Gibson Brands Forums

The all new 2012 Les Paul Standards

Gary Moore Tribute

Been into Dawsons today and they informed me that a press posting had just gone out for all new Standard models

But heres the big thing, it comes with another new fretboard called "Granadillo"

Apparently its a Rosewood substitute.

http://www.lmii.com/carttwo/thirdproducts.asp?NameProdHeader=Granadillo+Fingerboard

Sorry I have very little info on this but thats all I know so far...

Update: apparently its also on the 335-S

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Designer/Gibson-USA/335-S.aspx

Yeah I think this new fretboard material sounds quite promising.. am looking forward to seeing and trying one... I have a baked maple board on my Firebird and its great, very very smooth and looks the part..

I've read up a bit about Grenadillo.

It's the wood which has been used for well over a century for the making of fine woodwind instruments; notably clarinets, oboes, flutes, piccolos etc...

Although it is actually a member of the rosewood family it is very similar to true ebony and seems to be a perfect choice as a fingerboard material;

“The botanical name is Dalbergia melanoxylon, and it comes mostly from east Africa. The genus Dalbergia encompasses all rosewoods, so despite its black color, grenadilla is a true rosewood and not related to ebony."

Here's what one maker of woodwind instruments has to say about it's tonal qualities;

"(...the wood's) characteristic timbre is bright, resonant, clear, elegant and rich in overtones."

Here's a cut'n'paste from another site about the wood itself;

"Grenadilla, the wood from which woodwind instrument are largely built, belongs to the Dalbergia family. "Melanoxylon" simply refers to the kind of wood it is, which in this case is "blackwood".

Under this name the Portuguese discoverers, constantly searching for new ebony-like woods, brought the wood to the Royal court. In doing so they imported this wood, which stands next to Ebony as the darkest of woods, if not completely black. French titles such as Ebene de Mozambique, which are also applied to Ebony itself, sometimes indicate the source.

Grenadilla grows in the dry forests of southeast Africa; above all in the east African savanna grasslands, where the most important sources our found.

Grenadilla is especially treasured for the making of woodwind instruments due to its hard, smooth surface, and its strong resistance to the absorption of moisture. Portuguese musicians were themselves the first to employ it for the making of instruments."

In addition to it's fine qualities as a tonewood it seems there is no problems with using the wood for manufacture. This from the same source;

"Conservation is not a fearful problem in the case of Dalbergia Melanoxylon, since it easily seeds itself and the forest naturally regenerates itself quickly."

Henry will be pleased!

P.

+1 Nice work Pippy [thumbup]

Looks like Gibson are defiantly going in the right direct for an alternative.

On a side note according to the Q&A page Gibson say they are now sourcing "USA" Rosewood, to me this means it will cost more so is likely to be now on the £3,000+ models

Also on the cheaper models they say something about 2 veneers in opposing directions

Archived