Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
anaconda

Gibson Quality Conrtol Your turn to have a say

I think overall QC is fair to good, but not outstanding. Found a small fret marking on my latest. That's just minor compared to what others have experienced. Sometimes the decisions to use certain materials have an effect on the outcome of the guitar (fretwire, nut, etc.), so it's not entirely QC's fault. The negative effect can vary from guitar to guitar.

I think overall QC is fair to good, but not outstanding. Found a small fret marking on my latest. That's just minor compared to what others have experienced. Sometimes the decisions to use certain materials have an effect on the outcome of the guitar (fretwire, nut, etc.), so it's not entirely QC's fault. The negative effect can vary from guitar to guitar.

And/Or...even show up, later! :rolleyes:

CB

I have an '01 Classic that I bought used. There are some, very minor quality issues (roughly scraped neck/fingerboard/body binding, etc), but other than that, I've never really had any other problems with any other Gibson guitars.

I DO however have a problem with this!:

DSC01483.jpg

This is the GLPC pickguard that I ordered direct from Gibson. I've since corrected the issue myself (thank God for razorblades), but the ball was definitely dropped on this one!

I have owned several older Les Pauls, a '68 and a '74, both Customs. They are the standard by which I measure my newer Gibsons, and the only problems I have encountered are just the occasional high fret. At this time I own a 2002 LP Special with HB's and a 2010 '50's Trib Studio with P90's. The Trib has a fret problem, but both guitars were bought used, so I have no idea what treatment they had from the previous owners.

I think ANY guitar that has Gibson's reputation to live up to should have a near perfect fret board, a good factory set up, and good strings at a minimum.

They should be playable out of the factory box, period. I think this could only add to Gibson's reputation and sales.

I did not vote in the poll...I think QC is OK, but should be better. If the quality is consistently very high, Gibson WILL sell more guitars.

mark

I am smuggling to pick one of the options:

- My first Les Paul - Gibson USA Studio Worn Brown

Only quality control issue was a small section could have benefited from a little more sanding. Apart from that, Perfect

IMG_2912-1.jpg

- My second Les Paul - Gibson USA 08 Standard

Apart from some uneven frets that were picked up during the pro setup, the quality was excellent. Although I felt the frets on the high E side are cut a little short for me, I believe this is the design, not a fault

013.jpg

- And finally my current Les Paul - 2011 Custom Shop 1958 VOS

Perfect in every way

GibsonLesPaul1958VOS006.jpg

Regarding my local shop, they always have positive comments about Gibson. but as they are also trying to sell them to me, thery are not going to be negative!

In summary, I think the Custom Shop versions in the main are outstanding, Gibson USA quality is in general is very good, but there are many bad examples out there.

If you play before you buy, you cant go wrong [thumbup]

nice pics. i love the vos.

I have owned 8 Gibsons.

1. 1948 J-45 - Used, excellent condition, excellent workmanship, Excellent Sound. Status: Sold it in hard times.

2. 2010 Faded LP. Fret sprout, poor action, had it set up. neck appeared to get progressively worse. Took it back

3. 2011 Tribute studio; Excellent tone, poor set up. I spent $150 on 3 setups and fret dressing and leveling. Great guitar now.

4. 2003 Hummingbird - Flawless

5. 2010 Hummingbird - Flawless

6. 2010 ES 335 Dot - Great tone and playability, but would not intonate properly (even turning saddles backward), would not stay in tune, Replaced nut, had 3 set ups, still would not hold tune or intonate for the open chords, Returned it. BTW fit and finish excellent.

7. 2011 Midtown Custom - Fit and Finish excellent, another guitar that would not intonate to open chords or stay in tune, poor setup and a bad nut. Sounded good and played nice for about a week then gradually became harder to tune and play, lost its tone ( had 1 set up and 2 string changes) Took it back to store.

8. 2011 Gibson LP Custon Classic: Flawless.

Note: I have 3 PRS guitars, SC HB II, Korina SC, and a standard SC SE mahogany model. All flawless.

well, because I just purchased my first Gibson, I can't honestly vote, but I will say that my had some issues with fretboard divots (see my post about my first LP). And because many of you have had great experiences with flawless guitars, I felt that I deserved the same, so I'm exchanging it. I don't have enough history to really say, but I am hopeful that it was a fluke and they had a bad day inspecting my guitar, or perhaps they had a chinese exchange student inspecting it.

It's a very mixed bag. Some aspects of my 2011 335 flametop were excellent, the finish being one of them,. However the nut was sticking with the factory strings, consequently it was almost impossible to tune the G without hearing a loud 'ping' and finding it was nearer G#. Also the binding at the fingerboard heel has a lot of red stain on it, indiacting that somone forgot to mask it, or clean it off. I like the instrument, and, after a $60 set-up. it plays nicely. Howver it still leaves me with a less than delighted feeling that a $2,700 guitar had some obvious quality problems.

Frankly, thses sort of issues are not new. The word "model" in the decal on the headstock of my '72 Les Paul clearly broke while someone was applying it, and says "mo del" with a downward turn to the last three letters.

I've bought 2 Les Paul Traditionals in the last 2 years. The one I bought for son is a Desert Burst. It was set up perfectly and has a really beautiful finish. The playability and tone are great. I recently bought a traditional pro from GC after I played it. It is a lightburst with a AA top, coil splitting and Classic 57 pickups. It was perfect from the factory and the tone is just great. I am VERY happy with both of these Les Pauls and am very satisfied with all aspects of the quality control on these 2 LPs. They are beautiful, sound great and though reasonably expensive I would replace both with the same guitars if I needed to.