Gibson Brands Forums

Banjo Care

Bergie

I have just bought an Earl Scruggs Golden Deluxe from the original owner. I've never had gold-plated anything before and this banjo is the finest I've ever owned. I have 3 issues and if any of you can assist I'd be grateful (the interface on the Gibson web site isn't working).

1. The banjo needs cleaning but I don't know what I should use to clean and polish the gold plating. The tone ring appears to be pitted as well but it doesn't look like its plated and I'm wondering if a polish of some sort is OK to use on it.

2. According to the original invoice, the serial # is 05-60 DLX but I cannot find where it is on the unit.

3. The original case is with the banjo and I'd like to clean and polish the clasps. The draw catches don't appear to be plated but the dial lock is still shiny so it may be. Again, can I use a brass polish or some other compound?

Any help will be gratefully welcome.

• 2 weeks later...

I have just bought an Earl Scruggs Golden Deluxe from the original owner. I've never had gold-plated anything before and this banjo is the finest I've ever owned. I have 3 issues and if any of you can assist I'd be grateful (the interface on the Gibson web site isn't working).

1. The banjo needs cleaning but I don't know what I should use to clean and polish the gold plating. The tone ring appears to be pitted as well but it doesn't look like its plated and I'm wondering if a polish of some sort is OK to use on it.

2. According to the original invoice, the serial # is 05-60 DLX but I cannot find where it is on the unit.

3. The original case is with the banjo and I'd like to clean and polish the clasps. The draw catches don't appear to be plated but the dial lock is still shiny so it may be. Again, can I use a brass polish or some other compound?

Any help will be gratefully welcome.

For anyone interested, I found the answer myself by accident. I mentioned the gold cleaning aspect to a jeweler when I picked up a watch I had repaired. He advised to try Wright's silver cream and it works. It shines up the gold surface and removes 98% of the tarnish, but the directions MUST be followed and it is best to do it when the banjo is mostly apart. No need to remove the pot assembly from the neck, but having the head and resonator off provides access to all of the plated areas.

For the case, the original manufacture does not recommend cleaning the hinges. They advise that the material used to polish the hinges could be detrimental to the instrument.

Have a nice day all - Bergie

Archived