Gibson Brands Forums

Archtop/flat top...string observation

onewilyfool

I've noticed......I can play archtop strings until they are almost rusted through, and the guitar still sounds good. When flat top strings get old, the guitar really loses a lot of sound quality. Anyone notice this on their guitars? I think it must be that archtop strings push DOWN on the top, where flat top strings pull up. I have just noticed with respect to my own guitars.....I know a lot of you old timers leave your strings on til they break...lol....but that's not what I'm talking about.

Actually, I'm a bigger fan of the round-hole archtop rather than the "f" hole archtops for some reason.....

I am with ya on that one Bro. I own two of 'em and in terms of sound, they are in a category all their own. My thought is they tend to combine the punch and mids of an archtop with the fatness of a flat top. Does anybody out there even make a round soundhole archtop these days?

But for the rusted string thing I have not noticed anything in the way of the archtops sounding alive longer. While I can be a bit slovenly about string changes I do tend to get rid of them before I need a tetanus shot to play. But I will give ya that I am not a fan of how new strings sound.

Does anyone have one of those Eastman Archtops? They LOOK fantastic, but I've never actually played one......

Yes...my 'proof' post above is an 'f' hole Eastman...

I also have a really nice oval hole cutaway electric archtop...also by Eastman...

V

:-({|=

I have the 17" bout, f-hole Eastman AR810ce, they actually make an 18" bout model which is sold outside the US. Don't know if it will be introduced at NAMM this week but their new slope will. Their archtops are high quality.

I have the 17" bout, f-hole Eastman AR810ce, they actually make an 18" bout model which is sold outside the US. Don't know if it will be introduced at NAMM this week but their new slope will. Their archtops are high quality.

I agree...they have a high reputation

All their archtops are hand carved and it really 'shows' soundwise

I hear their mandolins are top notch too....

V

:-({|=

Archived