Gibson Brands Forums

Short-scale Gibsons.....pick two

Snapper Jones

If you could choose any two short-scale Gibson acoustics out of the current lineup of products offered what two would you choose? The parameters include pairing two that would be versatile in playing different styles (stumming, fingerstyle, flatpicking, etc.) and together would encompass the wide-range of different Gibson sound.

In other words, if you were just starting to collect short-scale Gibson acoustics--what two would you start with??

If you could choose any two short-scale Gibson acoustics out of the current lineup of products offered what two would you choose? The parameters include pairing two that would be versatile in playing different styles (stumming, fingerstyle, flatpicking, etc.) and together would encompass the wide-range of different Gibson sound.

In other words, if you were just starting to collect short-scale Gibson acoustics--what two would you start with??

J-45 and Hummingbird

Half a year ago I came to the conclusion that my 45 is better for me than the Bird. It was something I automatically or intuitively knew. Reality is that I play the Bird a great deal more than the slope.

In fact I'm no longer sure which guitar is closest to my, , , dare I say soul. Wouldn't wanna miss none of them, that's for sure.

Scratch47 + 1

Half a year ago I came to the conclusion that my 45 is better for me than the Bird. It was something I automatically or intuitively knew. Reality is that I play the Bird a great deal more than the slope.

In fact I'm no longer sure which guitar is closest to my, , , dare I say soul. Wouldn't wanna miss none of them, that's for sure.

Scratch47 + 1

Now if I could find and afford a Hummingbird in retired life... [confused]

I had an accident in late December and really screwed up my left arm and wrist. Undergoing physical therapy which seems to help.

Finally getting back to playing, but finding short scale may be the only way for me comfortably enjoy playing again.

I already have a Country Western which feels great, but just the other day I traded an electric towards a new Hbird (Adi and Koa) and really like the guitar.

Problem is my playing sucked before my accident and I still suck :rolleyes:

While I ain't saying these are what I would end up buying them (even assuming I had the cash) the two I would be most interested in taking for a spin would be a Jackson Browne SJ (this thing intrigues the heck out of me) and - while I don't care for the artist it is named for and gather it is a 25" scale - that Keb Mo guitar.

I already have a Country Western which feels great, but just the other day I traded an electric towards a new Hbird (Adi and Koa) and really like the guitar.

Sad to hear about your bad luck regarding the arm – Is it possible for you to post pics of the Koa Bird ?

Bet I'm not the only one curious -

Koa does not project as well as Hog or Rosewood and traditionally favors the mids.

These Koa birds (11 in this run total), while not very loud, have a nice upper end as well.

Out of the 5 I played, this one was the most articulate with one other coming very close.

They were all very nice, however the one I purchased sounded the best to my old ears.

DSC00726.jpg

Koa does not project as well as Hog or Rosewood and traditionally favors the mids.

These Koa birds (11 in this run total), while not very loud, have a nice upper end as well.

Out of the 5 I played, this one was the most articulate with one other coming very close.

They were all very nice, however the one I purchased sounded the best to my old ears.

I've seen one here and there (maybe just 1 when I think about it), but 11 isn't much. Thanks for responding -

Does it have to be 2 new guitars? I would vote a early 30s L-2 in Argentine Grey and a mid-30s Jumbo.

These are fine choices. We have both of these -- both in "player" condition. Many people who have played our guitars proclaim the L-2 as the best of its type ever -- it is indeed wonderful, but since we mostly do bluegrass, it is a bit out of our mainline. Our player '35 Jumbo has also been proclaimed "extraordinary" by the likes of Kenny Smith and Tim Stafford -- in this case I agree. It is the best bluegrass guitar I have ever touched.

1931L-2a.jpg

So I would include the Jumbo, but the second one would be our 1935 Roy Smeck Radio Grande -- now renecked and converted.

JumboRG.jpg

Let's pick,

-Tom

Archived