Gibson Brands Forums

Antiques Roadshow Appraisal: 1924 Gibson F-5 "Lloyd Loar" Mandolin

Tim Plains

I happened to catch this show couple of nights ago, when I looked up and saw that mandolin I knew just how valuable it was going to be, I read and article by George Gruhn once and it talked about this model.

It was stored in a house farm she said, dang, this kind of stuff does happen.

I had already seen some similar examples on Gruhn's website (I was curious at the price of old Gibson acoustics) so had a pretty good idea of it's worth, but of course the first tme I saw them listed I could hardly believe it!

Nice surprise; finding one in the cupboard...

P.

Its one thing to say something is worth something, its a total different story to find someone to pay the price.

I know what you mean but after I watched the clip I checked Gruhn's site again and the two that were listed a few months ago are no longer there although admittedly they were each valued about 20% below the price quoted in the clip.

If you go to Gruhn's site just now you'll see that there's one (albeit a very famous one) for sale at around 30% more than the one on the Roadshow.....

[scared]

P.

I used to work with a guy that had the same type,year,style,Lloyd Loar Mandolin and this was about 12 years ago. He had it appraised back then and if I remember right it was appraised somewhere around $80,000.He was in an all mandolin orchestra with about 30 people in it back then.There were all sizes,types of mandolins playing and they sounded great.Everything from small almost toy looking mandos to some large Russian looking baritone (I would guess)types.They sounded great I definatly would go see them again.

The guy on the far left is my friend Bob with his Lloyd Loar.

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/22768_298625234987_298505354987_4767699_6775404_n.jpg

Yea, that was nice. They are coming to my area Spring/Summer. I have an 1879 Stevens Favorite. Don't expect it is anything special. But it has been in the family since it was brand new. I sent in for the admission ticket lottery, but scoring those odds are very poor; only 400 to be allowed.

HG

Just today I saw a cat with a "McSomething" acoustic with the raised fingerboard like this mando has. I thought it was some new construction technique to let the face vibrate better, But I see Loyd was doing it back in the day.

definitely worth two in the bush...

Archived