Gibson Brands Forums

Sunburst finish

brannon67

I vote for Gibson in general, BUT

When Jorma decided to go to Martin for his Sig,me being a burst guy & a Jorma guy, I had to Custom order one in a burst.

I was very paranoid ordering sight unseen, not being a fan of any Martin burst I had ever seen.

thats lovely , now who's jorma??

I was very pleasantly surprised - the burst on my Martin M30 ranks with any other burst I have owned:

Martin M30 Jorma Burst

I haven't been able to grab a pic that deomonstrates the subtlety of the burst gradation, but believe me, it is a spectacularly classy burst!

640JormaM30FullTopCrop.jpg

640JormaM30Top.JPG

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I vote for Gibson in general, BUT

When Jorma decided to go to Martin for his Sig,me being a burst guy & a Jorma guy, I had to Custom order one in a burst.

I was very paranoid ordering sight unseen, not being a fan of any Martin burst I had ever seen.

I was very pleasantly surprised - the burst on my Martin M30 ranks with any other burst I have owned:

Martin M30 Jorma Burst

I haven't been able to grab a pic that deomonstrates the subtlety of the burst gradation, but believe me, it is a spectacularly classy burst!

640JormaM30FullTopCrop.jpg

640JormaM30Top.JPG

Mmmmmm, that might be Jorma Kaukonen we're talkin' about here. One of the best fingerpickers ever. Started his big-time career in a little band called the Jefferson Airplane.

Google it.

I'm not a fan of the Martin sunburst (or, as Martin calls it, shadetop). The Gibson 'burst is meant to mimic the look of a warn instrument, hence the lighter section in the center only. Martin's 'burst is simply a sprayed border.

What I really like are Gibson's pre-1934 'bursts, when the company's workers applied a hand-stained finish. Those that have been sprayed on since sometime in 1934, to my eyes, lack the suble beauty. Here's my 1928 L-1:

2222775210033810361S600x600Q85.jpg

I'm not a fan of the Martin sunburst (or, as Martin calls it, shadetop). The Gibson 'burst is meant to mimic the look of a warn instrument, hence the lighter section in the center only. Martin's 'burst is simply a sprayed border.

What I really like are Gibson's pre-1934 'bursts, when the company's workers applied a hand-stained finish. Those that have been sprayed on since sometime in 1934, to my eyes, lack the suble beauty. Here's my 1928 L-1:

2222775210033810361S600x600Q85.jpg

JT, that's another lovely one. Is that bridge original? How well does it intonate with that virtually straight saddle?

Martin bursts don't do anything for me. I vote for Gibson - hands down.

I agree! Martins have never done anything for me....With the possible exception of a buddy's 1976 D-35, that has some 'monster' bass-tone and a [thumbup] thick neck. In the sunburst department.....Gibson RULES ! [thumbup]

Mmmmmm, that might be Jorma Kaukonen we're talkin' about here. One of the best fingerpickers ever. Started his big-time career in a little band called the Jefferson Airplane.

Google it.

I am dissapointed that Jorma has defected to the "Marty" camp. I guess he is in great company though with Steve Earle?

I am sure that there are some MY-TEE FINE sounding Martins. Aesthetically and visually,however....my heart and soul are drawn to Gibson guitars. Thats all I can say about that... [cool]

Gibson

I like how the light component, in general, begins at the sound hole and occupies the majority of the bridge area like a spot light shining on it. The top on the neck side of the sound hole remains dark - very classy looking. Like this:

IMG_0103.jpg

Martins look stenciled and somewhat rectangular with a lot of light color on the neck side of the sound hole.

Much prefer Gibson but then again, I sold my Martin for a the J 45 and am still in the early romance love phase.

i agree. it also seems like the exception that a Martin burst is equal around the edge of the guitar. They always seem to be a little off. That one in your pic (bluesking) shows it real well, on the left it's close to the bridge, on the right it's further off.

it's like the contrast level of the Norlin bursts almost, like a crooked Norlin [flapper]

Archived