock on my ipod - hopefully when I'm 80.

BTW: don't worry - you'll be 60 before you know it, and I hope you'll be on a stage and not puttering in your garden!

Turned 60 this past year, and nothing much has changed. There's good music & bad music. I get to determine what my ears consider good music & that's what I listen to, whether it's the rock & roll of my junior high years, or what led up to it: Lang/Venuti, Reinhardt/Grappelli, Goodman/Christian, Monroe/Flatt/Scruggs, Muddy/Spann, Travis, Wills, etc. From that springs my own stuff. Almost anything can contribute, except rap!

Yeah, lots of good points, here. My love of Rock & Roll, has NOT diminished,

at all...but I think part of "My" problem, right now, is lack of opportunity,

and other's to play with, on any regular schedule. That breeds frustration,

and discontent. But, I'm not going to give up, Rock, or music...ever again.

I gave up playing, when "Disco" became the rage, and stayed away, much too long,

once. That won't happen, again. The old fingers may not move as fast and/or

accurately, as they used to. But, as many have pointed out, there can be improvements,

in how one plays. So, that's always a good thing! I've always

preferred some 50's, a lot of '60's-mid 70's rock, and the "blues based" variety,

in particular. But, there is great music, in all eras. As some have said, you just

have to look harder, to find it.

Thanks, All (again)...for your responses...it's always interesting, and (mostly)

encouraging. [thumbup]

CB

Yes, but it has it's advantages. I introduced my oldest son to the Eagles and Sinatra. He introduced me to John Mayer. I introduced my youngest son to Ray Charles and he introduced me to Corey Smith. It's been kind of a win-win.

Speaking of feeling old (and Corey Smith)... listen to this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpRpky8Zk84

Nice tune, and so true.............

Ahh....obviously I didn't explain it very well.

It was an i-pod type personal-mp3-player and I was listening with the headphones on.

It wasn't any music that surprised her - she couldn't even hear that; it was the sight of me careening all around the kitchen with my air-guitar which did the trick.......

Puppy.

Long Live Rock Puppy! [thumbup]

Have you outgrown R & R?

Hell No! Not with bands like Hell Yeah & Chicken Foot & A7X and all the others putting out good ear candy. 54 and still cranking the R & R tunes in the car and at home and to hell with the neighbors (well at least until a reasonable hours, no need having the cops (or my wife) come tell me to turn it down:-)

I gave up playing, when "Disco" became the rage, and stayed away, much too long,

once.

You don't even know what you gave up running away from Disco. Do you not know women love to dance and love a man who can dance too.;)

You don't even know what you gave up running away from Disco. Do you not know women love to dance and love a man who can dance too.;)

Didn't say I didn't dance, did I??? All I said was, that I stopped playing. [biggrin]

At the time, it seemed right, and even logical, on some level. I didn't even

miss not playing, for decades! Only in 2000, did I get "the bug," again...for

some odd reason. I'm just glad I did. As frustrating as it can be, I still do

enjoy it, maybe even more than ever.

CB

Rock and Roll and Blue Jeans are forever! [thumbup]

I love rock and roll. And I'm sick of girls thinking yoga pants are acceptable for school. Honestly? It looks pretty... slutty imo. Then again, it depends who wears it and how it's worn, but what happened to jeans? It seems they've gone out of style. I own a pair of bellbottoms too... I'm double out of style...

Not really. I'm 64, and I remember when it all started, and I still love it. Try listening to some early Elvis with Scotty Moore...He is still one of the great guitar players, IMO...and there are a lot of very good players now...I am interested in music that has moving emotional qualities, not necessarily overwhelming technical virtuosity...

I started playing in '63 and have played on and off since...I'm still learning.

mark

added; Les Paul talked about when Rock n Roll started...the jazz guitar players of the time were grumbling...these kids played the wrong music, wrong keys, wrong chords, wrong guitars...and in a few years, those jazzers were looking for work...

I'm sick of "classic rock" except for the more obscure stuff, and I will listen to newer releases by older artists. Metal? '80s hair bands cured me of metal. The only place I can go to hear new stuff is here, and I like some of it, but not enough to buy it. Most of it is just noise to me without much musicality (like my parents descibed R'n'R; of course, they listened to Percy Faith). To me, R'n'R is going through another stagnant phase similar to the one that allowed disco to flourish, just before new wave and punk. There are a couple of college stations near me that play a lot of new stuff. Most of it is not appealing to me.

That's why I am re-discovering jazz. There is so much out there, and a lot of good new stuff.

Thankfully, I don't feel I've outgrown R&R yet. My tastes have evolved slightly over the years, but then I think I had pretty broad musical tastes even as a teenager. For instance, I had no problem listening to bands like Iron Maiden or ELO.

If anything I think music in general and specifically Rock and Roll helps keep us younger. At least in attitude. B) If I ever lose that sense of wonder and thrill of listening to a great song or a fantastic musician, then I guess I'll know I've officially become "old".

Even more so with playing music. Just getting together with my buds and jamming on simple 3 chord songs seems to rejuvenate everyone from the grind of "real" life and gives us all something to look forward to the next time we all get together to make some more noise. Or as the old folks call it... "Rock and Roll" :rolleyes:

Yeah, I never listen to "Classic Rock" on the Radio, at all. They play the same rotation of songs,

forever! Just like too many bands (around these parts), that each play the same songs, they've

been playing, for 45 years! Don't get me wrong, I love those old songs, too...but, there are

SO MANY more "Classic Rock" (and later) songs that are as good, if not better, that could/should be

played, that I just don't understand the "rut" these people are in, at all!!! ](*,) I mentioned,

and continue to press, for a female lead singer, or at least a backup, than could sing "lead" when

needed. That's been a "non-starter," for them, as well. Which, of course, limits even more, what

we could be playing, beyond the "same old, same old!" I really don't get the mindset, here!!! It's

a major source of musical frustration, for me. But (realistically), I'm "stuck" here, for various reasons...

for now, anyway. However, I'll "keep choppin', even though no chips are flying (yet)!" [tongue][biggrin]

CB

I don't know if it comes with being older, but I find I have less interest in newer rock music. I hate most of the hip hop/dance crap that's been out there all along although will admit to being a fan of rap back before it got commercialized in the late 80's or early 90's.

My tastes are for mainly 70's and 80's rock/hard rock/metal, the early 90's Grunge bands that were the new thing when I was in highschool, blues and jazz.

I used to get weird looks in the late 90's early 2000's when I was playing in bands because I had a somewhat evolved sense of improvisation that came from a combination of actually studying Jazz at the time (my late teens/early 20's) and the fact that I was just too lazy to be bothered learning solos note for note. I learned parts of solos, which worked well in the sense that people weren't as likely to notice that I didn't know the solos; but every so often a very jazzy phrase would come out that didn't necessarily sound bad in the context I used it, but was just not commonly heard in rock or metal so it grabbed people's attention.

I do feel a bit out of place now because the music I play is not reflective of what's going on currently at all. The music I like that has come out in the past 10 years is just not something I could be bothered playing.

Archived