Gibson Brands Forums

ATTN GIBSON (or somebody that may have one) In Desperate Need of Strap Button Screw

companydamned

I've got a 2010 Custom shop 54 reissue in iced tea burst and need to find an exact replacement for one of the strap button screws. On this particular guitar, the screws at both the butt-end of the guitar and near the neck were the exact same screw. One was lost while grinding the screw heads down to fit inside schaller strap lock buttons but I still have the other one for reference. It is exactly 1.5" long from the top of the head to the tip of the screw, has a phillips head with a slightly rounded top (i believe this is referred to as an "oval head"), has the non threaded countersink "shank" that runs about 1/3 of the way down the screw from the top, has a thread count of 14, and is between a #6 and #8 in diameter because it is tapered, making it more like a #6 at the tip and around a #8 toward the head. I can e-mail a pic to match up if somebody thinks they might have one.. If someone can help me out it would really make my day, as I've searched EVERYWHERE for a match without luck, and dont want to stick just any old screw in there for fear of stripping the threads or something. I will gladly pay whatever it is you think would make it worth your while to ship me one. Cheers!

Why would he PM you? [lol]

The hardware store was the first place I checked, as that was the obvious solution. I'm in Canada, and could not find a match for this at all 4 hardware stores near me due to wood screws being slightly different here (robertson head, different thread count, etc.) I don't want to use just any screw either, due to fear of stripping the threads, and would rather not mess with filling the hole on a $3500 guitar if I dont have to. I want to be able to keep the holes and threads how they came and be able to switch back to the stock buttons/screws whenever I want.

I sent Axe a PM on another forum because he replied that he had a spare set. Not sure why he replied with that response if he wasn't planning on parting with them and I thought a PM was a good method for discussing it rather than publicly on the thread. If I did something inappropriate then I apologize, but I'm not really seeing anything wrong with this process.

I treat everyone on these forums with the utmost respect and think that this is a completely ligitimate question. Replying like I'm some kind of pain in the *** and implying that I'm somehow stupid for not just going to the hardware store without even knowing if I've tried that yet seems out of line to me, but whatever floats your boat...

I'm in Canada, and could not find a match for this at all 4 hardware stores near me due to wood screws being slightly different here (robertson head, different thread count, etc.) I don't want to use just any screw either, due to fear of stripping the threads, and would rather not mess with filling the hole on a $3500 guitar if I dont have to. I want to be able to keep the holes and threads how they came and be able to switch back to the stock buttons/screws whenever I want.

I treat everyone on these forums with the utmost respect and think that this is a completely ligitimate question. Replying like I'm some kind of pain in the *** and implying that I'm somehow stupid for not just going to the hardware store without even knowing if I've tried that yet seems out of line to me, but whatever floats your boat...

[confused] What part of Canada do you live in? I live in Canada, too, and in the boonies too, I might add. What I have highlighted in bold type is bull twaddle! They have all sorts of standard screws here that will do the job. But surely your local music store can help you out? There is really nothing to strip or damage here.

If you come to the Forum for help, it seems to me you have to expect a certain amount of "pushback" if it doesn't seem as though you are approaching this with some common sense. If I want to install Schaller straplocks on my guitar, I know from experience I'll have to use the supplied screws or the heads will not fit into the lug properly. I use a matchstick and a drop of Titbond, and i'm in business. As has been suggested here...

This is not rocket science, and these guitars are not tin gods that will fall to pieces if you tinker with them a bit. I think that is why you may not be getting the urgently-needed advice you might have been expecting.

My $0.02/YMMV

B)

J/W

54 Reissue? in Burst? Nickel Screw? The only thing that would come to mind would be a Gold Top..

all 54 Les Paul Customs had Gold.. ,,

Long and Mc Quade ,, ask the set up guy.. he should have some.. or you said Axe .. if its in Calgary.. Mozzel would have those.. Edmonton.. Avenue.. Brian would have those..

54 Reissue? in Burst? Nickel Screw? The only thing that would come to mind would be a Gold Top..

all 54 Les Paul Customs had Gold.. ,,

Long and Mc Quade ,, ask the set up guy.. he should have some.. or you said Axe .. if its in Calgary.. Mozzel would have those.. Edmonton.. Avenue.. Brian would have those..

Archived