Gibson Brands Forums

what amp sounds good with an epiphone les paul tradional pro?

epipy94

I recently got an epiphone les paul tradional pro for my birthday and i was excited because it was the first electric guitar i got.

At home i have a line 6 spider 1x8 amp and when i plugged it in with my guitar and i just became unhappy because i wasnt getting the sound i wanted. Now im trying to look for a new amp for my guitar. Are there any amps that go 2 and 2 with my guitar?

Depends on your budget (and obviously your style.)

Tube amps?

A Les Paul paired to a Twin Reverb is always a beautiful thing. A Marshall Haze goes amazing with a Les Paul if you are a more rock-centric feller.

Solid State?

Roland's Cube series is fantastic. Orange's Crush line is also very good, but they aren't modeling amps so I'd listen to one first to make sure it's your thing.

Hybrids?

Vox Valvetronix amps are very good modeling amps. If again you're into solid rock tones, you may also consider the Marshall Valvestate series (my personal favorite.) I think both lines have been more-or-less discontinued though, so they'd have to be second-hand.

[thumbup]

The first time I tried my Traditional Pro in a music store I bought it.I played it through a Fender Blues Jr. and it sounded just like the PAF Les Paul that Robert Fripp used on Court of the Crimson King.So if you're looking for a great tube amp the Blues Jr. does the trick.The Vox Valvetronix and the Marshall Valvestate amps are true to life hybrid amps that cost way less but function almost identical to tube amps.The Vox Pathfinder 15R is a great Solid State amp that sounds and performs very tubelike for only about $125.

My Trad Pro sounds great through the Fender Mustang set on '65 Twin Reverb and also great through my Peavey Bandit. I have an older Music Man tube amp that it sounds good through as well, however I get a very Strat like tone through the Mustang and Bandit on coil split that I don't get through the Music Man. Why not take your Git to a nearby Music store and try several different amps? [smile]

Dang...........There's a million choices.....You'll want an amp with a 12" speaker ( kinda a standard for small amps )........

It all depends on your budget.......There's some awesome and inexpensive simple 5 watt tube amps out these days.....

I'm really happy with my Jet City head and cabinet. It also comes in a combo version. It is a great value. You can get classic rock sounds, and also more modern high gain sounds.

Here is the combo version

JCA2212C

Here is the head

JCA22H

Those are both two channel amps. I have the older one channel version, which is still available for a great price

Jet City JCA20H

Archived