Gibson Brands Forums

Ren Ferguson Update

Jeremy Morton

No problem. I spent some more time with him tonight..... WITH the Gibson Montana folks. He said that was his family. So, he has moved on professionally but don't think there is bad blood. There isn't. Family is the way he views it. And that was honest. He is such a great guy and I am so glad to know him so well.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Happy to hear the news. I still have a hard time imagining Ren designing acoustic guitars (assuming he is) for Fender. I didn't think Fender really cared about acoustics which is why they sold off Guild. Maybe their intention was to get serious and build a whole new line of acoustics with the Fender name on them. Time will tell.

I talked to Ren today. In person. . . . . .

- He is EXTREMELY happy with Gibson and thankful to Henry for allowing him to do what he did.

Thanks for the first hand news. The over all picture is positive and it sounds as if Mr. Ferguson has recovered from his health-probs/injury as well.

A happy ending/beginning. . . .

He hasn't released a private brand yet. That is the future. He has a couple he is working on for some people but the private label stuff if further out. Expect around 8k on average and nothing TOO flashy like master museum models. He doesn't want to spend all of his time in carving and inlay.

The Music Industry News Network published this legit-looking Fender press release on 1/22/2012:

Fender Musical Instruments Corp. Appoints Ren Ferguson As Chief Acoustic Engineer

1/22/2012

Fender Musical Instruments Corp. (FMIC) announces today that world-renowned master luthier Ren Ferguson has joined its Research & Development (R&D) team as Chief Acoustic Engineer. In that role, Ferguson will assist in the Fender, Guild, Ovation/Adamas and Takamine acoustic product lines, through the creation of innovative new products, and refinement of existing products and related manufacturing practices.

Ferguson comes to FMIC with more than 50 years worth of instrument building experience, focusing on the crafting of acoustic guitars, mandolins and banjos. In 1962, Ren set to pursue his lifelong passion for instrument building that soon expanded to include research and development, manufacturing and training.

"We are very pleased to welcome Ren to the R&D team," said Keith Chapman, senior vice president, R&D for FMIC. "His experience and long history of innovation, high quality and expert craftsmanship will prove to be invaluable to our R&D and manufacturing departments."

Red 333

The Music Industry News Network published this legit-looking Fender press release on 1/22/2012:

Fender Musical Instruments Corp. Appoints Ren Ferguson As Chief Acoustic Engineer

1/22/2012

Fender Musical Instruments Corp. (FMIC) announces today that world-renowned master luthier Ren Ferguson has joined its Research & Development (R&D) team as Chief Acoustic Engineer. In that role, Ferguson will assist in the Fender, Guild, Ovation/Adamas and Takamine acoustic product lines, through the creation of innovative new products, and refinement of existing products and related manufacturing practices.

Ferguson comes to FMIC with more than 50 years worth of instrument building experience, focusing on the crafting of acoustic guitars, mandolins and banjos. In 1962, Ren set to pursue his lifelong passion for instrument building that soon expanded to include research and development, manufacturing and training.

"We are very pleased to welcome Ren to the R&D team," said Keith Chapman, senior vice president, R&D for FMIC. "His experience and long history of innovation, high quality and expert craftsmanship will prove to be invaluable to our R&D and manufacturing departments."

Red 333

Holy cow!

I sure hope Ren gets to work on high-end products like the Guilds, and not some value-leader Fenders.

That's a tricky one, indeed. If Ren has expressed a desire to improve the quality of mass-produced guitars, this could be bad news for brands like Epiphone or other non-Fender house brands. After all, once a design is finalized and the wood is chosen, there's not much a human guitar builder can do that a CNC machine and a bunch of reasonably skilled workers using carefully-designed assembly jigs can't do.

I'm not saying these would destroy the market for high-end or luthier-built guitars, but it could be a shocker for parts of the industry. They must be paying him a ton of money.

Yeah -- first up: The Garth Brooks 'Throw-Into-the-Crowd' signature Takamine model! [biggrin]

Fred

I dont want some entertainers Sig. Blah... Rens would be just fine.. It would have to be something he would create for Guild for us the Buyer... .. any not some Fancied up run of the mills they have now... :rolleyes:

Fender Acoustics burn really Good .. [tongue]

Well....hopefully he will be only "designing" guitars for Fender as George Gruhn did for Guild, Tacoma and his own Signature series.......I would REALLY look forward to see the first Ferguson guitar!!!

Well, Looks like I was right on on my take on this.....(pat on back)....lol

1/22/2012

Red 333

..thanks Red...So its true he will be at GUILD?

Who knows what this collaboration will produce. Some years ago Fender hired Bob Benedetto (renowned jazz guitar luthier) to do the same thing for the Guild jazz boxes. It never really went anywhere and I don't think they're affiliated anymore. Further, I don't think Guild is making jazz guitars anymore and they had a long history of that before Fender bought them.

I wonder with market saturation and established notions as to what certain brands offer whether they will be able to turn that many heads. I'll stay tuned...

Along with whatever good he may have done, Gibsons have been known as inconsistent and overpriced during the Ren era.

Guilds on the other hand are known to be consistent and underpriced.

I wish Ren Ferguson and Guild well.

I hope Gibson improves their consistency to match the other well respected American guitar makers, but I think Henry J will have to leave before that happens.

I hope Gibson improves their consistency to match the other well respected American guitar makers, but I think Henry J will have to leave before that happens.

While lacking in popularity terms compared to Chris MArtin or Bob Taylor, to claim any CEO would advocate a lack of consistency in their own product is ludicrous. Don't believe the hype.

..on the otherhand you'd have got a few 'thumbs-up' for that at the AGF from a fair few... so look at it as a pitching error. ;)

• 2 months later...

"Lack of Consistancy"...

When I read this concerning Gibson Acoustics form Bozeman does it refer to faulty workmanship...

down right bad sound quality...or different sound quality?

Concerning the later..

In the 80's when we were shopping for our Piano at Steinway Hall in New York City.. there was a line of Steinway B Pianos,which is the model we wanted.

The salesman/pianist David White (RIP We miss you) sat at each and every one of them, and they sounded in that great room, distinctly very different.

Expecting an instrument after the sum of its parts,grown by nature,to sound the same once put together is not practical.

Concerning second..

In my (limited experience)Ive figured that when there is an extended production line..they build things to a certain set "spec/formula/recepie"...

In a smaller workshoppe that is less industrialized ..the builder seems to stop and puts some "love"..or attention/adjustment into the thing.

On that Martin factory Tour I was surprised to see the lady scallop the braces in the top in like 20 seconds..and on it went..I don't think there is a guy after her who is flexing the top to take off that little bit more to get maximum response to compensate

for the variation density of the wood. Im sure for they're Custom stuff some addition love goes into that (as I was promised when they did mine).

At the Steinway factory each piano lands in a room,seemingly where the freakest dude of them all is left to "voice" the piano before calling it finished.

The guitars I've come across that one guy made it from start to finish have been the most impressive.

Thanks to the original person who post this thread as to what Mr.Ferguson is doing. It would have been nice if he'd stayed with Gibson..like Seaver should have ended his career with the Mets.. :)

Archived