Gibson Brands Forums

Steinberger ST-2FPA techs?

WhaleRider

Hello,

I'm brand new to guitar playing so please excuse me if I use incorrect terms here but I was wondering if anyone knows a good place (ie. technician) in Nashville, TN area to have my new Steinberger ST-2FPA looked at? I have a slight buzzing sound on the D string but otherwise I love this guitar so I don't want to return it until someone has looked at it first. I think the "bridge" (?) needs to be raised. I googled the problem and that's what comes up most often, but I'm pretty clueless and open to suggestions.. I bought the Steinberger from musiciansfriend 2 weeks ago.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

PS. As far as registering on this forum - it took several days for the "validation email" to finally arrive. :(

I checked my spam box every day just in case. Also, no responses to the emails I sent via the "Talk2Us" link, is that pretty common?

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

I'm brand new to guitar playing so please excuse me if I use incorrect terms here but I was wondering if anyone knows a good place (ie. technician) in Nashville, TN area to have my new Steinberger ST-2FPA looked at? I have a slight buzzing sound on the D string but otherwise I love this guitar so I don't want to return it until someone has looked at it first. I think the "bridge" (?) needs to be raised. I googled the problem and that's what comes up most often, but I'm pretty clueless and open to suggestions.. I bought the Steinberger from musiciansfriend 2 weeks ago.

PS. As far as registering on this forum - it took several days for the "validation email" to finally arrive. :(

I checked my spam box every day just in case. Also, no responses to the emails I sent via the "Talk2Us" link, is that pretty common?

I finally can log in but not a single reply? Wow...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I'm new here myself. Also just recently got a ST-2FPA, also from MF. It's like we're dopplegangers! Anyways, the stein took a couple weeks of getting used to, but now I'm really starting to like it!

Haven't tried it, but the manual does give steps for adjusting the bridge height. There is a screw on the 6th string side of the bridge that must be loosened first, then the 3 screws on the top adjust both the tilt and the height of the bridge.

The manual also gives steps regarding truss rod adjustment, but is explicit about cautioning anyone without experience in messing with it.

Just remember there can be different, or more than one, causes of buzzing. Even simple things like tuning up/down, or changing string gauge, could upset a perfectly set up guitar.

Let me top this off with saying I am not a guitar tech, I just putz around with my own guitars. Good luck with yours.

Hello,

I'm brand new to guitar playing so please excuse me if I use incorrect terms here but I was wondering if anyone knows a good place (ie. technician) in Nashville, TN area to have my new Steinberger ST-2FPA looked at? I have a slight buzzing sound on the D string but otherwise I love this guitar so I don't want to return it until someone has looked at it first. I think the "bridge" (?) needs to be raised. I

Howdy from another Transcale owner and luthier (www.kozelguitars.com)

First check your neck relief. That's how much "bend" is in the neck. Put your capo on the first fret. Now hold down each string, one after the other at about the 14th fret using your right hand. While you're fretting the string at the 14th fret, with your other hand press the string down on TOP of the 5th or 7th fret. Take a look at the clearance at the 5th or 7th fret. There should be just enough "relief' to slide a thin business card between the string and the fret. If it's too low, you'll get string buzzing as soon as you hit the strings hard. If it's too high, the guitar becomes harder to play the further you go up the neck. Relief is adjusted by tightening or loosening the truss rod.

ALWAYS check neck relief before looking to adjust the saddle height.

Now check the saddle height by checking string action at the 12th fret. Using a good metal ruler, acceptable string height at the 12th fret high E is around 2/32" to 3/32" from the top of the fret to the bottom of the string. The low E at the 12th fret should be somewhere around 3/32" to 4/32". Depending on your playing style and string gauge, you might adjust a bit higher. If it's just ONE string, I might replace the string if everything else checks out OK.

Jim

• 1 month later...

Hi, I'm new here myself. Also just recently got a ST-2FPA, also from MF. It's like we're dopplegangers! Anyways, the stein took a couple weeks of getting used to, but now I'm really starting to like it!

Haven't tried it, but the manual does give steps for adjusting the bridge height. There is a screw on the 6th string side of the bridge that must be loosened first, then the 3 screws on the top adjust both the tilt and the height of the bridge.

The manual also gives steps regarding truss rod adjustment, but is explicit about cautioning anyone without experience in messing with it.

Just remember there can be different, or more than one, causes of buzzing. Even simple things like tuning up/down, or changing string gauge, could upset a perfectly set up guitar.

Let me top this off with saying I am not a guitar tech, I just putz around with my own guitars. Good luck with yours.

Sorry about the late reply, didn't get a notification even though I subscribed to it?

Oh well, yeah, I'm liking it too, still getting used to it. I'm new to guitar playing and I am slow but I love playing and I love this guitar.

As far as buzzing - I had to replace my previous Steinberger guitar with a new one (broke the toggle switch) and now there's no buzzing at all. I must say musiciansfriend were awesome with the replacement policy - Two and a half days after my call I had a new guitar in my hand!!! :)

I wish there were more string choices for this guitar, I know that I can use regular strings but lots of people are having trouble with them slipping so I use standard double-ball strings only. Also, I wish I could find a graphite or any form fitting (aka small) hard case for this guitar - so far no luck and I've called and emailed more than 10 manufacturers. I travel for a living so a hard case that's as small as possible would be my dream...

Howdy from another Transcale owner and luthier (www.kozelguitars.com)

First check your neck relief. That's how much "bend" is in the neck. Put your capo on the first fret. Now hold down each string, one after the other at about the 14th fret using your right hand. While you're fretting the string at the 14th fret, with your other hand press the string down on TOP of the 5th or 7th fret. Take a look at the clearance at the 5th or 7th fret. There should be just enough "relief' to slide a thin business card between the string and the fret. If it's too low, you'll get string buzzing as soon as you hit the strings hard. If it's too high, the guitar becomes harder to play the further you go up the neck. Relief is adjusted by tightening or loosening the truss rod.

ALWAYS check neck relief before looking to adjust the saddle height.

Now check the saddle height by checking string action at the 12th fret. Using a good metal ruler, acceptable string height at the 12th fret high E is around 2/32" to 3/32" from the top of the fret to the bottom of the string. The low E at the 12th fret should be somewhere around 3/32" to 4/32". Depending on your playing style and string gauge, you might adjust a bit higher. If it's just ONE string, I might replace the string if everything else checks out OK.

Jim

Jim, sorry about the late response and thank you for your excellent explanation. Do you perform routine checkups, repairs, etc. on Steinberger guitars? I will check out your website in a minute but I'd love to have someone who actually plays a Steinberger fix it for me when needed.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry about the late reply, didn't get a notification even though I subscribed to it?

Oh well, yeah, I'm liking it too, still getting used to it. I'm new to guitar playing and I am slow but I love playing and I love this guitar.

As far as buzzing - I had to replace my previous Steinberger guitar with a new one (broke the toggle switch) and now there's no buzzing at all. I must say musiciansfriend were awesome with the replacement policy - Two and a half days after my call I had a new guitar in my hand!!! :)

I wish there were more string choices for this guitar, I know that I can use regular strings but lots of people are having trouble with them slipping so I use standard double-ball strings only. Also, I wish I could find a graphite or any form fitting (aka small) hard case for this guitar - so far no luck and I've called and emailed more than 10 manufacturers. I travel for a living so a hard case that's as small as possible would be my dream...

Hey Whalerider, you still around? I just did a quick search and noticed that music123 has a transcale case on ebay, they probably have them at their website also, and I suspect their 'sister' company musicians friend would have them also. The one on ebay was about $60:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Steinberger-Synapse-and-TranScale-Hardshell-Guitar-Case-/190666127331?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item2c649637e3

Hey Whalerider, you still around? I just did a quick search and noticed that music123 has a transcale case on ebay, they probably have them at their website also, and I suspect their 'sister' company musicians friend would have them also. The one on ebay was about $60:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Steinberger-Synapse-and-TranScale-Hardshell-Guitar-Case-/190666127331?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item2c649637e3

Yes, I'm still here. Slow reply from me again, I have lots of problems with this forum. I don't get notifications when new posts are made (signed up for them AND I check my spam filter daily). Also, I keep having to reset my password even though I know what it is? The password reset feature on iPhone is a nightmare, whoever is in charge of the captcha (sp?) feature should be water boarded and then executed. You need magnifying glass to figure out wtf the letters and numbers are and even then I'm not sure. When you finally succeed and a confirmation email is sent to you there's a link you have to click on and, you guessed it, another captcha riddle appears. Yes, torture and execution is in order for whoever came up with that f@&$ing feature. I understand trying to prevent spam but I also understand a user-unfriendly setup. I've used that feature on many other forums, this one has ultra-difficult captcha letters/numbers/dots/commas/hyphens/spaces, etc. Ok, I feel better now.

I appreciate the reply but I'm looking for a custom guitar hard case, need it to be form fitting so I can save on space, every inch counts. Something like this but for my guitar:

http://ottovowinkel.com/files/2011/02/OttoOctober09_008-def.jpg

Found a place in Thailand but they only make acoustic guitar cases... :-( Still looking.

As far as my ST-2FPA guitar, I still like it very much BUT I'm thinking about selling it and buying the SS-2F model instead. The baritone guitar is probably a better guitar but I struggle with the high action of the strings when I take the capo off (which basically equates to tuning it down a full step - goes from EADGBE tuning to DGCFAD simply by removing the capo, but you know that already) I've taken it to a techie who said that if I lower the action anymore I'll end up with strung buzz.

Yet, as a newbie I struggle with the string action in that, no-capo position. So I'm thinking about downgrading to the SS-2F model. What are your perception so far?

So I might replace my current guitar:

http://static.musiciansfriend.com/derivates/6/001/299/079/DV019_Jpg_Regular_519146.012_tp_blue.jpg

With the slighly smaller, non-capo version:

http://static.musiciansfriend.com/derivates/19/001/299/059/DV020_Jpg_Jumbo_519144.012_trans_blue.jpg

Not quite sure yet...

Archived