Gibson Brands Forums

Clapton on playing Robert Johnson solo.

pippy

In the process of replying to RS1976's thread on the loss of his KIA I was surprised to discover that EC had recorded some of his sessions for his 'Me and Mr. Johnson' album in a room in 508 Park Avenue, Dallas, Tx - the very building where Johnson recorded his cuts for ARC's H.C.Speir in '36 and '37.

Partly my surprise was because I've had the album for several years and I've never had any inkling of this link to '508'. I've just dug out the CD and there is no mention of '508' anywhere in the sleeve-notes. I suspect the album was actually recorded in a 'proper' studio (it doesn't say) and the sessions in '508' were, in effect, rehearsals. Pity, because the track appended here is (IMHO) better than anything which made the final disc and 'Stones in My Passway' is notable by it's absence.

For anyone who is interested in trying to emulate the 'Johnson' style this clip is fascinating in it's entireity.

For those who would prefer to 'cut to the chase' the guitar comes in at the 3:06 mark.

Enjoy!

P.

I have that PBS special on my DVR so I can watch it over and over......

I envy you!

I've been trying to watch some of the other sessions and, due to "copyright restrictions", I'm unable to view them.

[cursing]

LOL!

P.

I envy you!

I've been trying to watch some of the other sessions and, due to "copyright restrictions", I'm unable to view them.

[cursing]

LOL!

P.

If I knew how to transfer it to a zip drive or thumb drive, I'd sent it to you! (or you could drop by and we'd watch it together!)

If I knew how to transfer it to a zip drive or thumb drive, I'd sent it to you! (or you could drop by and we'd watch it together!)

That's a mighty tempting offer, Rob, but I've just googled it and there's a drive of approximatey 5,370 miles separating us; not to mention that ruddy great puddle known as the Atlantic to splash through!

Ah well. Perhaps it'll be screened here sometime. Hope Springs Eternal!

P.

You can order that Me & Mr. Johnson "Sessions" DVD from Amazon.com. Or, probably, any other

good on-line retailer. I've had it, since it came out. [thumbup]

CB

Thank you, Charlie. It has been done. I have a feeling you and me have been listening to Clapton since he first appeared. I enjoy his maturity and I am content knowing he has it in his fingers to this day whenever he decides to let a bit out, be it acoustic or electric. And, same to his choice of instrument manufacturer and/or builder. He has become content. Such is something I envy.

HG

I think his "Unplugged" album/concert is some of the best Clapton stuff out there!

That version of Layla, to me, is the definitive one. The album version with derek and the dominos is such cocaine fueled excess. It sounds like six guitars all playing different songs. Growing up I could not change the radio station fast enough when that song came on.

Thank you, Charlie. It has been done. I have a feeling you and me have been listening to Clapton since he first appeared. I enjoy his maturity and I am content knowing he has it in his fingers to this day whenever he decides to let a bit out, be it acoustic or electric. And, same to his choice of instrument manufacturer and/or builder. He has become content. Such is something I envy.

HG

Yes, absolutely...since his days with The Yardbirds! [biggrin]

And, I don't know if he's more "content(?)", or just more relaxed?

I think he's always been driven, to do the best he can, with the

music he loves, the most. Like any great artist, he's had his better

periods, but none of it was "bad,"...IMHO. Of course, I like his

"pop" stuff, anyway. But, I do love to see him "tear it up," when

he so chooses, to do so. [thumbup][biggrin]

He may be (arguably) more "pure," when he's doing acoustic. But, I

love his electric work, as well...with his Gibson, or Fender.

CB

Yes, I like it when he reminds us all he can still play the electric guitar in any mode he is in the mood to do so. He just spaces such displays now days and yields center stage much more. That is my meaning about his being "content" with who and where he is as a muscian.

HG

Archived