Gibson Brands Forums

Opinions on Knobs on my SG

SGsRock

I purchased a 2008 Gibson SG with a satin brown mahogany finish from a professional luthier. Below are the details of the guitar's current state...quoted from the seller:

"The only things on this guitar that are original/stock is the body, neck, and frets basically. It has Kluson/Tonepros tuners installed which offer very smooth tuning. I installed a Graphtech/Tusq nut. The edges of the fingerboard have been lightly rolled to play more comfortably. Frets are still practically new. It has Rio Grande pickups (Texas/ BBQ set which I would put in the category of a Burstbucker 2 & 3 or Duncan Pearly Gates) for ouput and tone. They are much clearer and articulate than the original 496r & 500t it came stock with but are still able to dirty up and get raunchy with some overdrive. The pickguard is a cream pearl from WDMusic. Lots of customers always commented on how good it looks on this guitar. It has a Tonepros locking bridge and Graphtech saddles for great tone and reduced string breakage. It has a Gotoh aluminum tailpiece and locking Tonepros studs to help resonance (and the bridge and tailpiece won't fall off when you change strings). The electronics are all top quality with 500K and 1meg CTS volume pots with treble kits so you don't lose highs when rolling volume down. It is wired with 500k push-pull tone pots so the tone is bypassed in normal mode so you get the full tone of the pickups out the jack. Pull up to engage the tone controls with Mojotone capacitors. Toggle and jack are Switchcraft. Being a demo guitar it does have some small dings and scratches around the edges but is overall in very good shape. There is a shiny spot near the neck strap button where I had a shop label fixed on it for a long time. If you were to have a shop do everything I've done to this guitar you would have about $800 in parts and labor. Only selling because I am buying some new shop equipment. Will ship in a padded Roadrunner gig bag and be very well packed. In regards to the gold band on the headstock, it is actually a touch-up from when I removed the original nut to replace with the Tusq version. Gibson glued the original in so well a small piece of the black headstock overlay chipped off on the corner next to the nut slot so I touched it up with a gold leaf pen rather than see a visible line of where I glued the chip back on. I was just to busy at the time to do the touch-up in black, wet sand, and re-clearcoat in satin nitro to try to blend it all for a minor cosmetic issue on a shop guitar."

NOW...the only thing I really want to change are the silver knobs. I'm at a crossroads b/c I think that gold would look really great with the tone of the wood and the ivory colored pickguard. But the bridge & pickups are silver. I do NOT like the look of the top hat knobs, but LOVE some of the vintage speed knobs I've seen on Les Pauls.

What do you guys think would look good on my new "baby"? I'm a girl, so I can talk about my guitar like this ;-)

post-39264-046794900 1326597541_thumb.jpg

post-39264-036605600 1326597558_thumb.jpg

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah i personally hate metal dome knobs. The cream knobs'd be awesome.... if they're similar in color to the pg, otherwise it may just look 'off.' Black speed knobs would probably look too stark against a guitar that has a lot of softness ot the colors.I think you'd do alright with anything though. If you go with a completely different color like gold or amber (or even black) then it's gonna have a unique look of it's own because you intentionally mismatched the colors. I know you said you don't like tophats, but that's what i'd probably go with form personal preference as the black makes the numbers really visible asesthetically and with silver inserts could complement the rest of the hardware. That or the cream speed knobs. Maybe change the toggle switch washer to cream too.

Thank you all! I think I'll try those creme ones for sure...and I may also buy a gold set and a silver set to try out and compare. They're not expensive. Here's what I've narrowed down to I think.

I'm thankful for everyone's feedback. I've yet to see an SG with speedknobs in person, and only found 2 photos online picturing this but nothing similar to my guitar. So your feedback is appreciated!

post-39264-051020600 1326605999_thumb.jpg

post-39264-094276900 1326606009_thumb.jpg

post-39264-004386500 1326606039_thumb.jpg

If I were you I'd go original with it.

The cream colored speed knobs look nice, but I actually prefer knobs like on my LP studio and are stock on the SGs as well.

Their smaller and tapered, but not witch hat. I assume they come in cream color or are made that way. That's just what I'll do.

So do you mean the reflector knobs? Like these? (scroll down to the black with cream)

http://www.vintagecloneparts.com/products/us_list.html

I may try them out, too...I'm just not a fan of the tophat knobs, really. I think they look too "busy" and I'm afraid I'll think the same when I put these on. But I'm not against buying a bunch of different ones and seeing what I like best...of course I'd have to find a less expensive version of these to test them out before buying a nice set.

Thanks!

What's wrong with the old standby silver and black reflectors?.. My SG Special Faded came with the ugly (to me) black "witch hat" (I believe they're called) knobs, and I immediately swapped them out for the tradional SG-style silver/black reflectors. Gives it more of that traditional "SG" look, IMO..

(I also put pickup covers on..)

SGPool-Casio058PB.jpg

SG_IMG_0176pb.jpg

hey fellas, the lady said she wants speed knobs. l like top hats, chrome tops, witch hats and others but not on my guitar... to each her/his own!

OP, i photoshop'd the three knobs onto your guitar:

6703526851_ac53efb558_b.jpg

i think the cream works best. gold looks out of place, silver looks to 'cold'.

What's wrong with the old standby silver and black reflectors?.. My SG Special Faded came with the ugly (to me) black "witch hat" (I believe they're called) knobs, and I immediately swapped them out for the tradional SG-style silver/black reflectors. Gives it more of that traditional "SG" look, IMO..

(I also put pickup covers on..)

SGPool-Casio058PB.jpg

SG_IMG_0176pb.jpg

I do like them with the black pickguard...but seem to look distracting with the ivory pickguard. With black like yours, it would be no question :)

Since nobody has brought up witch hat knobs yet, here they are...........

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-4-pc-Witch-Hat-Knob-Set-Black-w-Silver-Inserts-fits-Gibson-/120795292549?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item1c1ff5e385

My SG Special & all other SG of that era had these knobs.

1971GibsonSGSpecial.jpg

Again...they look great with the black pickguard. I love my ivory pickguard on this guitar, but it has posed some issues matching knobs...hence this discussion. Either they are distracting in black, don't match the silver bridge/pickups in gold, or don't look warm enough to go with the body/pickguard in silver. lol I don't have this much trouble picking out clothes to wear!!! (probably b/c how my guitar looks to me is MUCH more important...at least I have my priorities straight, right?)

hey fellas, the lady said she wants speed knobs. l like top hats, chrome tops, witch hats and others but not on my guitar... to each her/his own!

OP, i photoshop'd the three knobs onto your guitar:

6703526851_ac53efb558_b.jpg

i think the cream works best. gold looks out of place, silver looks to 'cold'.

THANKS so much!!!! You know, I think you're right on the silver for sure! Just what I thought...I feel this need to match the silver bridge & pickups, but it just doesn't work with the warmth of the rest of the guitar. Now on the other two, I probably need to get them here. I almost hope the cream is even more cream than that, or maybe the gold is less of a yellow gold. Photos can really mess up the true color of things. Thanks again - that really helps!

It's all personal preference. We can all give you our own opinions but at the end what makes you happy is what matters. It's your guitar. I have a reverse V and some of my friends think I've lost my mind, but it puts a little giggle on my face to play such an abomination (just the looks, it's a very nice guitar other than the odd, but very noticeable shape) sometimes.

Also, noone says you can't change your own mind after a week, a month, 6 months, a year. I'd say go look for anything and everything that looks interesting, maybe on fleabay and try them out. I have a little drawer in my parts bin full of loose knobs. And I know how important the look can be to how you feel playing it, even though lots of people insist it isn't. For example, I know speed knobs work better. They're much more effective in a performance setting and easier to operate with the edge of your hand vs having to pinch turn them like top hat or bell knobs when your hands are sweaty but my personal preference usually has me skipping them despite that. So go with what you like and if something more interestingcomes along at some point down the road, try them out. Knobs are probably the least invasive change you can make to your intrument and sometimes they change the whole visual dynamic of it (strings are jsut as easy to change but have a tendency to alter the sound and it's not the same when you leave a string off)

Last suggestion though, given the colors already on your guitar and your preference not to go with a skirted knob, have you thought about chrome barrel knobs like you already have but with a pearloid or MOP inset in the top to go with the PG?

a quick search pulled htis up:

http://www.beyondeleven.com/Q-Parts-Metal-Dome-Style-Guitar-Knob-Mother-of-P-p/QParts-Metal-Knob-Mother-Shell.htm

It's all personal preference. We can all give you our own opinions but at the end what makes you happy is what matters. It's your guitar. I have a reverse V and some of my friends think I've lost my mind, but it puts a little giggle on my face to play such an abomination (just the looks, it's a very nice guitar other than the odd, but very noticeable shape) sometimes.

Also, noone says you can't change your own mind after a week, a month, 6 months, a year. I'd say go look for anything and everything that looks interesting, maybe on fleabay and try them out. I have a little drawer in my parts bin full of loose knobs. And I know how important the look can be to how you feel playing it, even though lots of people insist it isn't. For example, I know speed knobs work better. They're much more effective in a performance setting and easier to operate with the edge of your hand vs having to pinch turn them like top hat or bell knobs when your hands are sweaty but my personal preference usually has me skipping them despite that. So go with what you like and if something more interestingcomes along at some point down the road, try them out. Knobs are probably the least invasive change you can make to your intrument and sometimes they change the whole visual dynamic of it (strings are jsut as easy to change but have a tendency to alter the sound and it's not the same when you leave a string off)

Last suggestion though, given the colors already on your guitar and your preference not to go with a skirted knob, have you thought about chrome barrel knobs like you already have but with a pearloid or MOP inset in the top to go with the PG?

a quick search pulled htis up:

http://www.beyondeleven.com/Q-Parts-Metal-Dome-Style-Guitar-Knob-Mother-of-P-p/QParts-Metal-Knob-Mother-Shell.htm

I'm going to do just that...guess I'll be starting off my guitar parts drawer sooner than later. lol I thought about those knobs with insets, but it's just something about the barrels I don't like. Looks like a part I'd put on my glass grinder for making stained glass. lol THANKS!!!

THANKS so much!!!! You know, I think you're right on the silver for sure! Just what I thought...I feel this need to match the silver bridge & pickups, but it just doesn't work with the warmth of the rest of the guitar. Now on the other two, I probably need to get them here. I almost hope the cream is even more cream than that, or maybe the gold is less of a yellow gold. Photos can really mess up the true color of things. Thanks again - that really helps!

Hmmm...and maybe I'll try some black speedknobs...maybe less is more? This photoshopped pic is really helpful :)

Elizabeth

I'm going to do just that...guess I'll be starting off my guitar parts drawer sooner than later. lol I thought about those knobs with insets, but it's just something about the barrels I don't like. Looks like a part I'd put on my glass grinder for making stained glass. lol THANKS!!!

Oh, I hear ya. I kind of hate those kind of knobs myself, but I assume everyone doesn't or they'd not be around. I have a Carvin V that I love that has those kind of knobs on it. I've been looking for set screw knobs that look like reflector knobs forever that aren't made of solid smooth shiny metal but with no luck. Eventually I'll probably just either change out the pots anyway or drill holes for set screws through a set of regular reflector knobs.

Good luck in your search.

Oh, I hear ya. I kind of hate those kind of knobs myself, but I assume everyone doesn't or they'd not be around. I have a Carvin V that I love that has those kind of knobs on it. I've been looking for set screw knobs that look like reflector knobs forever that aren't made of solid smooth shiny metal but with no luck. Eventually I'll probably just either change out the pots anyway or drill holes for set screws through a set of regular reflector knobs.

Good luck in your search.

Good luck in your search, as well! :)

I do like them with the black pickguard...but seem to look distracting with the ivory pickguard. With black like yours, it would be no question :)

OK, I see your point on the ivory pearloid pickguard.. By the way, I forgot to say Congrats on a great looking new SG Faded! Mine is also a 2008.

But yeah, I agree with you - those silver knobs have got to go! [thumbdn]

Archived