Gibson Brands Forums

Replacement Machine heads

macbeat

I've got a 1979 Gibson ES 175 D guitar and I want to replace the existing Gibson machine heads. There are a lot of options out there but no one seems to know what will fit this guitar . I've been checking out the Gibson Vintage Nickel heads with perloid buttons - anyone out there know if they will fit ??.Also the pup covers are badly scratched - so I'll need to get new covers -chrome or nickel ?? -any advice welcome -thankyou - macbeat

• 1 month later...

I've got a 1979 Gibson ES 175 D guitar and I want to replace the existing Gibson machine heads. There are a lot of options out there but no one seems to know what will fit this guitar . I've been checking out the Gibson Vintage Nickel heads with perloid buttons - anyone out there know if they will fit ??.Also the pup covers are badly scratched - so I'll need to get new covers -chrome or nickel ?? -any advice welcome -thankyou - macbeat

Schaller might be a good place to start, they have a wealth of information and technical drawings with all the dimensions

Schaller

You can choose what ever you like really.

If you can see how many and where the existing screw holes are, match that, then worry about cosmetics.

Any tuner you install will work.

I think the set I've seen most on that guitar in that year was metal tulip button, I've recently seen several of that year range with what looks like a kluson tuner.

Unfortunately the reissues do not have metal knobs.

Really its about matching the holes.

Later on Schaller's were OEM on Gibsons.

You can tell by the screw hole and back plate pattern that will be pressed into the finish on the guitars headstock which one you had of the stock tuners have gone missing.

Why exactly do you want to replace the tuners?

You're going to replace the pickup covers because they're scratched? It's a guitar, mate. The parts get scratched when the guitar gets played. Live with it.

Guest EastEnder

Why exactly do you want to replace the tuners?

You're going to replace the pickup covers because they're scratched? It's a guitar, mate. The parts get scratched when the guitar gets played. Live with it.

Perhaps he wants to spruce things up a bit.

What's wrong with that?

As to the nickel/chrome question...

Nickel vs. Chrome

Thankyou for your responses . There is much wisdom here and I'll take your advise !.I'd just bought the guitar - it had a lot of dings-scratches-the metal tulip machineheads were worn and g string machine head was shorter than the rest -pup covers had been scrubbed/sandpapered (don't know why) turns out they the original pups had been replaced anyway. In response to j4 Nick -sure I can leave it as it is-just don't see the point since its been butchered anyway.!.Gave it to a Luthier - got new Lindy Fralin pups to replace the existing Di-marzios and a new set of Gibson perloid tuners + they 're going to polish the scratches out- (dings are difficult to fix). Haven't got it back yet but it should now be an instrument to be proud of . -kind regards - macbeat

Thankyou for your responses . There is much wisdom here and I'll take your advise !.I'd just bought the guitar - it had a lot of dings-scratches-the metal tulip machineheads were worn and g string machine head was shorter than the rest -pup covers had been scrubbed/sandpapered (don't know why) turns out they the original pups had been replaced anyway. In response to j4 Nick -sure I can leave it as it is-just don't see the point since its been butchered anyway.!.Gave it to a Luthier - got new Lindy Fralin pups to replace the existing Di-marzios and a new set of Gibson perloid tuners + they 're going to polish the scratches out- (dings are difficult to fix). Haven't got it back yet but it should now be an instrument to be proud of . -kind regards - macbeat

It's more clear now why you want to do these things. Sometimes, people change them for no good reason. Just trying to make sure there's a rational reason behind it, and it appears there is.

• 2 weeks later...
1330424601[/url]' post='1135245']

Congrats on your ES175D. The changes you've made seem very worthwhile and I'm sure that you will enjoy it when you get it back. When I bought Gibsons in the early '70's I found the tuners to be not precise enough and would slip. I changed all of mine over to Schallers which I really liked. I only have one of those guitars now and the schallers are still perfect. The tuners on more recently made Gibsons seem much better and I now leave the originals on.

I would be interested in your view of the sound from your new pickups. On my ES 165 & my ES 175 I changed the pickups over to Benedetto's to get the sound that I wanted. Worked for my ES165 which was recently used for recording purposes but I'm thinking I may change my ES175 back.

Archived