Gibson Brands Forums

Midtown 33?

brazil66

I'm thinkin of getting a 335 type unit. I like the Midtown Custom price. Is the Midtown Custom a 335? The body seems a little different (cutaways). And I'm wondering where these are made.

Thank you!

Michael

Totally different specs on the mid town compared to the 335. Just look at each one on the gibson website and compare them, but totally different guitar.

Midtown is a chambered mahoghany body with a solid flat maple top.Not quite as big as a 335 .I have both a midtown and a 335.Midtown isnt quite as airy as a 335 .More spank .Closer to a les paul ,but you can get some nice 335ish tones for sure.I think the Midtown is a killer guitar.

I'm thinkin of getting a 335 type unit. I like the Midtown Custom price. Is the Midtown Custom a 335? The body seems a little different (cutaways). And I'm wondering where these are made.

Thank you!

Michael

Hello Micheal,

I don't have a Midtown but I do have 3 Custom Shop semi-hollows, a Larry Carlton ES335, a CS336 and a Johnny A. Here they are

DSC05956.jpg

It looks like the Midtown is a less expensive version of the 336. I've had the opportunity to compare the 335 and 336 extensively. All in all the 335 is a fantastic guitar. I was longing for one for 30 years. When I finally got one I was very happy with it. I also have Les Paul's and Strats and the 335 plays the fastest and has great tone. That said, the body is too big and heavy for me to play all night with. The 336 has a much smaller body, about the same size as a Les Paul and is much more comfortable. I can play it all night long. I usually play them through a Mesa Boogie Tube amp with no effects and totally they are extremely similar. So I don't think you need to worry about tone as much as the body size. Good luck in your quest.

Archived