Gibson Brands Forums

seymour duncan 59

scmglotr

Anyone played one in a les paul or sg? If so how would you compare it to the 57 classic. My local luthier suggested them and was wondering if I could get some feedback and opinions. Thinking of putting them in my les paul studio and sg classic for a more vintage tone.

Gibson is making some VERY good pups, quality wise.

The Duncan pups are top notch in my book, but I don't find they have qualities that stand out that make them sound unique or different. What they do well is allow the guitar and amp to sound the way they should, or let any qualities the guitar or amp has be heard.

The '57 classic and the '59 Duncan are essentailly the same type of pup, designed to do the same thing. Unless there is a specific reason, like a specific sound you are after, I don't see any gain in switching from the Gibson version to the Duncan version.

I put a SD 59 in the neck position of an Epi LP I was customising and it was amazing. Thick and full of tone definately got that vintage vibe and the owner along with the singer in my band couldnt get enough of it.

I wouldnt use it in the bridge for distorted lead tones as it could tend to be a little dark to cut through the mix of a full band however a great tube amp clean and on the neck pup this rivals none in my oppinion.

57's are a great all rounder though more versatile for different uses but if i had to build a guitar to play lead to an acoustic player this would be on the top of my wanted list [thumbup]

Archived