Gibson Brands Forums

95 Gibson J-200 Birdseye Question

Greetings,

I am new here and was hoping I could get some feedback both about and as to the value of my instrument. I have a 95 Gibson J-200 Birdseye # 2 of 250. The Label is signed by Ren Ferguson. I purchased this instrument new and am the only owner. Any help as to the value for insurance purposes would be greatly appreciated. Also, were 250 of these made?

Thanks very much.

regards,

Ray

peace

I'm beginning to think that the Ren signature guitars will be valuable one day. Kind of like "pre-fender Guilds" or "pre-Fender Tacomas" (or Basically "pre-Fender ANYTHING) We will now have "Post Norlin Gibsons" and "Post Ren Furguson Gibsons"......Anything with Ren's signature after he retires will increase in value.

Greetings,

I am new here and was hoping I could get some feedback both about and as to the value of my instrument. I have a 95 Gibson J-200 Birdseye # 2 of 250. The Label is signed by Ren Ferguson. I purchased this instrument new and am the only owner. Any help as to the value for insurance purposes would be greatly appreciated. Also, were 250 of these made?

Thanks very much.

regards,

Ray

peace

I'm not sure what the value is but Gibson did make 57 in Antique Natural finish and 1 in a Vintage Sunburst in 1995. They made 1 in Antique Natural in 1996. Gibson was always optimistic in the number of guitars they could sell and they only made as many as they had orders for. It looks like you have a very interesting guitar for sure. They say there are also 17 out there in AE which by their code is Antique Ebony. I know that they never did that. No one in there right mind would make a Birdseye Maple J-200 and paint it Black. Not even Gibson. You might mention these numbers in any quote you ask for. Ask your Gibson dealer to get a Custom quote from Gibson and you will know the replacement value for insurance purposes.

You have a wonderful guitar and photos would be appreciated.

I'm beginning to think that the Ren signature guitars will be valuable one day. Kind of like "pre-fender Guilds" or "pre-Fender Tacomas" (or Basically "pre-Fender ANYTHING) We will now have "Post Norlin Gibsons" and "Post Ren Furguson Gibsons"......Anything with Ren's signature after he retires will increase in value.

you forgot about Post-Ferguson Guilds

(just fueling the rumor mill :rolleyes: )

• 4 months later...

Unless it's for financial reasons, hold on to it.... it may pay you back much more handsomely a little further down the line. There will always be vast amounts of players unaware of who Ren Ferguson is/was, but there will also always be hard core Gibson fans who do and will pay quite well to have such a guitar.

It's seeing stuff like this that pains me to know Ren will not make another Gibby of this Caliber !

JC

So true.. But I think the 90s for Gibson Acoustics were the best...

What about the T.V series ????

JC

JC... Im not much into fabricated prices with a True Vintage Label.. when they made Gibson Acoustic Guitars everybit as Nice in the early to mid 90s.. for the Folks that own a TV Gibson.. Congrats.. enjoy them.. just for me ,, I can not see paying a 1000.00 more than the standard gibsons for the sound you should expect from all Gibson Acoiustics.

• 10 months later...

What about the T.V series ????

JC

I had a 1994 J-200 I bought new in 1994. My main axe for many, many years. Just lovely. I did sell it in 2012, but as soon as I let it go, I realized that I liked having a J200.

So I did a lot of homework, looked around.

I ended up with a 2008 SJ-200 VOS True Vintage, from a limited edition run of 167. Apparently, these were the first production SJ-200s to get Adirondack tops, at least from Bozeman years.

It is a better guitar than my 1994, and I think most players would agree with me. It has more power/volume on tap than the 1994, especially on the treble strings, while still having the tonal characteristics I associate with J-200s (strong fundamentals, etc). Basically, it sounds like my 1994 except that I can get more volume out of it when I want to. And the 1994 wasn't any slouch, there was a reason I kept it for 18 years.

However, this is only one data point - I just had one 90's J-200 and one 2008 SJ-200 TV, so you can't compare the whole lineup by these two examples.

I had a 1994 J-200 I bought new in 1994. My main axe for many, many years. Just lovely. I did sell it in 2012, but as soon as I let it go, I realized that I liked having a J200.

So I did a lot of homework, looked around.

I ended up with a 2008 SJ-200 VOS True Vintage, from a limited edition run of 167. Apparently, these were the first production SJ-200s to get Adirondack tops, at least from Bozeman years.

It is a better guitar than my 1994, and I think most players would agree with me. It has more power/volume on tap than the 1994, especially on the treble strings, while still having the tonal characteristics I associate with J-200s (strong fundamentals, etc). Basically, it sounds like my 1994 except that I can get more volume out of it when I want to. And the 1994 wasn't any slouch, there was a reason I kept it for 18 years.

However, this is only one data point - I just had one 90's J-200 and one 2008 SJ-200 TV, so you can't compare the whole lineup by these two examples.

I Quite agree with you.. My TV is very loud, much more so than the standard and like you say especially on the bas/treble

side.. it is a very different guitar!

At another 1000 bucks you would expect it to be...

• 2 months later...

I know this question isn't directed to me but I can offer some info on the strap button. I have #19 of #250 of the 95 Birdseye maple. Mine has a strap button in the same spot as the OPs Gibson except mine is gold. I have had several local people in guitar shops look at it and they didnt think it was original because they didn't think Gibson would put a strap button where it is. After seeing the placement is the same on mine and the OPs Gibson it makes me think it was originally done at the factory. The sticker inside the soundhole on mine does not have Ren Fergusons signature on it.

Very nice!! was the strap button fitted when you bought it?

On our local CL, there is a guy selling a HB Birdseye, for a pretty penny I might add, and the quality of the back seems to be questionable...but hard to tell with small pics. I guess there are grades of birdseye like AAA, AA, AAAA??? Tell me what you think...

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/msg/3874596104.html

Sorry, not hijacking the thread, just questioning what constitutes quality Birdseye...