Gibson Brands Forums

Satin 61 SGs

thejay

Hello,

Has anyone seen any of these new guitars in person? As I mentioned earlier, my personal preference would be gloss ebony, but they don't exist. So, I'm torn between the satin ebony and the gloss heritage cherry.

So, how matte is the satin ebony compared to, say, the standard ebony? The pictures I have seen on the Gibson wen site make them look almost the same, but I know this is not the case. WOuld anyone have pictures of these two types of finish?

Thanks!

Thank you for the sharing the link, but I believe it refers to a limited edition from a few years ago. Have I looked at the wrong page?

Thanks.

Yeah since it said "image coming soon" I thought it was an upcoming release. My apologies.

I'm glad Gibson branched out with the satin finishes. It looks cool and after a few years the playability is amazing, the neck on my faded has become incredible compared to when I got first got it. Saves us money too while (in this model's case) still keeping the nicer features like the bound neck and trapezoid inlays, I just wish these were around when I was saving for my SG back in 08

Hey guys, in the specs section of the Satin 61's it says this:

Neck Species Mahogany

Profile SG Slim, Rounded

Truss Rod Traditional Adjustable

Joint Angle 5° (+/- 15 seconds)

Adhesive Franklin Titebond 50

What exactly is the neck profile? It says "SG slim, rounded"...are they avail with either a slim or rounded, or, is slim rounded a new sg neck profile? I've seen 60's slim and sg rounded in sg specs, but never this. Anyone know off hand?

Hey guys, in the specs section of the Satin 61's it says this:

Neck Species Mahogany

Profile SG Slim, Rounded

Truss Rod Traditional Adjustable

Joint Angle 5° (+/- 15 seconds)

Adhesive Franklin Titebond 50

What exactly is the neck profile? It says "SG slim, rounded"...are they avail with either a slim or rounded, or, is slim rounded a new sg neck profile? I've seen 60's slim and sg rounded in sg specs, but never this. Anyone know off hand?

Hi,

A Customer Service person has told me "The SG ’61 Satin model has a Baked Maple fingerboard, while the standard SG ’61 model has a rosewood board. The other specs are the same". So, I take it the neck profile of the Satin model is the same slim profile of the regular '61 Reissue model.

Cheers!

I get why some may dig the satin look... not my bag, but are these the same grain textured satin finishes on those $400 Melody Maker SG's? I looked at a few of those, and the finish was horrible. Every one of them had flaking nicked up finishes from average guitar shop molestation. If that is the case... seems like a lot of dough for a questionable finish.

I get why some may dig the satin look... not my bag, but are these the same grain textured satin finishes on those $400 Melody Maker SG's? I looked at a few of those, and the finish was horrible. Every one of them had flaking nicked up finishes from average guitar shop molestation. If that is the case... seems like a lot of dough for a questionable finish.

Lax Everything,

On the

, Chris Steele, Marketing Manager for Gibson USA, presents the SG '61 Reissue Satin models (along with other Gibson new releases). He says that the satin models take "a bit less coats in lacquer and we would like to pass this advantage along to our customers".

The "a bit less coats in lacquer" phrase made me worried. This is why I asked if anyone had seen them in person.

Cheers,

SGFan2

Archived