Gibson Brands Forums

Synapse ST-2FPA TranScale

HectoRocker4

Gibson is really riding on their old reputation, and not producing quality guitars anymore. Although I was incensed that those fat-piggy jack-booted thugs from the USF&WS invaded Gibson factories carrying Glock 9mm's, the straw that broke the camel's back was when I talked to "Roger" at Gibson Cuss-tomer Service a couple of days ago about a Steinberger Synapse TranScale I'm trying out and he didn't responded as promised.

I complained that the ST-2FPA not only came with 10-46 strings (on a baritone guitar???) instead of the Baritone Light strings (as the owner's manual specifically stated) but also the strings were worn out (I could not adjust the bridge mechanism on the E2 (6th) string) back far enough to set the intonation properly. Plus, the setup sucked very badly; strings were a "mile" above the fretboard, the intonation was not set, and the rolling capo had not been adjusted. Can you guess what he said to that? That he'd never bought a guitar from a music store that was set-up! Is that laughable or what???

EVERY guitar I've ever bought has had a least a setup attempted, and when it wasn't right, they fixed it, be it Mississippi Music (thanks, Richie) or Sweetwater (thanks, Chris and Matt), but unfortunately not Amazon, where my sweet wife ordered a Transparent Blue (more like Opaque Blue) finish. I might keep it only because it makes a great travel ("smaller") guitar, which pleases Sally! I have a good mind to send it back to Amazon because this a.m. when I was warming up, the sheet-metal strap hook (by the neck) finally cut through my prized Levy Jimi Hendrix strap Sally suprised me with on Christmas! Lots of luck trying to get Gibson to correct that!

I'm rambling on about that to say this to Gibson and Sweetwater: CANCEL MY ORDER OF THE $4,000 CRIMSON RED ALEX LIFESON AXCESS LES PAUL...IMMEDIATELY, IF NOT SOONER!!!!!!!!!!! Again, gentlemen, you're input has helped me make an informed decision; I'm going for that sweet placid blue Line6 James Tyler Variax that I've wanted for a while now and priced about a third of the $4,000 mistake. Thank you, thank you, thank you....

HectoRocker4

"Rocking until I'm 100"

/

I like the battery connector wires the least...jeez...you'd think they would have added a half-inch extra on the wires so I would not have to put the battery in the compartment to connect it by using a small flat-blade screwdrive as a mini-pry-bay! Another thing: The battery only lasted 2 weeks; owner's manual says it should last a year at 8 hours/day! Must be because this guitar was manufactured in May 2008! No wonder the strings were worn-out!

Okay, that was the bad news...the good news is that I'll probably keep the ST-2FPA. It really has a whole lot going for it. The active EMGs and the piezo sound fabulous individually or together and they blend well together; noise is non-existent. The guitar itself is perfectly balanced. The phenolic fretboard is a dream to play; Tone Finger-Ease makes it shine! It's small and comparatively light, making it a dream travel guitar, even with the plush gig bag. The fold-down leg rest makes playing it while seated ultra-comfortable and it's still balanced. There's more: A zero-fret; the combo headpiece accepts double-ball or single-ball strings; better tuning stability by using 40:1 direct-drive tuners in the bridge (reminiscent of Floyd-Rose fine tuners); and a recessed tool-holder to hold the Allen hex keys!

HectoRocker4

[Rocking till I'm 100!]

WOW...my SINCEREST APOLOGIES to "Roger" in Customer Service. Today, the Postal Service delivered a factory-fresh set of Steinberger Double-Ball Baritone Standard strings!

I'm definitely keeping that Translucent-Blue Steinberger Synapse TranScale ST-2FPA! Sounding and feeling better and better all the time now, both it and I. While heavier than what the factory puts on (Baritone Light), I actually prefer the Baritone Standard strings. Not only is Roger a Super-Agent in Customer Service, he's a bit psychic as well (whether he knows or believes it, or not!). I can't wait until I put them on; I'm anxious to see how little time it takes compared to what it usually costs me in time and aggravation.

Thank you, Roger, so very much!

Archived