Gibson Brands Forums

A New Sheryl Crow model...?

J-1854Me

That utterly makes zero sense, as the SC model is all about the country western square shoulder design, as thats what she plays. This is just a Southern Jumbo variant and has doodlie squat with Shery Crow. Somebody in the Gibson marketing department needs to get fired.

Excuse my french but as a marketing professional one thing that really pisses me off about Gibson is how they are just branching out popular models and aiming to milk them through odd diversification like this odd example.

It doesnt do well for the brand and just confuses the consumer. Maybe Gibson should take a leaf from Martins book where they are consilidationg the D-18 line after realising they had too many SKU's available of that model.

Get you act together Gibson and focus on the core models, frustrating ...

I think the Guitars should be able to sell them selves.. Im not into haveing someone elses endorsed name on a Guitar I want to buy .. theres no added value added to those.. just at purchase time.. I pass on all of those..

thats an interesting point, and I agree in principle with that statement.

However when I bought my Aaron Lewis SJ, I didnt even know who Aaron Lewis was until I googled hime AFTER I bought the guitar. But what did attract me was that the design that was based on his 51' SJ which means very light, old school bracing. So AL was a catalyst in having this model re-issued. And if AL was the catalyst for getting this design back into the showroom thats fine with me, but my pruchase had nothing to do with Aaron Lewis.

This SJ is my favourite guitar in the stable these days, so I guess I have to thank Gibson and Aaron Lewis for making it happend, but in the end the guitar sold itself to me, as you say, hence I agree with the statement.

I think the Guitars should be able to sell them selves.. Im not into haveing someone elses endorsed name on a Guitar I want to buy .. theres no added value added to those.. just at purchase time.. I pass on all of those..

That utterly makes zero sense, as the SC model is all about the country western square shoulder design, as thats what she plays. This is just a Southern Jumbo variant and has doodlie squat with Shery Crow. Somebody in the Gibson marketing department needs to get fired.

Excuse my french but as a marketing professional one thing that really pisses me off about Gibson is how they are just branching out popular models and aiming to milk them through odd diversification like this odd example.

It doesnt do well for the brand and just confuses the consumer. Maybe Gibson should take a leaf from Martins book where they are consilidationg the D-18 line after realising they had too many SKU's available of that model.

Get you act together Gibson and focus on the core models, frustrating ...

[thumbup] I agree and feel the same way ....Great minds think alike....sometimes.. [blink]

I think we all might agree that Sheryl Crowe is one sexy hottie too....Youssir!!

Rod

I don't have a problem with a new Model for Sheryl Crow. She plays more than one model in concert. Martin has several Eric Clapton models , Stephen Stills and Jimmy Buffet models. Woody Guthrie played Martins and Gibson and each has a model for him. People get too hung up on saying a model should only be built a certain way. Ford and Chevy have changed model styling constantly. It is nice to buy a model with a little something different. I have a square Model J-45 and a round. I like them both play them both and am glad that I had the option. It sure is a sharp looking Guitar and I bet it would play and sound well also.

Thanks to the last three posts, I will stick to the subject(guitar). I am sure it is a fine-playing example. I was simply expressing affirmation to EA's post!

I have not changed my opinion(even though "everybody else is doin" it). The auto anology? I am not a 'new model' freak...either. I know....I am all uptight and 'hung-up'....NOT [lol]

At least...in the free world.... there is something for everyone, and the market will dictate. If the marketing works, then great. I want everyone to be successfull..Really!

Rod

i wonder what the price will be.

Just taking the info here into consideration it's the same guitar as the J45 TV Ltd (except for split parallelogram inlays), and with waverley's as stock.

That right there is a real nice guitar.

I bet the price will suffer from signature-itis and cost a boat-load. [crying]

Like eltonwce pointed out, a lot of popular artists have multiple signature models. For example, the new super-pricey super-limited John Mayer from Martin has got to be his fourth or fifth signature guitar. And honestly, I'd rather have an assortment of signature models like this one than some of the guitars Gibson has been doing like the AJ "Pro" or that Sparrow model with the really unfortunate pickguard.

• 2 months later...

A few weeks ago I was in the UK and played both of them side by side, they basically have the some tone. In respect to these two specimens I thought the Sheryl Crow was a little brighter and zippier, but it could have been just the strings. I think they are identical excpet the finish, detailing.

Who owns a Sheryl crow how are they compared to a hummingbird? I love the look and I love my hummingbird so?

This guitar really doesn't offend me. I'd be highly unlikely to buy it, but if there are SC fans out there who fancy having an SJ model endorsed by her, good for them. Of course it comes with a price, naturally... All sig models are affected similarly, some more than others.

I've never fancied a sig model anything, yet I ended up with two.... The Keb Mo as I wanted a 12-fretter blues king and that was my option at the time outside of going custom order or different manufacturer. LIke EA and his Arron Lewis I had no idea who/what Keb Mo was, I thought it was either some dead geezer or a place in the 'delta' or something. I bought the Woody Guthrie as it was a J-45 with nicer fretboard inlays, had the banner appointments etc and was cheaper than a std J-45 at the time. I haven't bought any Keb Mo records nor any more Woody Guthrie records than I already had before buying these guitars. They simply fitted specs/aesthetics I was attracted to and sounded the way I wanted and expected them to.

I suppose in marketing terms it's easier to associate to a character/star/performer/celebrity than it is to a cryptic name such as the Southern Jumbo VBVGeSB (vintage banner, vintage gloss (VOS), electric, sunburst) or the Southern Jumbo VBNGSB (vintage banner, New gloss, sunburst). As a marketing professional EA is more aware of the lure of a 'star' than most of us.

I suppose we need to remember the only ones fussing and fawning over the specs are us, the guitar geeks, I've never had anyone ask me what bracing I had or if my guitar was made with hide-glue. Discerning ears are almost always accompanied with discerning eyes. I'd defy any of us in a true blind test to pick out any differences in specs in the detail they're often discussed.

My best guess is that Gibson primarily sell acoustic guitars to a lot of people who are aware of SC if not a fan, even of the 'tuners'. For the joe public guy there's a certain perception of a guitar being high calibre or of a certain quality when it's representing a stars name. Silly if you think about it for any length of time, but sort of true nonetheless.

It's just an SJ, who really cares, if they sell enough of them to keep people in jobs while the difficulties of market forces and lacey acts are a big concern, good on 'em.

As for too many variations existing on the SJ, my take on it is this:

The Woody Guthrie is essentially a 1943(?) reissue

The Aaron Lewis is essentially a 1951 reissue

Gibson has just given them celebrity names instead of calling them "19XX Reissue." And neither of those, nor the Sheryl Crow in the picture, have the artist's name anywhere on the outside of the guitar, so it is all good with me. What starts to irk me is when stars make cosmetic changes that really only they would like - like the paisley inlays on the 12th fret of the Brad Paisley J-45. Sheesh! I would never buy that guitar just because of those stupid inlays!

Along the lines of the above, I wonder if the Sheryl Crow will be essentially a "19XX Reissue" of any particular year.

All hide glue and red spruce top.

Plus, it has the Trance Amulet pick-up, which is a great option, especially if the price is well below the Jackson Browne model.

MAP will be about $3549.99

If all of this is true, it sounds like one hell of a bargain compared to the prices of the J-45 Legend and the Jackson Browne! This is pretty much exactly what I want, with the exception that I would prefer a firestripe pickguard, which is an easy change (ask Buc!)

The kids may have to go a few months without food when this thing comes out! [laugh]

A few weeks ago I was in the UK and played both of them side by side, they basically have the some tone. In respect to these two specimens I thought the Sheryl Crow was a little brighter and zippier, but it could have been just the strings. I think they are identical excpet the finish, detailing.

I want one may have to splurge a bit lol

I have to say I think it's a great service that Jackson Brown and S.Crow are doing in the modern era .

I think those two models will help reintroduce the newer players and fans of gibson acoustics to the 30's features

like the sloted bridge and red spruce tops . I've hear alot of good thing about the J.B model so I think it's been something great for Gibson .

I think Sheryl's model will help expand that in the stores . I think we are coming full circle here and the tide for acoustic music is starting to rise again . And these type of instruments will be great for a newer generation of pickers.

thank you to both of those artist for reintroducing some of the 30's style features to the newer generation .

I got my first gibson only 2 o 3 years ago and I certainly have grown to like the 30's guitar like the Roy Smeck , Trojans and Original Jumbos .

not to mention the J 35 which I think is a work of art .

JC

As for too many variations existing on the SJ, my take on it is this:

The Woody Guthrie is essentially a 1943(?) reissue

The Aaron Lewis is essentially a 1951 reissue

Gibson has just given them celebrity names instead of calling them "19XX Reissue." And neither of those, nor the Sheryl Crow in the picture, have the artist's name anywhere on the outside of the guitar, so it is all good with me. What starts to irk me is when stars make cosmetic changes that really only they would like - like the paisley inlays on the 12th fret of the Brad Paisley J-45. Sheesh! I would never buy that guitar just because of those stupid inlays!

Along the lines of the above, I wonder if the Sheryl Crow will be essentially a "19XX Reissue" of any particular year.

I'm with you here, though I doubt it will really be a full-on reissue of any given year.

The Woody purports to be a 1945 reissue. It is essentially a modern J45 Standard in banner livery. Photos of Guthrie with an SJ, which most assume to be his SJ, show rosewood sides. The Woody has hog sides. According to JT, the SJ seen in Guthrie's hands may or may not have a rosewood back. The Woody definitely has a hog back. The neck profile on the Woody is a 'traditional V', but it is surely nowhere near as big or chunky as the neck on a real banner, or on your Legend, because it is very close to the profile of my 1991 Howard Roberts Fusion. I love my Woody, but I know what I bought. I like Woody Guthrie, but I didn't buy the guitar because I wanted to have a replica of his or because I wanted to sound like him. I bought it because I decided that I like the sound of Gibson hog and spruce slopeshoulders and the look of banner-era guitars.

I imagine the new Sheryl will appeal to people who want a Woody with neck binding or a banner Aaron Lewis, or some such. With the binding I imagine that it's no more a 1942 reissue than the Woody is a 1945. But I bet it sounds nice.

Here she is playing a banner SJ which I'd assumed was a Woody, but which I now see has neck binding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWDfH51gvc0&feature=fvsr

Archived