Gibson Brands Forums

SHOW'S HOW MUCH I KNOW ABOUT AMP'S

LPguitarman

I was jamming with some friends last night and we started talking about my amp. They both like it and we started looking on e-bay so maybe one of them could get one. Anyway, the description we found for two different ones was 50 Watt. I always thought my amp was 100 Watts. We looked in the back of the amp and the other guitar player said, you only have two tubes, not four, that is only a 50 Watt amp. Doesn't change how I feel, it still sounds great. I bought it back in the 70's or early 80's and I didn't know squat about anything back then and I never gave it another thought until last night.

So now I have to change my signature and stop bragging that I have a 100 watt amp, LOL [biggrin]

I was jamming with some friends last night and we started talking about my amp. They both like it and we started looking on e-bay so maybe one of them could get one. Anyway, the description we found for two different ones was 50 Watt. I always thought my amp was 100 Watts. We looked in the back of the amp and the other guitar player said, you only have two tubes, not four, that is only a 50 Watt amp. Doesn't change how I feel, it still sounds great. I bought it back in the 70's or early 80's and I didn't know squat about anything back then and I never gave it another thought until last night.

So now I have to change my signature and stop bragging that I have a 100 watt amp, LOL [biggrin]

Don't feel too bad.

My wife left a pinao plugged into my Crate V18 and left the amp on for a couple of days. When I went into the music building we have, the amp was screaming.

Thought for sure there was tube damage until I removed the back and discovered there are NO tubes. As long as I've had that amp, I thought it was a tube amp.

Felt a little stupid there for a while.

50 watts is more than powerful enough to play in any band. My lil 5150 is 120watts and I wished it was only 50...

Yeah I know... Now I don't have to worry about wearing earplugs,LOL.... except when my son blasts his 100 Watt Peavey. Yes we checked, he has 4-tubes... [biggrin]

Gotta be careful about that comment, some amps like the Egnatures and Blackstar have multi tubes and are still low watts since they have both 34's and 6L6's in them.... Oh the new technology just when you think you have it figured out. [thumbup]

Egnater Renegade 112 Features:

* Renegade Tubes: 6 x 12AX7

* 2 x 6L6

* 2 x EL34

Guess I'll have to double check, not that it matters, he's too loud anyway. He's got one of the newer Peavey combo's 2 x 12. Can't remember the exact model but it's plenty loud. [scared]

50 watts is only 3-6 decibels less loud than 100 watts. Since the human ear can generally only perceive a 3db difference in volume, the 50 watt is only barely noticeably less loud than the same amp in 100 watts. As long as clean "headroom" is not an issue, the 50 watt will serve the same purpose as the 50 watt. Either can crack plaster at will!

50 watts is only 3-6 decibels less loud than 100 watts. Since the human ear can generally only perceive a 3db difference in volume, the 50 watt is only barely noticeably less loud than the same amp in 100 watts...

Absolutely right. +1.

I hate the class 5 Marshall amps, because the volume is a distortion. If you want it distorted you have to turn the volume up

I know, right. It's like all those amps from the sixties and early seventies that those losers like Beck, Clapton, Hendrix, and Page used! #-o

Anybody pushing 50W or more in a basement should be wearing ear protection.

Don't lose your hearing in your teens, it never comes back.

I usually have the master volume around 2 and never more than 3. At 50 years young, I know all about the teen years. I have since learned to control my volume, now if I can just get my sons' to do the same.

Archived