Gibson Brands Forums

Blues Guitar

If you don't know already, learn at least 3 shapes for the Dom 7th chord and the major chord too.

Then learn to play the 12-bar blues sequence using all major then all dom 7th chords in at least keys E, A, D, G, C. You will need to know the B7 chord to play the sequence in key E, and you will need to know the F chord to play it in key C.

There is some basic theory to be learned but you don't have to bother at this stage, although ultimately it would be better if you do.

Learn the standard 2-fingers per string minor pentatonic scale pattern.

The blues scale is this with one extra note.

You should be able to find charts/diagrams for all of the above quite easily on the net, also see other posts/topics for more on where/how and who.

Once you have a basic handle on some or all of that, listen to your favourite blues guitarist, figure out what the root chord is of the key he's playing in, and try and cop a few simple licks using that minor pentatonic scale.

There is plenty to look at on uTube.

If you want to get a bit more complicated, play in the key of A.

Example 12-bar; chords are a bar each.

A A A A /D D A A /E7 D A E7/ start again. This is called a I, IV, V (one, four, five) sequence.

Over this, play the 2-fingers-per-string minor pentatonic pattern with your 1st finger tip covering the 5th fret note(s). Don't 'barre' across all the strings like you would the chord. Try bending the G string note at the 7th fret (use 3rd finger backed up with 2nd) and coming off that to the note at the 5th fret which will be under your 1st finger.

Then drop the whole pattern down so your 1st finger is on the 2nd fret and repeat what you just did over the exact same chords. You are still playing in the same key but now the scale pattern under your fingers gives you notes of A major pentatonic. Never mind why for now, just concentrate on getting something that sounds ok.

If you know all this already I apologise for patronising you. But I'm guessing from your question that you don't. I'm also guessing that what you respond to most when you hear a blues player you like is the attack, tone and phrasing. The phrasing is the important bit for now. It has to be simple to be effective. Ideally you need to copy licks so you have them in your head and could hum them.

Best wishes!

Classic simple blues/rock lick for an E major or E7 chord. This has many variations.

Play open G string and hammer-on to 1st fret note (G#)with 1st finger. Then play 2nd fret note (A) on same string.

Do it again but this time end with the 2nd fret note (E) on the D string instead.

2 groups of 3 notes. Make the hammer-on note last a bit longer than the others.

Variation; do the hammer-on. Then play the open B string, then the open high E string, then the 3rd fret note (D) on the B string.

If you've not done this before, it takes about a week to get it smooth and flowing and sounding ok.

Again if you do know this stuff already, please excuse me.

Best wishes!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I would like to start learning some blues guitar, but have no idea of going about it. I don't have time to go to an actual lesson. Any ideas on where to start?

oh, such a beautiful question :)

all right, the blues is your soul!

to play the blues, u don't really need some particular abilities, u don't have to know particular scales...

You've only to play what you feel inside.

Just play your emotions...this is the key to play the real blues.

For example, Hendrix didn't known anything about theory, scales ecc...He just played his emotions!!

Blues is something like an improvisation, with the blues u can speak with your guitar.

There isn't a manual to play well the blues, you just have to listen to your soul!

Peace bro!

• 3 months later...

If you're interested in country blues then I'd suggest you check out the DVDs on Happy Traum's site - Homespun Tapes.

I was going to recommend this too!! [thumbup]

Hot Licks also has a ton a great videos with lessons from great blues players(Buddy Guy, Warren Haynes, Brian Setzer, Mick Taylor, etc..)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If you don't know already, learn at least 3 shapes for the Dom 7th chord and the major chord too.

Then learn to play the 12-bar blues sequence using all major then all dom 7th chords in at least keys E, A, D, G, C. You will need to know the B7 chord to play the sequence in key E, and you will need to know the F chord to play it in key C.

There is some basic theory to be learned but you don't have to bother at this stage, although ultimately it would be better if you do.

Learn the standard 2-fingers per string minor pentatonic scale pattern.

The blues scale is this with one extra note.

You should be able to find charts/diagrams for all of the above quite easily on the net, also see other posts/topics for more on where/how and who.

Once you have a basic handle on some or all of that, listen to your favourite blues guitarist, figure out what the root chord is of the key he's playing in, and try and cop a few simple licks using that minor pentatonic scale.

There is plenty to look at on uTube.

If you want to get a bit more complicated, play in the key of A.

Example 12-bar; chords are a bar each.

A A A A /D D A A /E7 D A E7/ start again. This is called a I, IV, V (one, four, five) sequence.

Over this, play the 2-fingers-per-string minor pentatonic pattern with your 1st finger tip covering the 5th fret note(s). Don't 'barre' across all the strings like you would the chord. Try bending the G string note at the 7th fret (use 3rd finger backed up with 2nd) and coming off that to the note at the 5th fret which will be under your 1st finger.

Then drop the whole pattern down so your 1st finger is on the 2nd fret and repeat what you just did over the exact same chords. You are still playing in the same key but now the scale pattern under your fingers gives you notes of A major pentatonic. Never mind why for now, just concentrate on getting something that sounds ok.

If you know all this already I apologise for patronising you. But I'm guessing from your question that you don't. I'm also guessing that what you respond to most when you hear a blues player you like is the attack, tone and phrasing. The phrasing is the important bit for now. It has to be simple to be effective. Ideally you need to copy licks so you have them in your head and could hum them.

Best wishes!

JDGM!

Thanks for all of this! I was looking to become a better blues guitarist as well, and it seems you've provided a solid foundation for all of us to start with.

Thanks again!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived