Gibson Brands Forums

Bass Amp Options

Versatile

I am joining a blues band as bassist

And am interested in exploring the various options for bass amplification

As I see it the main choices are.....

DI straight to PA with a foldback monitor

Smallish stage rig...head/cab or combo, say 100 watt or so plus DI to PA for forward throw

Med/Large stage rig similar to above, say 300-500+ watt plus DI to PA....

Grateful for advice on pros and cons of 'staying small' on stage for portability...even up to large venue size...

Many Thanks...

V

:-({|=

I think i depends on your stage volume, I would say a 100 watt combo with DI and foldback is fine (thats what I use) but we dont have a drummer (tracks) and keep our stage volume quite low.

If your drummer/guitarist is loud you might need more power.

I've played everything from pub gigs, thru weddings to stadium gigs with this rig and no issues.

Smallish stage rig...head/cab or combo, say 100 watt or so plus DI to PA for forward throw

Let the PA do all the heavy work (mains and monitors), but the small amp will give you adjustments you can make yourself for tone, volume and monitor.

Thanks gents...

Helpful and knowledgable as usual [thumbup]

I like the idea of 'small on stage' as a tone reference and monitor...all power to the PA...

Luggability is important too...as is reasonable cost...

I am drooling on Ampeg, Fender, Laney, Marshall for around 300 of the English £'s

Also seeing the prettiest 'mini' Bassman 1x10" combo...pricey at £600...

Wary of valve bass amps/combos with the vibration factor...

Interesting to put a Jazz Fretless and upright solid Double Bass through a few.....

V

I'm an outlier and a crank, but here's what I do. I use vintage Acoustic solid state because I like the sound. I control the sound, not the board. No DI. They are big, heavy and awkward, but they sound great, put out more than enough sound, and have a visual presence which is kinda fun, too. Occasionally, I'll get comments from another vintage person who hasn't seen one for a while, but remembers what they are and how good they sound. Their overall sound rating isn't huge, but they move a massive amount of air, and that's all that really matters. The amp in my avatar picture is a 1968 version. It works very well and sounds great. It doesn't look quite as good up close, but neither do I.

I swear by an old ampeg b50r rocket bass combo. I like it more than any other amp I have owned. Easy to carry, sounds fine and it's always been loud enough (anytime I need to be louder, I DI into the house).

I have a stupid rule I made for myself, which says, if I can't carry all my gear down to the car in one trip, I have too much crap. My pedalboard is a briefcase, and sometimes I have a backpack with extra cables and mics and junk for the rest of the band.

I had a very nice Laney 50w 1x15" combo a while back....sold it on and just kept a small practice combo

The Hartke looks great...with a propensity for aluminium cones, which would cut through well

The Ampegs look like real VFM and some big name users

I like the idea of 'one trip' loading and setting up.....

V

I'm an outlier and a crank, but here's what I do. I use vintage Acoustic solid state because I like the sound. I control the sound, not the board. No DI. They are big, heavy and awkward, but they sound great, put out more than enough sound, and have a visual presence which is kinda fun, too. Occasionally, I'll get comments from another vintage person who hasn't seen one for a while, but remembers what they are and how good they sound. Their overall sound rating isn't huge, but they move a massive amount of air, and that's all that really matters. The amp in my avatar picture is a 1968 version. It works very well and sounds great. It doesn't look quite as good up close, but neither do I.

Yes I was interested to hear how many players relied on their backline sound.....

V

In my band we use strictly backline for sound. We're a 5 piece band with 4 singers up front. The singer's control the PA and we achieve a balance as best we can. It's not always perfect (depending on the venue) but we've gotten pretty good at it over the years. I use an Aguilar GS212 with a variety of amps and it gives me more than enough in volume and tone. Bigger than I need for most clubs, but enough to handle the outdoor work during the summer, of which we get a good number. Thankfully, still manageable for me at 70 lbs.

Of course, any gig that provides a sound man/system is always welcome! [thumbup]

I would never rely on monitors for your onstage sound. Most PA's I've ever gigged through have monitors set up to handle vocals - not low ended instruments like bass, druns, or even keys. Plus, if the monitor amp goes down - you're screwed. Always use an onstage amp. What you use will depend on what kind of sound your after, and what you are willing to haul. For blues, a 100 Watt amp into a 15" speaker should work fine. If you are just starting out - don't get hung up on things like brand name and tube/solid state. I also wouldn't run just Bass - to DI box - to board. Soundmen like that set up, but it takes away the sound that you like.

I personally own several Ampeg rigs, and use everything from a micd up vintage '63 B15, to multiple SVT-3 Pros pushing multiple 2x15 cabs using the 3-Pros DI out to the FOH. One of my favorite sounding Ampegs of all time is the simple 100 watt B-100R Rocket Bass amp. It's been discontinued, but the Ampeg BA115 does just as good of a job. It also has a 4 ohm driver, so you're getting the full 100 watts - and they are a loud 100 watts. That amp doesn't get a lot of respect, but I actually like it better than the new Ampeg PF500/PF115 Portaflexes.

• 2 months later...

There are a bunch of great bass amp brands out there. Eden's Nemesis bass amps would be worth a test drive. The vintage Acoustic bass amps are totally amazing, if you are ever lucky enough to find a used one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I use a Carvin Micro MB10 when going through the PA. It only weighs 23 lbs and has a full paramemtric EQ and built in compression. It has a DI balanced line out or a direct line out.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived