Gibson Brands Forums

Crackling Noise ES 335 ?

ldweber51

Greetings,

My ES 335 has developed a annoying crackling\static\popping sound when i run my fingers or touch the strings when playing.

If I touch my guitar cord or put pressure on it at the jack I can remove the noise.

I'm guessing I need a new jack. Or, can it be cleaned or lubricated?

Thanking you in advance, Larry...

I doubt you need a new jack, they usually don't go bad. First thing I'd try is a different guitar cable. Sounds like a grounding issue. Are you using a good quality cable. The cheap ones can cause problems. If the cable checks out ok then I'd check out the wiring inside if your qualified to do it. It's not an easy job for the inexperience person. I have an old guitar cable from the 60's that did the same thing your experiencing. Turned out it was the plug on the cable. Now I use all Mogami 2534 instrument cable, you get what you pay for.

Greetings,

My ES 335 has developed a annoying crackling\static\popping sound when i run my fingers or touch the strings when playing.

If I touch my guitar cord or put pressure on it at the jack I can remove the noise.

I'm guessing I need a new jack. Or, can it be cleaned or lubricated?

Thanking you in advance, Larry...

Is your 335 new? How long have you played it prior to the crackling/static noise?

My ES 335 has developed a annoying crackling\static\popping sound

Without knowing where you are located (because you didn't fill in the "location" blank in your profile), I'm going to take a stab at this anyway.

This problem has just shown up since it has gotten cold and dry in your area, and your house is heated by a gas-fired forced air furnace without any type of whole-house, or music room humidifier, and will go away in the spring when the climate heats up and the humidity rises.

What am I.... static build-up due to low humidity caused by cold temperatures.

Increased humidity is the cure to your problem!

Is your 335 new? How long have you played it prior to the crackling/static noise?

Thanks for your reply Vincentw. Been playing it for about 3 months. Several days after i posted this listing, my Strat was doing the same thing but not as bad.

I'm going to P\U a better quality cord tomorrow and see what resolves. Larry...

Without knowing where you are located (because you didn't fill in the "location" blank in your profile), I'm going to take a stab at this anyway.

This problem has just shown up since it has gotten cold and dry in your area, and your house is heated by a gas-fired forced air furnace without any type of whole-house, or music room humidifier, and will go away in the spring when the climate heats up and the humidity rises.

What am I.... static build-up due to low humidity caused by cold temperatures.

Increased humidity is the cure to your problem!

Hello L5Larry, I live in Minnesota and I do run a humidifier during the winter months.

This came on overnight. I'm going to pickup better quailty guitar cord, not sure which one to go with, tomorrow at my local GC. I'm hoping that will fix the problem. Thanks for your reply.

Thanks for your reply badbluesplayer,

I've been running a humidifier for several days, used a new fabric softner sheet & purchased a monster cable instrument cord & still have the crackling, popping noise when I touch the strings or any metal on the guitar.

I use a Princeton Reverb RI which appears quiet when no cable is plugged in. Add either guitar and the noise is present.

Is it possible something in the amp is causing this problem? Larry...

Does your Princeton Reverb Amp have a Ground Switch?

If it doesn't, are you plugging the amp electrical 3 prong cord into a grounded three prong receptacle?

Are you using an adapter where you plug in the 3 prong amp cord into the 3 prong adapter and then using the adapter into a two prong receptacle?

That is the only other thing I can think of that hasn't been mentioned unless I missed it.

Thanks for all the replies.

I getting some interference from somewhere. Not only do i have crackling popping sounds when I touch any metal on both guitars (strat & es335) i get a lot of hum even at lower volume settings. Move the guitar around the amp or point the front of the guitar towards the amp really increase the hum. Different pickup selections give off different levels of hum & noise. Now i'm aware of single coils for noise but now my strat & quiet humbuckers both act like they are on steroids!

I have humidified my playing area, replaced with new guitar cords, directly plugged amp to grounded wall socket, no other changes to the environment, I have to start wondering if my amp is the culprit? Princeton Reverb RI.

I'm not sure where to start troubleshooting the amp except replacing tubes.

Any ideas I can try greatly appreciated, thanking you in advance, Larry...

• 11 months later...

Have you tried a different outlet? I found this thread because I was having the same problem. Switched cords, amps, and guitars, and had the guitar and amp electronics gone over, showing no issues. Used the dryer sheet trick to try and discharge static electricity. Nothing worked until I tried a different outlet - first one was not properly grounded (new house, you wouldn't suspect this, but there you have it).

Archived