Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
PickyPick

Epiphone Dove

Im in the market for an Epiphone Dove guitar (i prefer it over the Hummingbird simply cause its made of Maple) I have a few questions though. I read elsewhere that the sides of these guitars are laminated and how does that turn out for aging? as far as i know the Spruce top is solid so that would open up the wood but what about the rest of the instrument? Also one fellow on youtube had his Dove custom ordered to have the whole guitar solid, which means no laminated parts. How is this possible?

Also i am an onstage player so i would also like to ask what are some above decent acoustic guitar pickups? im liking the Fishman i hear from the video but what others are there? i am new to the acoustic guitar world (you would see me more towards the Epi Electrics section :P) and dont know that much about Acoustic stuff. greatly appreciated for helping :D

i would be suspect of that video and seller, simply because although he claims solid back and sides, he never actually shows the back and sides in the video (in addition to some poor playing and bag grammar :rolleyes: ). Since these are all made en mass abroad I cannot believe that someone could special order one guitar. Additionally, for the price you'd pay for something like that, you could just get a masterbilt or who knows even a cheap used j45 or something.

Have you played the dove and hummingbird side by side? i have an 06 hummingbird that has opened well from solid daily playing. laminate back and sides, but a much better sound 5 or so years later than the ones I check out at GC today. I did a side by side when buying it with a masterbilt, dove, and a $300 yamaha, with full intention to buy the masterbilt, but found the dove way too bright, the masterbilt lacking mids and unbalanced, and the yamaha and hummingbird about the same. Couldnt be happier with my choice, buy YMMV. And of course the sound changed considerably once i got those wirey epi strings off of there!

as for pickups, i think it really comes down to fishman or LR Baggs. both are great from what i know. Im also looking at getting a J50 with a k&k pure western passive pickup which, while it might be a headache, doesnt show up anywhere and makes the guitar keep it's acoustic look

i would be suspect of that video and seller, simply because although he claims solid back and sides, he never actually shows the back and sides in the video (in addition to some poor playing and bag grammar :rolleyes: ). Since these are all made en mass abroad I cannot believe that someone could special order one guitar. Additionally, for the price you'd pay for something like that, you could just get a masterbilt or who knows even a cheap used j45 or something.

Have you played the dove and hummingbird side by side? i have an 06 hummingbird that has opened well from solid daily playing. laminate back and sides, but a much better sound 5 or so years later than the ones I check out at GC today. I did a side by side when buying it with a masterbilt, dove, and a $300 yamaha, with full intention to buy the masterbilt, but found the dove way too bright, the masterbilt lacking mids and unbalanced, and the yamaha and hummingbird about the same. Couldnt be happier with my choice, buy YMMV. And of course the sound changed considerably once i got those wirey epi strings off of there!

as for pickups, i think it really comes down to fishman or LR Baggs. both are great from what i know. Im also looking at getting a J50 with a k&k pure western passive pickup which, while it might be a headache, doesnt show up anywhere and makes the guitar keep it's acoustic look

Sounds to me as though he has made his choice betwen the H'bird and the Dove, so maybe he's lookking for the brightness of the maple-body of the latter. I have to ask you, though, which Masterbilt are you talking about? Balance is one of the best qualities of my AJ500RC. Of course, all in the eye (ear) of the beholder.

To the original post--it's the top that's going to do most of the "opening up" in the future, anyway.

Yeah I have played them both and I plan on putting gibson master built bronze phospher 12 gauge strings, and I did like the brightness over the hummingbird. And fishmen pickups? Is there a certain type I should look for? Or are certain pickups for certain types of acoustics?

OK.... so i visited guitar center today... they didnt have the Dove in stock but they did have 3 hummingbirds in stock and all in the backroom, in their box, unopened, and untouched by other wandering hands. Strings on the guitar were Gibson 12 gauge but which set i have no idea but it sounded good. I was going to order the dove into the store but then one more thing completely hit me that made me get it and it was the finish. The sound was excellent and after i change the Nut and Bone as i did with my EJ 200 EC it should sound much better, the feel was amazing i love the neck it was great smooth all the way and it wasnt uncomfortable to play the body size takes a bit of getting used to since ive been playing only jumbos recently but thats not a problem. The finish on this thing though was amazing i loved the red sunburst on the guitar its stunning i already have a natural finished guitar (my EJ) and i thought well this guitar is pleasing to my ear really lights me up so i caved and got the hummingbird right on the spot. perhaps if the Dove had a red sunburst finish i may have waited around but according to the assistant and many people on mylespaul forums they say there are subtle differences between the 2 instruments, the Dove being a bit brighter, so i went for it ^_^ very pleased cant wait to go pick it up.

Couldnt take it home yet as i didnt want to spend another 30 somewhat dollars on a temp soft case i have a dreadnought hard case at home already so i decided to pay and have it put it away until i can pick it up (also dont want to carry it in a box... NYC Subway can be reckless and i wouldnt forgive myself for having the guitar get hurt cause the lack of protection. :D

For a pickup system, look at the B-band A2.2 or the A6T if you like the preamp and the tuner. I love the B-band stuff, but the K&K is good also. Whatever you do, get a soundboard and an undersaddle transducer for the best sound.

Take a look at shorelinemusic.com to learn more about pickup systems.

P.S. I would have gotten the Dove. I like the maple brightness, it works great in a live band situation. With the right pickup system you won't lose any of the bass....

nice one! the diff between the sound between an epi 'bird and dove is like the other people have said...subtle. it's still a dreadnaught and smaller bodied than your ej200 so will still be much brighter in comparison.

bloozeguy i believe i was playing a dr500...i didn't say because i cant really remember. I just remember it had great range, but just lacking in mids...for my taste. Like i said i went in there wanting to love it and spend $200 more than i did, but it didnt happen. I've been happy with my 'bird and like i said with daily playing the top has opened up pretty well. the finish makes it stand out in a crowd.

as for the pickup, the M1 seems to be an industry standard when not going a/e, but again, up to you

Picking out acoustic guitars is like window shopping, you have to check around as the better brands are not going to be exactly the same as they come off the assembly line. Subtle tonal and some times obvious construction and finish variations happen often from guitar to guitar, granted the bad ones are scraped/repaired before they leave the factory but there are "grade's" in all products. It's just that this type of product is more questionable from any one players tastes and needs. Solid wood has memory so if it grows on a tree strait, it's always going to want to be strait unless it is held in a different shape by fastening it in place in some way or another.

As far as pick-up's go I don't like them at all and just use a good mic and preamp, but I've used a basic strait wired Martin pick-up (no EQ controls) I believe was made by Fishman it wasn't to awful bad.

Don't get too hung up on the laminate back and side thing. Some of the best guitars I own have maple laminate back and sides - a 1960 Gibson J-200 and 1955/56 Epi FT-79. The key is what kind of laminate is used in the build. A good laminate will consist of several even layers of the same wood glued together. But then there is the other kind which is pretty much little more than a thin layer of nice veneer over some cheap filler stuff.

What Epiphone uses these days though, I ain't gotta a clue.