Gibson Brands Forums

Different flavored boxes

struma6

I was just contemplating my guitars in the context of the playing situations I find myself in.

When I play out it's usually solo so the guitar I use is what I choose based on my style and preference for the day.

I often, very often, get together with 5-8 other folks (not all playing guitar, usually 3-4 guitars though). At those times I generally opt for my CJ165EC. My main reasoning is that 90%, or so it seems, of the guitar players I end up playing with are playing a dread or jumbo style guitar. My Little Marla 165 has a totally different voice than the dreads and jumps out of the mix nicely, giving it an added dimension. 4 dreads all pounding out the same chords gets me BORED quickly.

I'll choose my guitar based on what else is going to be in the mix. I also, generally, capo up or play other-than-first position chords. Anything to widen the aural spectrum. I don't play highly technical guitar, I'm just an old school gonzo/folk/Texas country chord pounder so I use a number of tricks to make the sound more interesting.

Anybody here have any "tricks" when they play in a group of guitars?

Marla in question:

IMG_20111010_173744.jpg

If you're playing with strummers who play first-position chords, just play up the neck with barre chords, even just arpeggiating the chords. It can make you sound a lot better than you are (thus speaks the voice of experience), and you stand out from the others.

Archived