Gibson Brands Forums

WHAT KIND OF SPEAKERS ARE IN YOUR CABS?

gearhead

Mesa Boogie MKIV combo: Celestion G12H-80

Mesa Boogie 2x12 half open cab: Mesa Boogie (Celestion) MC90/Celestion Vintage 30

Mesa Boogie 1x12 cab: Celestion Vintage 30

Traynor YGL3: Mesa Boogie (Celestion) MC90/Celestion Vintage 30

Yeah...........I used EVs for years......I didn't know they still were in business..........They are....Hmmm.........

I prefer sealed cabs, but, EVs are great in those as well................

Actually, they've always been in business but they weren't making the 12L for many years but just started again a few years back. Not sure how they sound compared to the originals tho. (mine is an original)

Actually, they've always been in business but they weren't making the 12L for many years but just started again a few years back. Not sure how they sound compared to the originals tho. (mine is an original)

Ah................Their site says they make them in the U.S.A........So, specs should be (who really knows) quite close......16 lb magnets.......[thumbup] ....

i bought a gt75 based marshall 1x12 cab as it handles 75w and is small enough for a bedroom but i do prefer a 25w greenback. i used to have a marshall 1960a cab, which has 4 gt75 speakers, but i thought i'd try the tone of it on it's own. i use it with a vox ac4tv8, it's pretty good.

Nice comparison demo. I think it's more clear that in the low range of amps, Vox has a very clear sound than Marshall - it's (Marshall) very nasty stage performing equipment.

• 2 weeks later...

So how's those Carvin speakers? I've heard good and not so good about them.

And those EV's are bad-*ss! Have a friend that has a Carvin 100 watt combo with 2 of those and man does it sound good!

And I want to say thanks to everyone that has posted here! Gives me more to think about (not sure if that's good.....LOL) and try!

The Carvin (Eminence) 100watt British series are awesome! They handle the mega punch from my Mark IV very well. I play high gain and those speakers have a lot of headroom. That 4x12 is a beast at 400 watts @ 8ohms! I only run my 1 head and that cab around 2 or 3 and it rips over my partner's Marshalls. You have to find the 100 watt ones as those are the speakers made by Eminence. The later Carvin british were made by someone else, no longer 100watts and I believe were chinese and have read they sound like crap compared to the ones Eminence made.

I would search around for an old 4x12 and snag the speakers. I lucked out, found this cab for $150! I have been more than pleased.

cabba2203

Thanks for that reply! Sounds like you've got a pretty mean setup there!

I just picked up a Behringer GMX 1200H head, and have it on my 4x12 cab, and I'm in love again! LOL!

I liked the sound of my GMX212 combo, but this setup is awesome! It is definitely the fullest sounding amp I've ever had.

And I've had my share of everything from Fenders, to Marshall, Peavey and everything in between, and this amp/speaker/cab setup is KILLER!

I play mostly 3 piece, so my sound has to be full. Most other amps I've had were thin, no bottom end to speak of.

I have to turn the bass controls down some on this, it REALLY thumps!

GREAT for drop D!

Archived