Gibson Brands Forums

The Les Paul Studio Tribute Humbucker Model Club

AlanH

Hello! My 50's Tribute GT is of the first run. Same "issue" - but the guitar is great in general, so it doesn't disturbs me at all. Neither that visible, nor does it harm playing. That's it, have to live with it. Cheers... Bence

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just checked mine that I'm sending back. It also has a wider neck than the fretboard. Both sides are approximately 1 mm wider than the fretboard, consistently all down the neck. It must be a specification problem in the guitar's design. That should have been specified differently in the design, or the edges of the neck should have been trimmed to be flush with the ffretboard - in my opinion. I noticed that early on but dismissed my concern, attributing it to the way the guitar was put together. I figured that they knew about it at Gibson and that they were okay with it. Now I realize that it probably should have been corrected in production or pre-production.

Thanks for pointing that out. I thought mine could have been just the only one. These forums are very good for getting information out.

I was starting to think that I was the only person having the issue with the fretboard not being flush with the neck. And my main concern with it is if something where to happen in the future because of the fretboard not being flush with the neck would it be covered under the warrenty. But my 3rd 50's Tribute also seems to have the same problem as you describe witht he strings. I actually measuered the string spacing because I wanted to amke sure it wasn't just me seeing something that wasn't there. And what I mean byseeing something that wasn't there is that I noticed the strings being off as soon as I pulled the guitar out of the gig bag. And I also measured three of my Epiphones and three other non Epiphones and none of them have this problem. So I'm sending this guitar back and getting something different. I gave it three try and all three had issues. And Gibson please fix this because if not for the isse with the fretboard this guitar would more than likely would have knocked my Epiphone: Zakk Wylde Camo Bullseye out of it's number 1 status. I still have the same feelings towards these guitars as in my first post but the fret board issue just bugs me along with the concern I have of any possible problems that might could happen just makes me uncomfortable.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys!

I'm new here and thought I'd throw my penny's worth into the mix.

I've had my Studio '50s Tribute Humbucker (Christened: Roxy) for about a month or so now and can honestly say that I haven't had any of the problems a few of you are talking about. I went over her with a fine toothed comb when she arrived, as I have with my other guitars and everything was in line without even a blemish.

The only thing that did develop after a few days of getting to know each other was the neck pickup volume knob worked loose (the plastic teeth inside stripped) maybe as a result of my being to heavy handed although I don't consider myself to be that way inclined. A quick email to Gibson with the serial No. and there was a new Volume knob and apology waiting in my mail box within a few days! Can't fault their customer service!

This has been my only dealings with Gibson direct. I bought my LP from Thomann and although they have the no questions asked returns policy, not a herd of wild horses could part me from this guitar!

I've been playing for about 7 years altogether, mainly acoustic (got a Martin 000-15) and decided a couple of years back to pick me up a "wee-leccy"! Decided no to go too overboard but wanted character so purchased a Danelectro DC59 re-issue. A lovely wee guitar and great fun to play but hard work and sometimes pretty harsh.

I tried a number of LP's in shops (trads & standards) and loved them. Spotted the '50s tribute at Thomann in satin honeyburst and fell in love with the look so took a gamble even though it wasn't as fancy. I've been more that pleasantly surprised! The sound and tone just blew me away! It feels like pure quality and withina few chords I could hear about 1000 songs that I've grown up with! That growl is un-mistakable! Sweet! But clean, she just sings out!

Don't mean to go on but I'm pretty chuffed with my guitar! I've checked the serial number and reckon it's an early 2012 (using Gibson's Serial No. decipher code thing).

Just want you guys to know that they're not all duds and by the sound of things you've just been unlucky. I've had to send a piano back to Thomann before, they delivered the new one and took away the old one for free (pretty large and heavy as you can imagine). I'd say, if you can put up with the crap, so long as Thomann have them in stock, keep replacing it coz when it's right it's bang on the money!!!

Keep it real!

Congrats, Drewster. Pics are a "must" on this thread, BTW.

Hey Alan,

Thanks for the warm welcome! Happened to chance upon the forum whilst researching the Studio '50s tribute and found it pretty interesting, sad to hear that so many people have been dissapointed with this guitar though. Not a good advertisment for Gibson I'm sure you'll agree, but as i've already said, when you get a good one, it's seriously bang on the money!

Certainly yours from the first run is pretty spectacular, really like the grain on the back and on the neck. All the new ones are dark brown, still nice, but not as nice as those first ones in my humble opinion.

Nice job starting the model club, interesting to hear about the various modifications and tweaks people have made to theirs. The only thing I was thinking of doing was putting chrome pickup covers on but I kinda like the stripped down, take no **** look. if it ain't broke, don't fix it eh?!

I'm afraid I can't post any pictures at the moment as I'm at work justnow and will be for another couple of weeks but I'll post a few upon my return!

I work at sea and am really suffering sitting here strumming a battered old Echo acoustic till I get home, Torture!

Just a wee question, seems like straplocks are a must as I've had a couple of close calls already and that lovely headstock doesn't look asthough it'll stand up to being dropped! Any suggestions?

I work at sea and am really suffering sitting here strumming a battered old Echo acoustic till I get home, Torture!

Just a wee question, seems like straplocks are a must as I've had a couple of close calls already and that lovely headstock doesn't look asthough it'll stand up to being dropped! Any suggestions?

Hi again, mate! Enjoy your "reunion" when you get back.

I only have one set of straplocks and they're on my Charvel. These ones are Jim Dunlops. However, one time, the whole circular disc came through the hole and slit in the strap so I now don't trust anything. I always have the fretting hand around the neck or in a catchable position when I play my guits. I also tend to use the plastic discs that you can buy from the music shop counters as a second bit of security but a lot of people say the rubber tops off Grolsch bottles are the best. Not sure how they are with nitro lacquer finishes though.

All the best.

Hi again, mate! Enjoy your "reunion" when you get back.

I only have one set of straplocks and they're on my Charvel. These ones are Jim Dunlops. However, one time, the whole circular disc came through the hole and slit in the strap so I now don't trust anything. I always have the fretting hand around the neck or in a catchable position when I play my guits. I also tend to use the plastic discs that you can buy from the music shop counters as a second bit of security but a lot of people say the rubber tops off Grolsch bottles are the best. Not sure how they are with nitro lacquer finishes though.

All the best.

Hey Alan,

Yeah, reckon I'll try the Grolsch bottle seal, sounds like a pretty cheap but effective solution (and slightly more rock'n'roll!) Cheers for the idea and a rather good excuse for having a "wee bevvie"! Not sure the missus will see it that way though! ha ha ha!

I'll post some pictures in a couple of weeks once I've sussed out how to do it. I'm playing through a Vox VT40+ right now, I've heard some horror stories about this amp but, once again, I seem to have been lucky with my one! No complaints thus far and a pretty sweet practice/livingroom amp once set up with the footswitch but loud enough to make it over my mates drumming! Luckily we're detatched with double glazing!

Take it easy dude!

Before I buy this guitar, I have some questions. I play mostly metal and rock. What I want, is a les paul that I can play ballad songs with. I know it has a chambered mahogany body, but does the chambered body affect the tone? How heavy is a chambered les paul? Do YOU think it's great idea to get this guitar and play metal/ballad songs with it?

Before I buy this guitar, I have some questions. I play mostly metal and rock. What I want, is a les paul that I can play ballad songs with. I know it has a chambered mahogany body, but does the chambered body affect the tone? How heavy is a chambered les paul? Do YOU think it's great idea to get this guitar and play metal/ballad songs with it?

Well Lars, I've recently been learning Children of the Damned by Iron Maiden on mine which is mostly clean arpeggios in the intro and verses with a power chord-based distorted chorus. Here's the track I mean:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7gHTgXPKY4

The 498T/490R pickup combo is great for this kind of heavy/ballad contrast and cleans sound really beautiful on the chambered Tribute HB IMO. This guitar is also pretty light too so is exceptionally comfortable to wear.

Do I think it's a great idea to get this guitar?....................

.........Do bears s**t in the woods?

Well Lars, I've recently been learning Children of the Damned by Iron Maiden on mine which is mostly clean arpeggios in the intro and verses with a power chord-based distorted chorus. Here's the track I mean:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7gHTgXPKY4

The 498T/490R pickup combo is great for this kind of heavy/ballad contrast and cleans sound really beautiful on the chambered Tribute HB IMO. This guitar is also pretty light too so is exceptionally comfortable to wear.

Do I think it's a great idea to get this guitar?....................

.........Do bears s**t in the woods?

I know that song. I was just curios about that it was good enough to play metal and sound heavy as f***

I know that song. I was just curios about that it was good enough to play metal and sound heavy as f***

Absolutely! The 498T is a hot pickup - perfect for rock and metal but it cleans up nicely too. [wink]

Nice. Btw do you have a youtube account? Then I can see and hear the guitar

Hey Lars

There are plenty of pics of this guitar on this thread to whet your apetite, including my own. I do have one youtube vid of a previously owned Epiphone (see sig below) but am not great at motivating my self to post up clips because my recording device is "hard work." However, there are quite a few vids of the tribute HB on youtube and also plenty of clips of regular LP Studios which have the same chambered body and 490R/490T pickup combo.

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Bought a Goldtop 50s Tribute last month, only complaint was the strap button which came out completely stripped at the first band practice while using it (with a Dimarzio locking "ratchet"-style strap.) Had to add my usual Dunlop Strap Locks. Otherwise I love it! It's making me miss the 60s Tribute with P-90s I used to have; might have to get one of those again too.

I recently purched a 2011 les Paul 60's tribute with chrome hum buckers. Looks and sounds unbelievable. What's it worth?

Bought a Goldtop 50s Tribute last month, only complaint was the strap button which came out completely stripped at the first band practice while using it (with a Dimarzio locking "ratchet"-style strap.) Had to add my usual Dunlop Strap Locks. Otherwise I love it! It's making me miss the 60s Tribute with P-90s I used to have; might have to get one of those again too.

Congratulations, both.

Do you have any pics to post?

• 1 year later...

Thanks for the invitation to join the club Alan! Glad to be here,this is my 2012 Les Paul Studio 50s Tribute

002-001.jpg

I used to one of the first series of LP Studio 50s Tribute's back in 2010 but I had to sell it years ago, so I was very happy to find the HB version. This is the one I used to own.

101_0531-2.jpg

Thanks for the invitation to join the club Alan! Glad to be here,this is my 2012 Les Paul Studio 50s Tribute

002-001.jpg

I used to one of the first series of LP Studio 50s Tribute's back in 2010 but I had to sell it years ago, so I was very happy to find the HB version. This is the one I used to own.

101_0531-2.jpg

Nice one Truetone. I'm GASing for a Goldtop HB Tribute myself. Yours is one of several beautiful examples on this thread. These are fantastic value guitars with great tone and playability. Poor man's R7s and R8s, I think they're the closest thing you'll get to Historic without paying an arm and a leg...

Archived