Gibson Brands Forums

No tension on neck

Kaptain Krunch

No, not really. If you check neck relief before and after removing the strings, you'll see that it changes. The rod is there as a reinforcement to prevent the neck from bowing under string tension, and it's adjustable for variances in string tension, wood, humidity, etc.. It's interesting to note that necks made from super strong carbon fiber composites don't have truss rods - they don't need them.

Ok cool, Thanks for clearing that up, some very helpful info [thumbup]

You wont have a problem. But if it were to be unstrung for much longer, I would loosen the truss rod a little. Without strings on the guitar, the neck will be either straight (which would be great), or will be back-bowed a little (to be expected). I don't like to leave any neck with a back-bow for long. ;) Not with a one-way truss rod!

You wont have a problem. But if it were to be unstrung for much longer, I would loosen the truss rod a little. Without strings on the guitar, the neck will be either straight (which would be great), or will be back-bowed a little (to be expected). I don't like to leave any neck with a back-bow for long. ;) Not with a one-way truss rod!

[thumbup]+1 I was about to post what strat-o-steve said. As long as the strings you took off were not super heavy gauge, you should be all right for 10 days.

Good luck

B)

J/W

Archived