Gibson Brands Forums

1929-1932 L00 repair

Samm

I've got a Gibson L-00 that I inherited from my grandfather. He purchased it between 1929 and 1932 for a little under 30 dollars I believe. Anyway, I've taken it in to 2 different places to have a neck reset done on it. I've been assured that the neck itself is not bent, so that is not a problem that I'm worried about. I simply have not found anyone who knows how to do the repair, as the people that I have had work on it were afraid of damaging the guitar. Its a beautiful guitar that has been played for the whole of its 80 years. Its got a few scratches and dings through its life but its sound is absolutely beautiful and I'm sick having about an inch of action between the strings and the neck at the 12th fret.

I'm in Massachusetts. Does anyone know of anyone who would be able to help me out? If need be I may be willing to send it out. I've had it for about 7 years and its time I find a repair man who knows how to work on this beautiful guitar.

Thanks,

Sam

I've got a Gibson L-00 that I inherited from my grandfather. He purchased it between 1929 and 1932 for a little under 30 dollars I believe. Anyway, I've taken it in to 2 different places to have a neck reset done on it. I've been assured that the neck itself is not bent, so that is not a problem that I'm worried about. I simply have not found anyone who knows how to do the repair, as the people that I have had work on it were afraid of damaging the guitar. Its a beautiful guitar that has been played for the whole of its 80 years. Its got a few scratches and dings through its life but its sound is absolutely beautiful and I'm sick having about an inch of action between the strings and the neck at the 12th fret.

I'm in Massachusetts. Does anyone know of anyone who would be able to help me out? If need be I may be willing to send it out. I've had it for about 7 years and its time I find a repair man who knows how to work on this beautiful guitar.

Thanks,

Sam

Sam,

Do you know for a fact that it needs a neck re-set? Could you post some pictures, so we can get a better idea of the general condition of the guitar?

I can recommend a superb luthier just ouside of Albany, NY. Try getting in touch with Steve Kovacik skovacik@nycap.rr.com (phone 518-381-3958). www.guitar-repair.com will get you to his site. I'm a longtime L00/L0 freak and have some experience trying to keep them playable. Good luck. Dave

Thanks,

Sam

Hi Sam, good luck w/ your L00. I'd like to see you get it back to form. Please let me know if you contact the luthier I referred. My email is jedzep@gmail.com

Hi Sam, good luck w/ your L00. I'd like to see you get it back to form. Please let me know if you contact the luthier I referred. My email is jedzep@gmail.com

I was able to get ahold of him. From our phone conversation it seems as though he will be able to help me out. I still have to bring it in to be sure. Thank you very much for the recommendation!

I was able to get ahold of him. From our phone conversation it seems as though he will be able to help me out. I still have to bring it in to be sure. Thank you very much for the recommendation!

Glad to hear it. I have a major rebracing job on my '36 L0 I'm going to have him do. Just have to put away some cashish. Let me know how it goes. Send a pic to my email if it's no bother.

Archived